HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Groin Strain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=474091)

Goalie3636 02-04-2008 11:04 PM

Groin Strain
So i pulled my groin about a month ago and it's still not quite 100%,, i'd say it's at about 85% right now, but my problem is that our other goalie is not playing that well right now and i've been getting a lot of pressure from coaches and players (even the other goalie) to play and we have an important game coming up against the only team that can really challenge us this year...

I have been going to physio and it has been helping but it's not going as well as i would like it to... i was just wondering if anyone on here knows anything about this type or injury, whether you have experienced it before or you are a doctor and what are some of the things that i can do to get back quicker... I am willing to play through pain as long as my performance doesn't suffer and i let the team down... this will also likely be my last year or hockey so i'm not too worried about long-term injury

I have been reading about cortisone shots and i am considering it... i am just wondering if that's the best way to go and how i would go about doing it (ie. do i just go to family doctor or do i go to the hospital... can anyone get them upon request?) or are there any other alternatives?

Thank you in advance for your replies...

speedway 02-05-2008 11:08 AM

No expert, but I have been through this with my son. He has been been helped by ice, groin straps, compression shorts and appropriate strength training in the gym progressing to slide boards.He is a player though, not a goalie.He did reccomend the groin strap to a goalie who found it useful, even for prevention.I would not have a cortisone shot because I know that they can weaken tendons.

Superman33 02-05-2008 06:32 PM

I pulled my groin and didn't stop playing at all. It hurt my ability to play, I wasn't nearly as quick and I couldn't move side to side well, my leg would just give out. About a week after I pulled it, 2 games and 4 practices, I tore my groin. It just kept pulling further and further apart until after a save in practice going to my right I just couldn't stand anymore. The doctor said that I would have had to wait a month if I just stopped when I pulled it, but after I tore it I had to wait 3 months.

If I was you I would wait a little longer till it is 100%. If you go back now and try to play full speed, without even practicing, then you could be in some trouble and possibly be done for a while. Every since I had my injury I use compression shorts during almost every sport I play. I haven't had any trouble since then, but I did stop playing hockey the year after the injury due to me concentrating on school.

sharkticon 02-05-2008 07:01 PM

Anybody gonna make the "i pull my groin every night and all i ever got was hairy palms" joke?