HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Losing legs momentarily while getting burned (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=474155)

vexXed 02-05-2008 04:31 AM

Losing legs momentarily while getting burned
 
As a D man, I tend to be defensively responsible and am always watching for the oppositions high man. Breakaways do happen against us while I'm on the ice, but rarely I'm always looking to prevent them.

Anyway, I know that positioning is key when defending an oncoming forward, both laterally and by matching the forwards oncoming speed. However, there are times when a forward who is just crazy quick will come straight at me and is closing the distance considerably. I suppose my fault for being too close, or just not being fast enough while skating backwards. A stickcheck here is hardly going to work, and I find that in the midst of pivoting to chase him when he gets by me, my legs kinda momentarily lose themselves and its almost like I forget how to skate for a couple of seconds. I fall and get back up quickly to skate after him but again that feeling is there and I must look like a comlpete tool for 2 seconds. I don't know how else to describe it, perhaps poise and composure in terms of skating?

Anyone else have this at all? What can be done to 'train' the muscles to not become jelly when it happens? It doesn't happen often but when it does its pretty embarrassing :shakehead

MrRuin 02-05-2008 04:50 AM

it sounds to me a bit like a confidence issue. Im also a D man and not a very good skater. I get burned all the time by high flying wings and I can relate to the feeling you get somewhat.

All you can do is to practice backwards skating and pivoting to gain confidence in your skating ability. This is really all you can do I think. Try your best and dont get down on yourself if they get past you. Instead, think about what you could have done better to prevent them from going by.

On Axis 02-05-2008 07:17 AM

How do you skate when you're challenged 1 on 1? I find that I fall easier when I'm standing too straight up, as opposed to when I'm in a low, crouched position. I don't have the best foot speed, but I can force the forward to the outside easily.

Its always best to increase foot speed. I do a lot of wind sprints, and these help a lot. Just find a nice grassy area, and run them till your heart's content.

pld459666 02-05-2008 08:04 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 12352492)
As a D man, I tend to be defensively responsible and am always watching for the oppositions high man. Breakaways do happen against us while I'm on the ice, but rarely I'm always looking to prevent them.

Anyway, I know that positioning is key when defending an oncoming forward, both laterally and by matching the forwards oncoming speed. However, there are times when a forward who is just crazy quick will come straight at me and is closing the distance considerably. I suppose my fault for being too close, or just not being fast enough while skating backwards. A stickcheck here is hardly going to work, and I find that in the midst of pivoting to chase him when he gets by me, my legs kinda momentarily lose themselves and its almost like I forget how to skate for a couple of seconds. I fall and get back up quickly to skate after him but again that feeling is there and I must look like a comlpete tool for 2 seconds. I don't know how else to describe it, perhaps poise and composure in terms of skating?

Anyone else have this at all? What can be done to 'train' the muscles to not become jelly when it happens? It doesn't happen often but when it does its pretty embarrassing :shakehead

Sounds to me like you're not anticipating the need to turn around quick enough and when the decision is made, 1 it's to late already and 2 you rush it and get tangled in foot.

I'd take a moment to see how many breakaways happen when your on the bench to when you're out there and compare the 2, it may be that while you think you're giving yourself enough room to safeguard that, you may be playing to far up. Additionally, if turning is a problem, you may want to give your self the cushion of an extra step back so as to increase the gap between you and the on-coming forward.

vexXed 02-06-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRuin (Post 12352516)
it sounds to me a bit like a confidence issue. Im also a D man and not a very good skater. I get burned all the time by high flying wings and I can relate to the feeling you get somewhat.

All you can do is to practice backwards skating and pivoting to gain confidence in your skating ability. This is really all you can do I think. Try your best and dont get down on yourself if they get past you. Instead, think about what you could have done better to prevent them from going by.

I don't think its a confidence issue. My skating isn't the best but I can do well enough to keep up in the league I play in. I really can't explain it apart from what I said above, but I think you're right and I should practice pivoting again and again REALLY quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel (Post 12352835)
How do you skate when you're challenged 1 on 1? I find that I fall easier when I'm standing too straight up, as opposed to when I'm in a low, crouched position. I don't have the best foot speed, but I can force the forward to the outside easily.

Its always best to increase foot speed. I do a lot of wind sprints, and these help a lot. Just find a nice grassy area, and run them till your heart's content.

I used to be more of a stand up skater but found that while skating backwards I fell on my ass too much, so now I am lower to the ice but not too low. Urgh... hitting the gym was one of those new years resolutions that I haven't actually started yet :shakehead

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 12353097)
Sounds to me like you're not anticipating the need to turn around quick enough and when the decision is made, 1 it's to late already and 2 you rush it and get tangled in foot.

I'd take a moment to see how many breakaways happen when your on the bench to when you're out there and compare the 2, it may be that while you think you're giving yourself enough room to safeguard that, you may be playing to far up. Additionally, if turning is a problem, you may want to give your self the cushion of an extra step back so as to increase the gap between you and the on-coming forward.

Yeah I think the anticipation thing is probably one of the main reasons, as well as foot speed. When I normally pivot, it is when I have time and therefore not hurried in any way.

When I'm on the ice there are less breakaways compared to the other defensemen on my team as I am always watching the high man, but of course they still happen from time to time. I guess I always want to develop my puck rushing skills but the reality of the situation is that I'm more of a defensive D man, so any attempt to join the rush or playing too far up probably results in what I'm talking about. I normally already have that extra step cushion, so I reckon it's just my bad decision making and timing as far as offensive help goes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.