HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Tape Question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=474278)

FiveHole23 02-05-2008 12:59 PM

Tape Question

Something I noticed this year that I havn't years passed is players only taping the toe of their blade.

I was wondering the purpose behind this. The player im thinking of is Jared Boll. Does he does this because it puts more spin/torque or whatever on his wrist shot or is it more of a puck handling thing

Do any of you do this and what does it help you with?

I have noticed other players only taping the toe but hes the only one that comes to mind.

Image off Yahoo.
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...ey_ohjl103.jpg

Heat McManus 02-05-2008 01:05 PM

I'm not sure about pros, but a lot of guys tape it there because the comp blades chip and taping the toe adds some life to the stick. Once water gets in there it eats away at the foam on the inside.

Redden Hogalot* 02-05-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 12356595)
I'm not sure about pros, but a lot of guys tape it there because the comp blades chip and taping the toe adds some life to the stick. Once water gets in there it eats away at the foam on the inside.

Yeah, that happened to me a few times. I ruined a great stick like that a few years ago.

Corey Perry does it too.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/a...e/tx.perry.jpg

FiveHole23 02-05-2008 02:06 PM

Doesnt the teams pick up the tab on the sticks?
I would think the pros wouldnt care if their stick got chipped or whatever because they just grab another out of the stick room.

DuckedUpOnQuack 02-05-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJrumble (Post 12357298)
I would think the pros wouldnt care if their stick got chipped or whatever because they just grab another out of the stick room.

Not all sticks (even the same kind) are made equal. Some just feel better, and when you get those sticks, you like to hang on to them. Also, a lot of players are highly superstitious - you get on a scoring streak and chances are they want to keep using the same stick.

Heat McManus 02-05-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJrumble (Post 12357298)

Teams pay for sticks. I was referring more to average guys.

Crosbyfan 02-05-2008 03:54 PM

You would think the league was paying for them with all the slashing calls just because they break. Sometimes it seems like you can more easily get away with a slash to the back of someones head!

Pittsburgh Proud 02-05-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 12356595)

it can also depend on where you handle the puck on your stick and gives more control to snap shots off of your toe. Oh and some good ol' candle wax will help stop water

hockeyfreak95* 02-05-2008 07:16 PM

tape the toe;it protects the tip of your blade and with white tape i think you see the puck better

sc37 02-05-2008 09:44 PM

Pros have an equipment budget each year...they do try to recoup some of that through the sale of leftover items at the end of the season.

And the tape on the blade does give more spin on the shot..and the main reason for toe taping like that is that is where you want to handle the puck. You want to be stick handling from maybe the mid to toe area, and further back you might risk it roll off the heel too.

stickglovesshirt* 02-05-2008 10:33 PM

kovy, walz, demitra and perron (whos gear setup mimics kovys) are some others that like to only tape the toe

94now 02-06-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJrumble (Post 12356505)
Something I noticed this year that I havn't years passed is players only taping the toe of their blade.

I was wondering the purpose behind this. The player im thinking of is Jared Boll. Does he does this because it puts more spin/torque or whatever on his wrist shot or is it more of a puck handling thing

Do any of you do this and what does it help you with?

I have noticed other players only taping the toe but hes the only one that comes to mind.

Image off Yahoo.
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...ey_ohjl103.jpg

For wooden sticks the purpose of taping is dual: to protect the blade from moisture (primary) and to create the better puck rotation while shooting or passing (secondary). For composite sticks moisture is not the issue. However, the glass like blade surface makes getting any grip on the puck difficult. Plus, many believe that wood puck handling feel that is lost with composite stick could be somewhat restored by applying the tape. I know people that use two tape layers to make for that softer feel. Those who do not care abot it tape just a toe because toe is usually off the ice when shot is made and tape on it does not slow down your wrist shot release as much (any tape esp. electric one would slow your release more or less). If your weapon of choice is slap shot, you should beter tape the heel as well or your blade wount last long even is it''s not the wood. Taping the toe only is no go for wooden sticks atall for very same reason.

krutch11 02-06-2008 06:06 PM

How do you even manage to tape the toe? I remember a while back I tried to do it to see what difference it made and about 3 inches from the toe my tape started twisting and I couldn't get it on sqaure with the blade so I just gave up on it. Any tips on how to do it without making the tape all wrinkly?

Jarick 02-07-2008 10:32 AM

Tape over the toe like the blade keeps going. Leave a little room on either side so the tape presses up against itself when you fold over. Then cut the excess off with scissors.

I tried taping heel to toe on one stick and just the toe with another. The toe only taping put more spin on the puck, giving me a harder and more accurate shot for wristers. Taping heel to toe made it a little easier to catch and make passes. The next game, I scored a goal with the heel to toe stick, and the tape peeled off the toe only, so I went heel to toe up until last week.

Now I'm trying friction tape and toe only, so we'll see how that works out again.

SiouxPride 02-08-2008 03:19 PM

so, theres no dif then just taping the toe to taping heel to toe?