HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Superstars in The Nat (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=474862)

countthecashricknash 02-06-2008 05:45 PM

Superstars in The Nat

I think we should all put to rest the notion that Blue Jacket fans come out to see superstars like Ovechkin play at Nationwide Arena. I was really expecting a decent crowd to show up and I was unimpressed with the turnout. I realize it was a tuesday night, but we are in a playoff race and AO came to play. Players just don't attract fans in Columbus like good teams and the day of the week.

OUJacket 02-06-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countthecashricknash (Post 12380199)
I think we should all put to rest the notion that Blue Jacket fans come out to see superstars like Ovechkin play at Nationwide Arena. I was really expecting a decent crowd to show up and I was unimpressed with the turnout. I realize it was a tuesday night, but we are in a playoff race and AO came to play. Players just don't attract fans in Columbus like good teams and the day of the week.

Considering that earlier in the season, weekday night crowds maxxed out around 12,000, a Tuesday crowd of 14,450 looks pretty decent to me. Even more surprising following the game that 18,600 saw on Saturday. I thought for sure that would be doomsday for the ticket office.

Timeless Winter 02-06-2008 06:56 PM

I wouldn't spend $80 bucks for a ticket, $20 bucks to park, then $8 dollars for a beer just to watch the Jackets lose, I can do that for free at home. (this is if I lived in Cbus)

Matthew 02-06-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless Winter (Post 12381283)
I wouldn't spend $80 bucks for a ticket, $20 bucks to park, then $8 dollars for a beer just to watch the Jackets lose, I can do that for free at home. (this is if I lived in Cbus)

I wouldn't either when it's so easy to get 10 dollar tickets, free parking, and not pay for any food/beverages. (I was at the game.)

The attendance took a deserved dive after Saturdays pathetic game in front of a capacity crowd. Middle of the week + 3 game losing streak + crap weather = not appealing to the casual fan that has to work the next day.

JacketsIslesFan 02-06-2008 07:50 PM

Just speaking for myself, I would've loved to go to that game if it weren't for my work responsibilities during the week. If it weren't for work, I would've definitely been there.

BZArcher 02-06-2008 08:42 PM

It was a pretty good crowd, actually, seeing as I was actually there. 14,440 seems a little lower than I thought it was. The lower bowl was pretty well loaded, I know the green seats were pretty full, and what I could see of the upper bowl didn't look bad either. Most of the empty seats I saw were near the sky terrace, the club, and the suite seats.

countthecashricknash 02-06-2008 08:59 PM

I was there also. I think that $90 for a club seat is obviously way too much, but there are many companies that are willing to pay that. Those club sections are always 3/4 empty. I love the student discount they offer though. Last night my friend and I got $42 seats for $15 because of it. I got to sit directly beneath the Caps TV guys, which was kind of unique.

17-9-1 til playoffs

countthecashricknash 02-06-2008 09:24 PM

Another case in point. We drew 15,127 vs. Phoenix last tuesday, whom we usually draw horrible crowds against. We go down 700 when we play a team with a superstar who never comes to Nationwide. It's almost as if the fan base has given up entirely already. We're only 4 pts out! We can do this.

17-9-1 to playoffs

Double-Shift Lassť 02-06-2008 09:25 PM

For what it's worth (or FWIW for you youngsters) -
I happen to know there was some consternation among the powers-that-be over how and if to market the game based on the Ovechkin factor. What was decided I can't say - but the fact that there was some doubt over whether folks would respond to a campaign built solely around a young superstar NHL player would seem to play into the original poster's theory.

MFRONE 02-06-2008 09:26 PM

With 10 of 13 on the road it's time to give up the playoff dream this season

Robert 02-06-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFRONE (Post 12384012)
With 10 of 13 on the road it's time to give up the playoff dream this season

Were did that come from...:biglaugh: As for superstars, I know for a fact several season ticket holders who share seats faught over this game, the superstar they wanted to see was Ovechkin.

JACKETfan 02-06-2008 10:05 PM

I wonder if there's a "Super Bowl Hangover" effect working here.
A lot of people party on Super Bowl Sunday and the occasional fan probably isn't going to go again out two days later.

I watched the hockey game at home for that reason.
(I was also a little miffed about the loss the game before which I was at.)

BZArcher 02-06-2008 10:30 PM

Also, let's remember again: A weekday game. How many of us went to the game, or watched on TV, and called in sick today? I doubt it was very many. Some people, though, don't think they can go to a hockey game on a weeknight without missing work the next day, and I'm sure it was a factor.

MFRONE 02-06-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 12384508)
Were did that come from...:biglaugh: As for superstars, I know for a fact several season ticket holders who share seats faught over this game, the superstar they wanted to see was Ovechkin.

I was responding to the last line of the last post by countthecash

Robert 02-06-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFRONE (Post 12386415)
I was responding to the last line of the last post by countthecash

Gotcha....;)

leesmith 02-06-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 12381378)
I wouldn't either when it's so easy to get 10 dollar tickets, free parking, and not pay for any food/beverages. (I was at the game.)

The attendance took a deserved dive after Saturdays pathetic game in front of a capacity crowd. Middle of the week + 3 game losing streak + crap weather = not appealing to the casual fan that has to work the next day.

Not to mention Ohio State v. Michigan basketball was going on at the same time.

Pluckfur 02-07-2008 12:00 AM

My guess is that everyone who knew who Ovechkin was, and wanted to be at the game, WAS there.

We're a fringe sport, y'all. (Yes, I'm excepting Canadians in the "we.")

polar 02-07-2008 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=BZArcher;12385310]Also, let's remember again....

Norway eh? I was raised for a few years in Stavanger. Anywho, I was at the game Saturday. It was obviously a terrible game. I didn't go last night, but I watched on TV and Ovechkin is a monster, he does it all. What a severe threat that guy is on the ice. Anybody watching the San Jose game? Jody looks real good out there, 10x better than he looked in Cbus.

Timeless Winter 02-07-2008 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=polar;12386946]
Quote:

Originally Posted by BZArcher (Post 12385310)
Also, let's remember again....

Norway eh? I was raised for a few years in Stavanger. Anywho, I was at the game Saturday. It was obviously a terrible game. I didn't go last night, but I watched on TV and Ovechkin is a monster, he does it all. What a severe threat that guy is on the ice. Anybody watching the San Jose game? Jody looks real good out there, 10x better than he looked in Cbus.

I watched, Shelley looked good, but it's amazing how bad San Jose is at home.

Renion 02-07-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless Winter (Post 12387720)
I watched, Shelley looked good, but it's amazing how bad San Jose is at home when not playing the Jackets.

Community service.

pete goegan 02-07-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless Winter (Post 12381283)

I was there, saw two great stars (Nash and Ovechkin) at the top of their games, and thought we were going to win. I was disappointed by the loss, but still had a great time. Funny, I didn't miss you, a bit.

Wease 02-07-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 12389415)
I was there, saw two great stars (Nash and Ovechkin) at the top of their games, and thought we were going to win. I was disappointed by the loss, but still had a great time. Funny, I didn't miss you, a bit.

I paid $100 for my two lower bowl seats (Section 110), $5 to park (do people really pay $20 to park at the game? There are a few good lots in short walking distance for $5), and maybe $35 in beer, popcorn, and other food. I had a great time, other than the OT loss... :thumbu:

Imjustabill 02-07-2008 12:08 PM

I'm still waiting for the day when the superstars skating at the Nat are wearing the home colors. :cry::sarcasm:

Renion 02-07-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Waco Kid (Post 12391749)
I'm still waiting for the day when the superstars skating at the Nat are wearing the home colors. :cry::sarcasm:

Well, they're almost there. They wear red and white, just no blue. People always come out to see 'em, too!

cbjrocks 02-07-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 12384508)

I went because I wanted to see Ovechkin play. I didn't go to see Ovechkin beat them in OT.