HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   White Goalie Pads (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=475308)

Stephen 02-07-2008 04:54 PM

White Goalie Pads
 
Can goalies on here please explain why the majority of NHL goalies now favour the generic white pads, blockers and catchers? Is it really because they think they can trick shooters into shooting at the white part of their pads? It's too bad more goalies don't do the coloured pad combos like Roberto Luongo. Goalies definitely looked better in the mid 90s than nowadays with all of our Arturs Irbe wannabes out there.

xeric716x 02-07-2008 05:18 PM

i think they care more about stopping shots than the way they look

the_pen_is_mightier 02-07-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 12396325)
Can goalies on here please explain why the majority of NHL goalies now favour the generic white pads, blockers and catchers? Is it really because they think they can trick shooters into shooting at the white part of their pads? It's too bad more goalies don't do the coloured pad combos like Roberto Luongo. Goalies definitely looked better in the mid 90s than nowadays with all of our Arturs Irbe wannabes out there.

It's just a fad. If you're thinking of Rick, remember that he wears about a bazillion different pairs of pads.
Some might say that white looks bigger, but all goalies look pretty big to me.
This being said, I've read that many shooters say that very bright colors (*cough...MAF...*cough) are easier to pick out when pressed to shoot, making it easier to aim.

Victory Ali* 02-07-2008 05:36 PM

I've always wondered what the psychology behind pad colors was. I wonder if there actually is a difference between colors. I think I might write Mythbusters is a few minutes and pose this question.

Personally, I'd wear all black pads so that they would be harder to pick up.

DevsFan84 02-07-2008 07:05 PM

They are supposed to make you look bigger in net. Don't ask me how or why, but thats the purpose. They also quickly look beat up because every shot leaves a mark, but some people like that.

Stephen 02-07-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier (Post 12396658)
It's just a fad. If you're thinking of Rick, remember that he wears about a bazillion different pairs of pads.
Some might say that white looks bigger, but all goalies look pretty big to me.
This being said, I've read that many shooters say that very bright colors (*cough...MAF...*cough) are easier to pick out when pressed to shoot, making it easier to aim.

Yeah I was just thinking about MAF switching his pads to white, which is unfortunate.

Stephen 02-07-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x eric x (Post 12396642)
i think they care more about stopping shots than the way they look

I don't know, one of the first things that drew me into hockey as a little kid was the goalie equipment. Ther There are still goalies out there who have nice coloured pads, like Huet and Luongo.

http://craig01.itgo.com/images/patrick_roy.jpg

Roy certainly didn't need white pads to look big. It just looks so much better.

Felix29 02-07-2008 09:34 PM

Roy's pads he had during his late-Habs, early-Avs years (with the white on the inside of the legs) were meant to make the shooter think they had more room in the 5 hole... also, my own opinion, I think MAF's yellow pads are hideous! Personally, I currently like Harding's gold pads. I'm biased, but Potvin's black-and-blue KOHO "Cat" pads were the best ever.

RobertKron 02-07-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 12399780)
I don't know, one of the first things that drew me into hockey as a little kid was the goalie equipment. Ther There are still goalies out there who have nice coloured pads, like Huet and Luongo.

http://craig01.itgo.com/images/patrick_roy.jpg

Roy certainly didn't need white pads to look big. It just looks so much better.

http://www.goaliecards.com/roymc90.jpg

BaconStrips 02-07-2008 10:40 PM

Roy was also instrumental in the whole lets make a solid colour then add white in the middle that was big with the mid 90s Koho pads.

Habsfan 32 02-07-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix29 (Post 12402036)
Roy's pads he had during his late-Habs, early-Avs years (with the white on the inside of the legs) were meant to make the shooter think they had more room in the 5 hole... also, my own opinion, I think MAF's yellow pads are hideous! Personally, I currently like Harding's gold pads. I'm biased, but Potvin's black-and-blue KOHO "Cat" pads were the best ever.


I agree about the POTVIN pads they were the bomb back in the day!

Harv 02-08-2008 12:25 AM

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2008-01/34558903.jpg

It's a legit point.

I myself will never buy all white pads. I usually buy colors that match my teams color. Although my current pads are mostly white. But it never really crossed my mind when ordering the custon colors.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80...691cropped.jpg

Robo-Pope 02-08-2008 07:06 AM

If anything, I'd go for all black pads, hoping people will lose track of loose pucks in front of them.

RedK 02-08-2008 07:23 AM

I think it has more to do with practicality. There have been a couple of incidents in the past few years where goalies got their gear in their team colors, and were traded. There were issues with the new gear not matching the new team. The goalies were forced to get new gear by the league/team, which wasn't broken in. This affected their playing style for a little while until it was broken in. I think Osgood was one of the guys affected by this, for example.

Going with neutral colored gear allows you to match any team, any time, no waiting.

Goalie27* 02-08-2008 11:45 AM

What "majority" are you talking about? Some goalies do it, but that's their choice. Most still have colored pads...

the_pen_is_mightier 02-08-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedK (Post 12407335)
I think it has more to do with practicality. There have been a couple of incidents in the past few years where goalies got their gear in their team colors, and were traded. There were issues with the new gear not matching the new team. The goalies were forced to get new gear by the league/team, which wasn't broken in. This affected their playing style for a little while until it was broken in. I think Osgood was one of the guys affected by this, for example.

Going with neutral colored gear allows you to match any team, any time, no waiting.

Good point. This was more likely an issue a few years ago though.

Today, NHL goalies can have new gear sent to them pretty quickly, and for the most part, their gear is PRO STUFFED, i.e.; less stuffing. This makes them lighter and provides faster break-in. The pads do break down faster because of this, however, when you're not paying for your gear, you can afford to go through multiple sets throughout the year, similar to skates.

Also, it is possible to "paint" over pads. The paint does crack and chip off, however, it does the trick until new pads arrive.

Ex: Kipper with Calgary, still using his San Jose gear. The teal has been covered up.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sport...miikka1120.jpg

Stephen 02-08-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MW (Post 12402133)

That was in the early 90s before anyone had coloured pads!

Stephen 02-08-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie27 (Post 12409690)
What "majority" are you talking about? Some goalies do it, but that's their choice. Most still have colored pads...

Most goalies have predominantly white pads, with a bit of colouring.

Very few goalies have the solid coloured pads like Huet, Luongo, Labarberra and Lundqvist.

Guys should go back to these beauties:

http://cache1.gettyimages.com/xt/736...editorial1&s=1

Stephen 02-08-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix29 (Post 12402036)
Roy's pads he had during his late-Habs, early-Avs years (with the white on the inside of the legs) were meant to make the shooter think they had more room in the 5 hole... also, my own opinion, I think MAF's yellow pads are hideous! Personally, I currently like Harding's gold pads. I'm biased, but Potvin's black-and-blue KOHO "Cat" pads were the best ever.

Potvin was the most stylish goalie of all time!

triggrman 02-08-2008 02:52 PM

I don't know about you all but I look for the net when I shoot, black or colored pads make it easier for me to find the net (yes, I have my head down to much, I know) white or offwhite pads blend in with the net, making it harder to pick-up.

supaman 02-08-2008 04:27 PM

White pads make it tougher for shooters to see the net at a quick glance. They also apparently make it easier for the goalie to see the puck on contact. Thats what i've heard at least. Personally right now, i'm using black and yellow rbks.

the_pen_is_mightier 02-08-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 12411122)
Potvin was the most stylish goalie of all time!

The CAT is why I wear #29!!!

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/30491...4831B75F48EF45

Nosebleed Section 02-08-2008 04:42 PM

They need white camo pads that have netting print all over them.

The shooters would be like "oh no WTF?!?!?!? All I see is a goalie helmet and torso ohs well I'll shoot were his pads should be". And then be like "oh noes he has pads and he stopped my shot!!111one"

Felix29 02-08-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier (Post 12414047)

Simply the best! I also originally wore #29 because of Potvin. Has a little bit more meaning now (if only in a beer league). Now I wear #29 for my son. His birthday is April 19, 2006... 04+19+06=29!

densetsu 04-22-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosebleed Section (Post 12414270)
They need white camo pads that have netting print all over them.

The shooters would be like "oh no WTF?!?!?!? All I see is a goalie helmet and torso ohs well I'll shoot were his pads should be". And then be like "oh noes he has pads and he stopped my shot!!111one"

Like this guy?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...o_trick_shots/

;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.