HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is Scott Gomez our best FA signing ever? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=476944)

damons 02-11-2008 10:57 AM

Is Scott Gomez our best FA signing ever?

I know it's only the first year of a long term deal but he's still very young and a proven winner. What more can you ask for?

dank 02-11-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damons (Post 12458562)
I know it's only the first year of a long term deal but he's still very young and a proven winner. What more can you ask for?

6 and a half more years of this and more.. wayyyyyyy too early.. and i'm sure some of the elder statesmen will point out another signing that is pretty up there as well..

damons 02-11-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dank (Post 12458603)
6 and a half more years of this and more.. wayyyyyyy too early.. and i'm sure some of the elder statesmen will point out another signing that is pretty up there as well..

You are right but for once can we give credit to mgmt for a good signing. If he was a bust we'd be killing Sather and company.

BlueShirts88 02-11-2008 11:04 AM

I dont know about the best signing ever, but he is definatly up there with one of the best. I think he is a bit overpaid but since the cap should be increasing with time, it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Im glad we have a proven center locked up long term.:thumbu:

WhipNash27 02-11-2008 11:04 AM

Adam Graves
09.03.1991 Signed as a Free Agent

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-11-2008 11:05 AM

I don't know what more you could want from Gomez. He's been great.

clmetsfan 02-11-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 12458700)

Agreed, but I also agree with the others who think that it might be a bit too early to call it the best FA signing ever after 3/4 of a season (about 10% of the whole contract).

strongbad3689 02-11-2008 11:09 AM

i admit i was a bit skeptical at first when we signed both him and drury, but i always liked the guy even though he was a devil, and he has done his job

ThirdEye 02-11-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 12458700)

But he's only going to be a 70-80 point center :shakehead

No matter how well he fits in here you will always here trash talk about him because of the contract and the fact that he plays for the NYR

I'd wager he would be on pace for 90 points right now if Jagr's production was even half of what it was 2 years ago. He's probably still waiting for the day when he's paired with a sniper of Heatley's caliber

bumrusherer 02-11-2008 11:11 AM

The only thing that stops him from being mentioned with the other great Centers, is his shooting.
Nobody has better accuracy at shooting straight at the goalies chest, than Gomez.

If he had Drury's shot....Oh my goodness!!

Shadowtron 02-11-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 12458684)
Adam Graves
09.03.1991 Signed as a Free Agent

Agree. At least during my time as a fan.

Inferno 02-11-2008 11:30 AM

Yep, gravey by a country mile.

Fletch 02-11-2008 11:39 AM

Perhaps not best ever...

but Gomez has exceeded my expectations of him. Thus far, he's been worth every penny of his contract (if prorated to today).

I'm starting to warm to Drury again, but believe he's pretty well overpaid.

Thirdeye: what is interesting is that Gomez has 7 points in his last 7 games while his linemates, Jagr and Straka, have zero - that's pretty impressive.

Brooklyndevil 02-11-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdEye (Post 12458769)
But he's only going to be a 70-80 point center :shakehead

No matter how well he fits in here you will always here trash talk about him because of the contract and the fact that he plays for the NYR

I'd wager he would be on pace for 90 points right now if Jagr's production was even half of what it was 2 years ago. He's probably still waiting for the day when he's paired with a sniper of Heatley's caliber

That's what his career stats indicate. Gomez is a good player, All Star caliber this season, but he just doesn't score enough goals to be the man. This isn't sour grapes. I never thought he was the man when he played for the Devils the past 7 years. Was he a good signing for the Rangers, so far so good for you guys, but is he worth that contract, I don't think so, but time will tell.

Sockosensei 02-11-2008 11:44 AM

Best ever? WAY to early to say.
But man, the guy plays some great two-way hockey, and competes hard. With a smile as a bonus. And there's no one I feel more comfortable having handle the puck.

If he plays out the full contract here, he WILL have a 100pt season or two along the line.

Fletch 02-11-2008 11:52 AM

BDevil...

thus far, he has been the Man because the points he's putting up are a result mostly of his work - he's made players around him better. As mentioned, he has 7 points in his last seven games while his linemates have zero - that tells me something. It's still early in the game, so I'm only commenting on his first 50-something games, but I think you'd find a consensus in here that he's been this team's best forward this season.

Claxton 02-11-2008 11:54 AM

All he needs is a talented sniper on the wing. Hossa may fit that bill, and/or I could see Cherepanov filling in quite nicely. He may not have the goal scoring but hes an elite passer, easily.

RangerBoy 02-11-2008 11:57 AM

Michael Nylander was the Rangers best group III signing.For $2.28 million,he was worth every penny.

The Rangers signed Adam Graves to a 5 years/$2 million contract as a group I FA.The Rangers ripped up the deal and have him a new deal during the Cup season.Neil Smith found a comparable to Graves in Troy Mallette and signed Graves.Edmonton wasn't allowed to match because teams weren't allowed to match group I's.Many teams such as Buffalo and the Flyers were interested in signing Graves but the Rangers had in with Graves.Smith drafted him in 1986 for Detroit.

ThirdEye 02-11-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil (Post 12459213)
That's what his career stats indicate. Gomez is a good player, All Star caliber this season, but he just doesn't score enough to be the man. This isn't sour grapes. I never thought he was the man when he played for the Devils the past 7 years. Was he a good signing for the Rangers, so far so good for you guys, but is he worth that contract, I don't think so, but time will tell.

I agree with some of that

Aside from the slow start this season, he has been making things happen just about every game now. I realize his shot isn't good, but I think it's decent enough considering he is a playmaker. I really think he can give us at least 20 goals a season if the chemistry is right

I know his career stats indicate a 70-80 point player, but I think can be more if he wants. He is getting more ice time than he did in New Jersey, and the Rangers defensive system isn't nearly as strict as the Devils was.

Ok, he's definitely not worth 7 million right now. However, this is a player that I have no doubt will give you consistency. He's reliable (never played less than 70 games a season in his whole NHL career) and just entered his prime.

Basically, he's the kind of player you need to win games during the regular season and the playoffs. I'm really happy he's here

Reimer 02-11-2008 11:59 AM

No way, Fleury is the Rangers best FA signing ever.

edit: there we go fixed to save some confusion.

Beacon 02-11-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dank (Post 12458603)

It's tough not to be the best in modern times since we used to have UFAs only after 31-32 before. It was impossible to sign a star UFA in his prime.

broadwayblue 02-11-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 12459445)
No way Fleury is the Rangers best FA signing ever.

I don't think anyone said he was. ;)

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-11-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 12459445)
No way Fleury is the Rangers best FA signing ever.

OK, I'll bite. What exactly are you basing this on?

Inferno 02-11-2008 12:08 PM

Karpa>All

:sarcasm:

Fletch 02-11-2008 12:10 PM

Singn'...

I'm trying to translate the Fleury statemet:

Is it no way Fleury is the best... or no way, Fleury is the best...