HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wash-Isles Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47699)

Kvashinator12 01-29-2004 01:43 AM

Wash-Isles Proposal

to nyi-Zubrus
to was-Parrish

Isles get a bigger forward who has talent, and can also play the PP and PK as well.

Caps get a forward that will take the beating every nite to get the puck in the net.

Darth Milbury 01-29-2004 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
to nyi-Zubrus
to was-Parrish

Isles get a bigger forward who has talent, and can also play the PP and PK as well.

Caps get a forward that will take the beating every nite to get the puck in the net.

One issue is that Parrish is hurt, and won't be tradeable until he returns and demonstrates that he can play.

Wash fans will tell you that Zubrus was in the middle of a breakout season. Accordingly, I think the Caps would say no.

Kvashinator12 01-29-2004 01:58 AM

well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
One issue is that Parrish is hurt, and won't be tradeable until he returns and demonstrates that he can play.

Wash fans will tell you that Zubrus was in the middle of a breakout season. Accordingly, I think the Caps would say no.

true on all accounts, but i thought u would be against it. I like zubrus a lot he was my camp couselor his draft year in hockey camp. I used to skate with him in the early am of the summer.

Drake1588 01-29-2004 01:59 AM

Personally, I think the Caps are going to nurture this guy until he just emerges fully... and by then he'll be of UFA age. You can see it unfolding. I think he will be good one, but at a premium by then because he'll have some leverage.

So yes, I'd be in favor of trading him for that reason, though not necessarily for Parrish. I think the Capitals are high on him and have no intention of dealing him, though. Quite a few others are in line to go first.

Seems the Rangers may have a need for Lang now...

CapitalsCupFantasy 01-29-2004 02:04 AM

Not a chance

Zubrus is/was having a great season (Sans broken foot). He will be one of the younger players that this team is rebuilt around.

Darth Milbury 01-29-2004 02:06 AM

Quote:

true on all accounts, but i thought u would be against it. I like zubrus a lot he was my camp couselor his draft year in hockey camp. I used to skate with him in the early am of the summer.

I'm not keen on trading Parrish. But, I do think that Zubrus' trade value exceeds his at the present time.

regehr 01-29-2004 02:08 AM

Quote:

to nyi-Zubrus
to was-Parrish

No from the Caps. Parrish is a one-dimensional player and Zubrus is big, defensively responsible and has good skills (never mind is younger and cheaper). No way.

DaMick 01-29-2004 02:10 AM

Quote:

to nyi-Zubrus
to was-Parrish

Id do this deal in a manhattan minute... :D

though i heavily doubt the Caps would do this though..

Darth Milbury 01-29-2004 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regehr
No from the Caps. Parrish is a one-dimensional player and Zubrus is big, defensively responsible and has good skills (never mind is younger and cheaper). No way.

Parrish is not one dimensional. The Isles used him to kill penalities and he was one of the forward they always sent out in the last minute of a game to protect a lead. He is streaky as hell, but a reasonably solid two-way guy.

Trottier 01-29-2004 02:36 AM

Quote:

Agree and would also suggest that while Zubrus is clearly bigger, Parrish "plays big." You're not trading Justin Papineau for Keith Primeau here.

I'd pass.

Disgraced Cosmonaut 01-29-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Agree and would also suggest that while Zubrus is clearly bigger, Parrish "plays big." You're not trading Justin Papineau for Keith Primeau here.

I'd pass.

Zubrus gets you Parrish plus.

Trottier 01-29-2004 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
Zubrus gets you Parrish plus.

Not sure what you mean by "gets you Parrish plus". You mean in a deal? Or that he is a superior player to Parrish? They're two different players.

Talent wise, Zubrus is the superior talent. But, as you know, acquiring "superior talent" isn't necessarily the answer to success. (Ask NYR.)

And Kvashinator, who proposed this deal, suggested that NYI gets a "bigger forward". Size-wise, true, but I question whether you gain anything in the physical department.

Point is, Parrish fits in well on NYI (though he may be expendable at some point, given the emergence of Hunter). Don't think it's as simple as kicking him out and slotting Zubrus in.

Drake1588 01-29-2004 04:15 PM

Regardless, as a proposal it's moot. The Caps consider Zubrus one of the players around whom they'd like to build. They are not flush with young prospect centers with size who can score (just solid checking types), and Lang is on his way out. Zubrus is a guy they are going to keep, comparisons to Parrish notwithstanding.

txpd 01-29-2004 05:20 PM

this is correct. Zubrus is an ice time eater. He plays first pp unit and first pk unit.
he can hold his own defensively against the big forwards in the league, like Thornton, Tkachuk, Lecavalier and is progressing nicely as a scorer. He is 25 and makes under $2m. That guy doesn't get traded from any team.

Halpern's game has been revived with the new coach. 7 goals in 23 games and with that the Caps have some flexibility at center. Lang, Nylander, Zubrus, Halpern, Whitfield, Gordon, Sutherby.

What the Caps can get in return for Lang is unknown and Nylander's health may preclude him from being traded. What it would cost to keep Nylander is also unknown. You could see that if trading Lang could get a quality young defenseman, Nylander might could be kept at less than half of what Lang was making. Halpern could continue to play wing. That still leaves the Caps looking pretty nice at center. Nylander, Zubrus, Sutherby/Gordon, and Whitfield.

Drake1588 01-29-2004 05:48 PM

I would be shocked if the Caps offer Nylander a contract this summer; still more surprised if he chooses to accept one if they did tender an offer. Lang will probably be traded, though one never knows. I like him, and hope that if they keep one of the five stars, he is the guy. I just don't know if retaining any of the five is an option Leonsis is willing to consider.

Darth Milbury 01-29-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by "gets you Parrish plus". You mean in a deal? Or that he is a superior player to Parrish? They're two different players.

Talent wise, Zubrus is the superior talent. But, as you know, acquiring "superior talent" isn't necessarily the answer to success. (Ask NYR.)

And Kvashinator, who proposed this deal, suggested that NYI gets a "bigger forward". Size-wise, true, but I question whether you gain anything in the physical department.

Point is, Parrish fits in well on NYI (though he may be expendable at some point, given the emergence of Hunter). Don't think it's as simple as kicking him out and slotting Zubrus in.

I don't disagree with any your points. I wouldn't want to trade Parrish, and I'd personally pass on this deal. That said, I agree with Cap fans who think that Zubrus has higher market value right now. I'd just rather have Parrish.

justdanickoftime* 01-30-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with any your points. I wouldn't want to trade Parrish, and I'd personally pass on this deal. That said, I agree with Cap fans who think that Zubrus has higher market value right now. I'd just rather have Parrish.

isles get
zubrus
3rd round pick this year

caps get
parrish
Robert Nilsson

Drake1588 01-30-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justdanickoftime
isles get
zubrus
3rd round pick this year

caps get
parrish
Robert Nilsson

Why bother with more proposals? Zubrus isn't on the block.

Darth Milbury 01-30-2004 03:18 PM

Basically, I'd rather have Parrish than Zubrus, and I sure as heck would not add a first round pick (Nilson) to the package.

I also agree with the above poster than the Caps are unlikely to deal Zubrus.

Drake1588 01-30-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Basically, I'd rather have Parrish than Zubrus, and I sure as heck would not add a first round pick (Nilson) to the package.

I also agree with the above poster than the Caps are unlikely to deal Zubrus.

I would tend to agree. Given the two franchises' respective positions, one rebuilding and the other much more akin to a contending team year in and year out, these two players belong with their respective teams. I can't see the benefit either from the Washington or the NYI perspective in that swap... and Nilsson would certainly tilt it in the Capitals' favor.

There may be salary reasons why the Islanders would opt to shop Parrish, but if so it would be to a buyer club, not one that is entering a rebuilding phase. Not with his salary.

Disgraced Cosmonaut 01-30-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

I should've expanded on my comments but i meant:

Zubrus' market value in the nhl will yield a higher return than simply Parrish. From the Isles it would yield Parrish plus -------- [fill in the blank; could be a prospect a pick etc.]. I say that because I think it's true. Despite your points about Parrish's value to the Isles, which I happen to think are fairly valid, the "fact" (not literally) is that Parrish would not get you Zubrus.

My point: Parrish's value to the Isles does not mean anything to the Caps. They would want the best return for him. Judging by their recent acquisition of a player who is very similar to Parrish in many production and style ways (Anson Carter), I don't think Parri is what they'd want. Parrish plus Niinimaa (if they're interested in a puck moving defensemen, something their beat writer said the other day on 1050) for Zubrus and Witt. Parrish plus Colliton for Zubrus and a 4th rounder.

If the Isles were to move Parri (and, here comes a run-on, I hope they don't because he's a young veteran with goal scoring experience who pays the price in front of the net and would score more if people took more low hard shots) in a package, I think they want someone like Zubrus, Sturm, (quality lefty) in a package coming back. Just my opinion.

CREW99AW 01-30-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

isles get
zubrus
3rd round pick this year

caps get
parrish
Robert Nilsson

isles scout Feltrin was quoted in Newsday about 2-3 weeks ago saying C. Wang's mandate is building with their young prospects.My guess is the impending cap and tight budget are the reasons.

and while Zubrus's value is a little higher then Parrish's,there's no way the isles would add their #1 prospect Nilsson.The Caps 3rd doesn't come close to evening out this deal.

Darth Milbury 01-30-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
I should've expanded on my comments but i meant:

Zubrus' market value in the nhl will yield a higher return than simply Parrish. From the Isles it would yield Parrish plus -------- [fill in the blank; could be a prospect a pick etc.]. I say that because I think it's true. Despite your points about Parrish's value to the Isles, which I happen to think are fairly valid, the "fact" (not literally) is that Parrish would not get you Zubrus.

My point: Parrish's value to the Isles does not mean anything to the Caps. They would want the best return for him. Judging by their recent acquisition of a player who is very similar to Parrish in many production and style ways (Anson Carter), I don't think Parri is what they'd want. Parrish plus Niinimaa (if they're interested in a puck moving defensemen, something their beat writer said the other day on 1050) for Zubrus and Witt. Parrish plus Colliton for Zubrus and a 4th rounder.

If the Isles were to move Parri (and, here comes a run-on, I hope they don't because he's a young veteran with goal scoring experience who pays the price in front of the net and would score more if people took more low hard shots) in a package, I think they want someone like Zubrus, Sturm, (quality lefty) in a package coming back. Just my opinion.

A reasonable and balanced analysis. Good post.

Wingboy2999 01-30-2004 05:35 PM

Quote:

isles get
zubrus
3rd round pick this year

caps get
parrish
Robert Nilsson

Ouch no way on this one.