HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Something I just saw in the Edmonton Journal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=477198)

Joe T Choker 02-11-2008 09:52 PM

Something I just saw in the Edmonton Journal
 
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...065eef1&k=4531

Quote:

- The Sharks have too many forwards and big Steve Bernier, who's been in and out of coach Ron Wilson's doghouse, might be a bargaining chip to get a defenceman at the deadline. Devin Setoguchi can take his spot in the lineup and Ryane Clowe is two or three weeks from returning from a knee injury.
DO IT POILE!

Paranoid Android 02-11-2008 11:14 PM

Would we really trade with our most hated rival?

Would Koistenin/Klein be enough to land him?

Joe T Choker 02-11-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 12469358)
Would we really trade with our most hated rival?

Would Koistenin/Klein be enough to land him?

NEED: Top 6 Forward

HAVE: Too Many NHL ready Dmen

No, it'd probably take Suter, but they'd then have to add more, ie draft pick

Enoch 02-12-2008 12:02 AM

I think I'm one of the few that just does not like Bernier's game. His hitting is more like thuggery than solid checking/physical play. In fact, I would compare his hits more to Brendan Witt variety - dumb and illegal.

I'll pass on Bernier. Note, I like the idea of bringing in a guy that is physical/can score. I just do not like Steve Bernier ;).

Joe T Choker 02-12-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 12469925)
I think I'm one of the few that just does not like Bernier's game. His hitting is more like thuggery than solid checking/physical play. In fact, I would compare his hits more to Brendan Witt variety - dumb and illegal.

I'll pass on Bernier. Note, I like the idea of bringing in a guy that is physical/can score. I just do not like Steve Bernier ;).

Come on ... please tell me you don't like the women's Olympic Hockey Tournament more than NHL Playoff Hockey ... and hitting is freaking hitting, period ... I guess you want the Preds to be one and done again in the playoffs this spring as well (If we match up with Anaheim, San Jose or any other big team, we will be, because we don't match up well with said teams, and we MUST begin to counter balance that)

barrytrotzsneck 02-12-2008 07:46 AM

I wouldn't bat an eye if we moved Suter for Bernier. I think it's fair value-wise, we can afford it, and I love Bernier's game.

Enoch 02-12-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Trotz (Post 12470188)
Come on ... please tell me you don't like the women's Olympic Hockey Tournament more than NHL Playoff Hockey ... and hitting is freaking hitting, period ... I guess you want the Preds to be one and done again in the playoffs this spring as well (If we match up with Anaheim, San Jose or any other big team, we will be, because we don't match up well with said teams, and we MUST begin to counter balance that)

No - your not understanding my position. Its not the type of player/skillset that I dislike, it is Bernier in particular. I just feel like he is drastically overrated.

triggrman 02-12-2008 09:51 AM

Wow, Ryan Suter 21 points, Bernier (a forward) 22 points. I'd say San Jose would have to add and the Klein or Koistenen + would be the more likely move.

When Suter was paired with Weber they played great.

Jarnberg 02-12-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Trotz (Post 12470188)
Come on ... please tell me you don't like the women's Olympic Hockey Tournament more than NHL Playoff Hockey ... and hitting is freaking hitting, period ... I guess you want the Preds to be one and done again in the playoffs this spring as well (If we match up with Anaheim, San Jose or any other big team, we will be, because we don't match up well with said teams, and we MUST begin to counter balance that)

Straw man argument.

barrytrotzsneck 02-12-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 12472747)
Wow, Ryan Suter 21 points, Bernier (a forward) 22 points. I'd say San Jose would have to add and the Klein or Koistenen + would be the more likely move.

When Suter was paired with Weber they played great.

Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.

jstreet 02-12-2008 10:54 AM

send Klein!

Joe T Choker 02-12-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 12473194)
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.

*checks Patrick Marleau's season* ... yup ... there's part of the reason right there

triggrman 02-12-2008 12:12 PM

Just thought I'd take a moment to remind everyone.

Leipold sucks.

Joe T Choker 02-12-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 12474692)
Just thought I'd take a moment to remind everyone.

Leipold sucks.

thank god Poile doesn't suck at drafting offensive defensemen ... yes he does

Enoch 02-12-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 12473194)
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.

I think saying he is buried is an enormous stretch.

barrytrotzsneck 02-12-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 12475018)
I think saying he is buried is an enormous stretch.

I've seen him on a line with Goc and Rissmiller. That's pretty well buried.

Enoch 02-12-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 12475833)
I've seen him on a line with Goc and Rissmiller. That's pretty well buried.

This is because of his play on the ice, not because of the talent ahead of him.

Joe T Choker 02-12-2008 02:47 PM

Got a question ... are we in it to win it, or are we just spinning our ****in' wheels ... I'm sick and ****in' tired of the status quo ... you know, getting our ***** handed to us in the playoffs

a) we haven't seen Klein in a long ****in' time and IF he's going to be here a long time (according to our glorious leader) then we NEED to make room for him ... Preferably for a top 6 winger

b) Name me a forward who is on the trade block from the EC that is worth a damn ... forget Tampa, they're "making a run for the division"

barrytrotzsneck 02-12-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 12476669)
This is because of his play on the ice, not because of the talent ahead of him.

how can you be sure? how many times have we seen our own forwards misused\given the icetime shaft by Trotz? It happens everywhere.

Basher 02-12-2008 03:44 PM

trotz misuses forwards in an egregious manner...i want to say he is the benchmark for that category.

Enoch 02-12-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 12477187)
how can you be sure? how many times have we seen our own forwards misused\given the icetime shaft by Trotz? It happens everywhere.

The Sharks have no scoring this year. Anyone that is producing at all is going to get the ice-time he deserves. Heck, Wilson finally just gave cheechoo back the first line spot in the past few weeks because NO ONE was earning the spot.

If he can't produce playing with Thorton (which he did) or Marleau (which he does), he isn't going to produce here.

vipera1960 02-12-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Trotz (Post 12477130)
Got a question ... are we in it to win it, or are we just spinning our ****in' wheels ... I'm sick and ****in' tired of the status quo ... you know, getting our ***** handed to us in the playoffs

a) we haven't seen Klein in a long ****in' time and IF he's going to be here a long time (according to our glorious leader) then we NEED to make room for him ... Preferably for a top 6 winger

b) Name me a forward who is on the trade block from the EC that is worth a damn ... forget Tampa, they're "making a run for the division"

Jeff Carter

triggrman 02-12-2008 05:03 PM

So many times we only look at the forwards when we talk of scoring. Scoring starts from the back end though, if SJ's defensemen aren't getting the pucks out to the forwards they'll have a tough time scoring.

Look at us, our defense puts our forwards in great position to score more, we dont' have top forwards talent wise but yet we put up good scoring numbers.

SmokeyClause 02-12-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 12473194)
Bernier is buried beneath some pretty high-profile players in SJ and is having a bad year because of it. He's also reportedly been in Wilson's doghouse. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't produce on a line with Legwand and Erat...and in fact, is the perfect physical complement to those players.


If he can't stay out of Wilson's doghouse, how can he avoid Trotz'? Is he exactly the type of player that Trotz would kill in both the media and in the lineup?

Enoch 02-12-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 12479144)
So many times we only look at the forwards when we talk of scoring. Scoring starts from the back end though, if SJ's defensemen aren't getting the pucks out to the forwards they'll have a tough time scoring.

Look at us, our defense puts our forwards in great position to score more, we dont' have top forwards talent wise but yet we put up good scoring numbers.

True, but San Jose has several offensively gifted defenseman. Additionally, their scoring forwards are HIGHLY talented.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.