HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   We need to have Robinson's number retired (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47799)

Mike The Wall 01-29-2004 12:43 PM

We need to have Robinson's number retired

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...5-A0DC85BC222A

We have to find a way to get Robinson's number retired read the article

Darz 01-29-2004 01:11 PM

I've been saying it for years and years now. The habs must retire 19!!!!!!

I can't stand watching players less deserving getting their numbers retired with other teams while Robinson's isn't in the rafters!!!!

mcphee 01-29-2004 01:36 PM

Mike, I'm glad you brought this up. Team 990 has had a lot to say about this for the last week and it's gathering some momentum. I don't understand the delay. Whatever conflict therewas between Serge Savard,Robinson and his agent Donnie Cape, happened long ago. Savard and Corey are no longer in the organization, no matter what the conflict, Robinson has never been disrepectful to the organization.There is no excuse, the proudest franchise in the history of the sport is making itself look petty by not honoring the second best D-man in their history.Very few have worn the sweater with as much pride as Larry has, and those that have have been honored. It's time for the adults to act like adults and do the right thing.

Gros Bill 01-29-2004 01:38 PM

I was reading recently that the Bruins have retired the numbers of 10 players, while the Canadiens have retired only 7. Go figure. OTOH, it's important to maintain really high standards and retire the numbers of only the "truely" great. I think Robinson fits in that category. Only # 10 has been retired from the powerhouse team of the 70's. Would it be watering down the accomplishments of the other greats to retire a full line-up of that 70's team ? Something like 29 (G), 19 (LD), 18 (RD), 23 (LW), 10 (RW, already retired) and ?? (C). A bit much, I think, but worth thinking about.

At the very least, they should retire #19 and 23.

BLONG7 01-29-2004 02:11 PM

I think the Habs will retire #19 before they retire any other #... When, who knows? Larry Robinson would be very deserving of this honour! :yo:

Mike The Wall 01-29-2004 03:15 PM

This morning I emailed Koivu because I was unable to find George Gillete email and have Koivu send the article to George and see what they do I believe we should do something en mass we do have power as a group. Before the dad passes away he has the right to see his sons number retired

Hydroponic Harold 01-29-2004 05:17 PM

Its a bias against Anglos ..Robinson , Moore ,Gainey and Dryden , all Anglo players .I hope ime wrong .

Natural Habs Fan 01-29-2004 05:53 PM

I donít see a problem with retiring all those #ís. Itís not like Montreal will be producing any hall of famers in the foreseeable future.

mcphee 01-29-2004 05:56 PM

12 was shared by Cournoyer and Moore, both great players. Robinson embraced Montreal's culture, as did the city embrace Robinson. Language wasn't an issue.
Gainey and Dryden and Serge Savard are arguable imo, Robinson is a slam dunk.

GhostOfTheForum 01-29-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
Its a bias against Anglos ..Robinson , Moore ,Gainey and Dryden , all Anglo players .I hope ime wrong .

good grief, I hope you are not serious. We don't need chit like this on this board where posters from different countries, races, etc post. they will think all Canada is like you

who do you think is not putting up Big Bird's number cause he is English? The organization? Let's see.....George Gillette? Bob Gainey? The Montreal Mafia?

no, wait.it's those pesky Montreal Maroons that are waiting in the wings to join the WHA and they want all english guys so they're causing the english/french feud

I would like to know how many players the Habs have had since they started and how many deserving players whose numbers would have been retired in any other team and just how many numbers there would be left over for todays Habs to wear

we'd have Balej wearing number 4983

Montreal is a class act and Robinson has/will be honoured and well remembered by all the Montreal organization and its fans

tinyzombies 01-29-2004 07:02 PM

I think it's more complicated than just retiring his number. They have to pay him money for the right to use his name or something. I remember reading about it. The NHLPA might have their grubby hands in on it somehow.

Darz 01-29-2004 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I think it's more complicated than just retiring his number. They have to pay him money for the right to use his name or something. I remember reading about it. The NHLPA might have their grubby hands in on it somehow.

It can't be much if any money or else Sinden's Bruins wouldn't be retiring #'s left, right and centre.

tinyzombies 01-29-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
It can't be much if any money or else Sinden's Bruins wouldn't be retiring #'s left, right and centre.

Yeah, but they have to attract fans too, we don't.