HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Handedness in Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=478745)

benefactor* 02-15-2008 12:54 PM

Handedness in Hockey

What is the reason for there being so many left handed shots in hockey? I mean, they're not that way naturally because usually if you ever see these guys signing autographs or doing other things they are usually right handed. My question is basically why so many children are taught to play the game left handed when in reality, most children would be more likely to play right handed naturally? Why is there so much left handed "bias"?

Karl with a C 02-15-2008 01:00 PM

It's because most people (8 out of 9 I believe) are right handed. However, the precision hand work required by hockey leads most coaches to believe that there cannot exist a structure for movement already, and that they must learn from nothing. All righthanded kids have swung a hockey stick in *their own way*, perhaps gripping it wrong or something similar, and these movements develop muscle memory until someone starts teaching them to do it properly.

However, what a lot of coaches prefer to do is to teach the kids to play with their opposite handedness, allowing them to learn from nothing. Since the kids would never naturally try to learn how to play left handed, everything they learn will be new, and they will be better able to master the delicate techniques required for letting a monster shot go, or handling the puck like Datsyuk (after a few mins of practice, of course)

frito 02-15-2008 01:12 PM

The idea of a right handed player being left handed shot is based on the power hand being at the top of the stick. Most of the stickhandling work is actually done with the top hand. The lower hand helps but is often there for the ride. having the dominent hand on top allows for better stickhandling. A rule of thumb I have heard is that whichever hand you typically have on top to rake leaves, mop or sweep the floow is the hand you should have on top for hockey.

As far as the kids learning which hand to have on top - I strongly encourage all young players to start with a straight blade. The parents and coach shouldn't steer the child in either direction. Let the child determine what feels best for them and then mve on. After a few years of experience go ahead and get them a cruved stick.

Both of my daughters are right handed and both shoot left. They both had at least three years of learn to play/playing experience before I boght them their first curved sticks.

Hank19* 02-15-2008 01:44 PM

About 90% of NHL Europeans are left-handed.
That's certainly helped make the NHL 70% left-handed shots.

Heat McManus 02-15-2008 02:33 PM

I think it has to do with what sport you played first. Most kids I grew up with played baseball first and batted righty. When they started playing hockey it he transition was simplly moving their hands apart.

In Canada and Europe there is not nearly as many baseball players so hockey is the first sport. Therefore they instruct kids the "right" way, to use their dominant hand on the top. For most people that would be their right hand, meaning they are lefty shots.

Pittsburgh Proud 02-15-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer7 (Post 12529419)
What is the reason for there being so many left handed shots in hockey? I mean, they're not that way naturally because usually if you ever see these guys signing autographs or doing other things they are usually right handed. My question is basically why so many children are taught to play the game left handed when in reality, most children would be more likely to play right handed naturally? Why is there so much left handed "bias"?

im righty but i started holding the stick lefty and liked it that way. My brother is lefty and plays righty.

Harv 02-15-2008 02:39 PM

I'm right handed. I shoot naturally right handed with a player stick. With a goal stick, I shoot left handed.

My strong hand feels way better on top with a goal stick, but not with a player stick. But I can almost shoot equally left and right handed with a player stick.

Confused yet? :D

Gunnar Stahl 30 02-15-2008 02:43 PM

you canucks might be able to answre this but i heard that i learn to have your right hand on top of the stick, thats why rightie goalies are leftie shooting skaters, hence why martin brodeur, marty turco and others have such a good shot

WhipNash27 02-15-2008 03:14 PM

I'm righty and shoot righty.

From what I know,
Right Hand Dominant
right hand on top = better for puck control
right hand on bottom = harder shots

puck_08 02-15-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperArchetype (Post 12529531)
It's because most people (8 out of 9 I believe) are right handed. However, the precision hand work required by hockey leads most coaches to believe that there cannot exist a structure for movement already, and that they must learn from nothing. All righthanded kids have swung a hockey stick in *their own way*, perhaps gripping it wrong or something similar, and these movements develop muscle memory until someone starts teaching them to do it properly.

However, what a lot of coaches prefer to do is to teach the kids to play with their opposite handedness, allowing them to learn from nothing. Since the kids would never naturally try to learn how to play left handed, everything they learn will be new, and they will be better able to master the delicate techniques required for letting a monster shot go, or handling the puck like Datsyuk (after a few mins of practice, of course)

what?

Paranoid Android 02-16-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 12531772)

From what I know,
Right Hand Dominant

this is what I always heard. top hand is for puck control, bottom hand is for power. it probably takes more time for a righty to learn hockey right handed because they have to build up coordination in their left hand (for stick handling). a righty playing hockey left handed is the "correct" way (there is no right or wrong, really)

slackerracker 02-16-2008 02:15 PM

i'm a righty that uses a righty stick, it's just how i played from the very beginning and i have no issues stick handling or shooting it just depends on how you learn, there really isn't a huge difference in which one you use.

mattihp 02-16-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 12531221)
I'm right handed. I shoot naturally right handed with a player stick. With a goal stick, I shoot left handed.

My strong hand feels way better on top with a goal stick, but not with a player stick. But I can almost shoot equally left and right handed with a player stick.

Confused yet? :D

Same for me.

runningwifpenguins66* 02-17-2008 09:46 PM

IM a left handed writer, and a right handed shooter, but i think this is particially because im ambidextrious. so i dont really count, GO RIGHT HANDED SHOOTERS!

vwg* 02-17-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 12531772)

From what I know,
Right Hand Dominant

All of which don't matter because using the wrong handed stick, you'll be much worse at both of those things.

mattihp 02-17-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caner Soze (Post 12570439)
All of which don't matter because using the wrong handed stick, you'll be much worse at both of those things.

Not true. The hand on top of the stick will be the hand that control the motoric movement, and the bottom hand will control the strength. Of course it'll make a difference, since right handed people have a stronger and motorically more developed right hand than left hand.

Karl with a C 02-17-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck_08 (Post 12531845)
what?

I can't explain it any better to you if you can't comprehend it. Try reading it slower and maybe take notes.

Danrik 02-18-2008 10:28 AM

I'm righty and I shoot right.
One Brother is righty and shoots left.
Other Brother is lefty but shoots right.

WTF?

mattihp 02-18-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danrik (Post 12574220)
I'm righty and I shoot right.
One Brother is righty and shoots left.
Other Brother is lefty but shoots right.

WTF?

Normally it should be more natural for right handed to shoot left, and left handed to shoot right. Thus more strength on the shot.

Gino 14 02-18-2008 11:20 AM

I hold a stick the same way I shovel horse crap (we have horses), right hand up and left hand shot, and I'm right handed.

It Kills Me 02-18-2008 11:38 AM

Everyone works on their stick handling as a kid, opposite hand = more control.

That's how I see it.

Injektilo 02-18-2008 11:51 AM

70% of sticks sold in the US shoot right
70% of sticks sold in canada shoot left.

(bruce dowbiggen, The Stick)

explain that one.

UvBnDatsyuked 02-18-2008 12:31 PM

In Europe and in Canada for the most part the dominate hand is on top. In Russia a lot of straight blades are used for youth and the youth decides what he/she likes best.

There are more benefits IMO to have dominate hand on top.

Walk into most pro shops in the US and tell them you are new to hockey and want to buy a stick, I bet 9 out of 10 will ask what handed you are and give you a stick for dominate hand on bottom

Do same thing in Sweden and they will give you a stick so dominate hand is on bottom.

Sensfanman 02-18-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck_08 (Post 12531845)
what?

He's saying that when you just pick up and go, you can pick up poor technique and form which can impede long term potential. Learning from scratch with the opposite handedness with a good coach and lots of practice will let you do it properly with greater results.

I think?

mattihp 02-18-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MURedHawk (Post 12575959)

Do same thing in Sweden and they will give you a stick so dominate hand is on bottom.

I'd say they'd give you a stick where the dominate hand is on top.