HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposals: Hasek to Ottawa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47938)

V for Voodoo 01-29-2004 10:03 PM

Proposals: Hasek to Ottawa

Last night, i suggested in jest that Muckler should look into acquiring Hasek, looks like i was on to something. This afternoon, An Ottawa sports talk personality, on the Team1200, spoke of 'rumours' circulating that Muckler made a call to Kenny Holland.

As you all know, there is a connection between Muckler and Hasek. If i'm not mistaken, Muckler is the GM who pulled off the brilliant trade to acquire him from the blackhawks, and they spent quite a few years together in the Sabres organization. This just adds fuel to the fire. Detroit seems to be quite content with CuJo, nobody really knows who will be the #1 throughout the season. Dealing Hasek may make sense for Detroit, although i'm sure there's a possibility they will hold him.

So:
What would it take for Muckler to acquire Hasek?
Do you think it would be a good move, or a bad one?
Let the proposals fly.

kasper11 01-29-2004 10:08 PM

I think it would be extremely dangerous for Ottawa to bring in another goalie this late in the season, especially one who can be as volatile in the locker room as Hasek. Team chemistry is an extremely fragile thing, and can make just as much of a difference as a goaltender.
Besides, I don't know if Hasek is an upgrade at this point. He has had injury problems all year and may not have had enough time to shake off the rust before the playoffs start.

Habsolution 01-29-2004 10:27 PM

And Hasek has a no trade clause...

X8oD 01-29-2004 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11
I think it would be extremely dangerous for Ottawa to bring in another goalie this late in the season, especially one who can be as volatile in the locker room as Hasek. Team chemistry is an extremely fragile thing, and can make just as much of a difference as a goaltender.
Besides, I don't know if Hasek is an upgrade at this point. He has had injury problems all year and may not have had enough time to shake off the rust before the playoffs start.

all the negatives about Hasek listed above.......

Id still take him over lalime at this date, for the play-offs.

Chelios 01-29-2004 10:28 PM

Hasek not an improvement on Lalime?? Did you see Lalime against the Stars last nite?

I think the sens should go for it, goaltending is there only weakness.

Habsolution 01-29-2004 10:30 PM

They should try to get a Kolzig+Bondra package.

guinness 01-29-2004 10:31 PM

You can have him, he'll probably get hurt again anyhow, but I doubt he'd waive his NTC and doubt even less Ottawa would take his salary.

Jason MacIsaac 01-29-2004 10:32 PM

Let Emery have a try in Ottawa, I don't like when organizations don't give their young guys a chance like NJ did for Brodeur.

V for Voodoo 01-29-2004 10:34 PM

There is a significant difference between giving young players a chance, and inserting a young goalie into your lineup mid-season. If anything, Prusek deserves an honest opportunity before Emery.

V for Voodoo 01-29-2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolution
They should try to get a Kolzig+Bondra package.

Kolzig has 2 years left at $6.5Mil, and although I think he is a good goaltender, that is reason enough to stay away.

Jason MacIsaac 01-29-2004 10:43 PM

Prusek looks ugly in nets though, he has a cheap helmet, his style is ugly....Its really hard for fans to feel comfortable with a goalie like that in the nets. :)

I didn't say throw him in the lineup as the starter and go to guy, try him out for 3 or 4 games and see how he does.

Boomhower 01-29-2004 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Prusek looks ugly in nets though, he has a cheap helmet, his style is ugly....Its really hard for fans to feel comfortable with a goalie like that in the nets. :)

:lol: Isn't that exactly what they said about Hasek, before he became a star?

Blackjack 01-29-2004 10:52 PM

Yeah, and for every Dominik Hasek out there that has bad tecnique and is a great goalie, there are 99 Roman Checkmaneks that will give up ugly goals at the worst possible time.

Peter Griffin 01-29-2004 10:54 PM

I could see the Wings asking for Radek Bonk in return. The Wings won't let Hasek go for cheap, especially to a team they could potentially meet in the finals. If Hasek is dealt, the Wings will likely want immediate help, not picks/prospects.

ginnungagap 01-29-2004 11:01 PM

I'd be curious to know what Hasek's perceived value is.

So what kind of package can you see him bringing back if he were to be traded? I don't think Detroit would risk dealing him with the chance they might have to face him in the playoffs unless the price was something worthwhile. I also think that if he is healthy at the deadline there would be interest- just like if Patrick Roy could come back contenders with questions in goal would be willing to take a chance on one of the all time greats in goal.

Peter Griffin 01-29-2004 11:07 PM

I also see Philly being interested in Hasek if he was made available.

Boomhower 01-29-2004 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinness
You can have him, he'll probably get hurt again anyhow, but I doubt he'd waive his NTC and doubt even less Ottawa would take his salary.

$$$ - Hasek's remaining salary is about $2.2M, with no commitments after this season.
NTC - Muckler could be the guy to talk him into accepting a deal, they've done business in the past.

As a Detroit fan I also wouldn't mind seing Dom traded....... as long as it's to an eastern confrence team.

thinkwild 01-29-2004 11:41 PM

Im interested in seeing what his value is too. No way could it be Bonk. Especially seeing as what a gamble Hasek is to return to form. Im thinking more Schastlivy and a pick. Detroit waived cujo and no one wanted his contract. Detroit should be happy if someone were to take his contract and not saddle them with another. Definitely something less than Kozlov.

Will they give hasek some showcase games like they did for Cujo at the start of the year? Does it seem they will be going with Cujo now even if Hasek does return?

I cant imagine money is an issue for the Sens. Melnyk has commited to do what it takes. Sens will likely make him $30-40 mil ebit this year.

I dont care about locker room issues with Hasek. He's a goalie. Who cares if he's a headcase. If he can return to form, he would be the smart gamblers choice. Sens can afford to pay for the gamble.

ginnungagap 01-30-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkwild
Im interested in seeing what his value is too. No way could it be Bonk. Especially seeing as what a gamble Hasek is to return to form. Im thinking more Schastlivy and a pick.

It seems to me that Schastlivy's value is as low as it can go- unless the pick is a first rounder there's no way that would be worth Detroit's risk of facing a motivated Hasek in a Stanley Cup Final. Hasek's salary will be almost completely paid with no obligations going into a new CBA, if Detroit's going to bother trading him at all the return would have to be pretty good. I can't see the price being as high as Bonk either, I don't think Ottawa could afford to lose him without getting a replacement, but either through a three way deal or straight up Detroit would have to get some good talent- and by their track record it would probably have to be players for the present rather than the future.

A Good Flying Bird* 01-30-2004 12:50 AM

IMO, I'd trade Hasek for picks/prospects. Or Cujo.

Buffaloed 01-30-2004 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
As you all know, there is a connection between Muckler and Hasek. If i'm not mistaken, Muckler is the GM who pulled off the brilliant trade to acquire him from the blackhawks, and they spent quite a few years together in the Sabres organization.

It was Gerry Meehan who made the deal, but Hasek and Muckler hold each other in high regard. It's similar to the Matt Barnaby-Ted Nolan relationship. If Hasek can be persuaded to play anywhere other than Detroit it would be with Muckler in Ottawa.

dats-13 01-30-2004 01:59 AM

i said it once, i'll say it a million times again

Hasek did not come back to Detroit to be traded or even involved in trade rumors, he came back because he wants to lead Detroit back to the promise land. Ottawa fans don't even get semi-excited about this, if it happens I'll change my avatar to a pick of Rosie O' Donnel. That's how positive I am about this ever happening. Hasek will refuse to leave Detroit, he's not nearly as classy as Cujo and the last thing management needs is a P.O.ed Hasek....

sensfan18 01-30-2004 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats-13

Hasek did not come back to Detroit to be traded or even involved in trade rumors, he came back because he wants to lead Detroit back to the promise land. Ottawa fans don't even get semi-excited about this, if it happens I'll change my avatar to a pick of Rosie O' Donnel. That's how positive I am about this ever happening. Hasek will refuse to leave Detroit, he's not nearly as classy as Cujo and the last thing management needs is a P.O.ed Hasek....

Really? Even if he is relegated to back-up behind Cujo, I find that hard to beleive. Dom will want to play and if Holland wants to move him all they will have to do is let him sit on the bench/pressbox for a while. Either way we'll take the one you want to unload, whether it be Cujo or Dom.

ginnungagap 01-30-2004 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensfan18
Really? Even if he is relegated to back-up behind Cujo, I find that hard to beleive. Dom will want to play and if Holland wants to move him all they will have to do is let him sit on the bench/pressbox for a while.

I agree, I don't think Hasek ever imagined this scenario but if Joseph keeps winning games and the rumors of the team preferring him over Hasek are true...

Hasek will want to play for a Stanley Cup, not watch from the bench. That might make his no-trade clause moot as long as its to a strong contender like Ottawa or Philly.

Jason MacIsaac 01-30-2004 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats-13

Cujo didn't sign with detroit to be placed in the AHL or be trade bait all year while being the third stringer....**** happens!