HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Devo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=48083)

ihatenewjersey 01-30-2004 12:49 PM

Devo

hows he doin, anyone been keepin an eye on him, last i saw he had 10 goals, not bad

Edge 01-30-2004 04:28 PM

he's on pace for his usual.

17 some odd goals, 40-50 points.

that's about what i expect at this point.

his 30 goal season was a career year.

Kluivert4Ever 01-30-2004 04:58 PM

You know we basicly traded Keane and Skrudland for Jagr?;)

Edge 01-30-2004 05:23 PM

i always find that funny, tracing trades back like that.

Bluenote13 01-30-2004 05:31 PM

Oh, btw, Derek Armstrong scored the game tying goal against Colorado last night.

Yep, hockey sure is different here.

Edge 01-30-2004 05:35 PM

Derek Armstrong has also bounced to what? 5 or 6 nhl teams now?

i dont get upset of the armstrong's of the world. he is no different than rheaume or a ton of other borderline centers. he just found a niche in anaheim.

same could be said for simon and barnaby's play this season.

it happens.

i get more upset over malhotra and lundmark and wiseman and others.

Bluenote13 01-30-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge

i dont get upset of the armstrong's of the world. he is no different than rheaume or a ton of other borderline centers. he just found a niche in anaheim.

it happens.

Yeah, but Edge, you have to say to yourself 'why does every Ranger reject seem to play better once they're traded from this team?'......

I know it's the coaching, without a doubt. We havn't had a good coach since Keenan.

Zinkbot 01-30-2004 07:38 PM

[i get more upset over malhotra.[/QUOTE]

I watched the Columbus/Nashville game last night and Manny was all over the ice. He had three assists and was named the third star of the game.

Edge 01-30-2004 07:42 PM

To some extent but Derek Armstrong isnt the case.

The guy is a 31 year old journeyman forward. He falls into the same category as Ted Donato, Tim Sweeney and a thousand other guys in the league.

Chicago could say the same thing about Simon "why is he playing closer to his old self and being an enforcer" or Tampa about Barnaby.

Why wasnt he used? Because there was Tim Taylor, than Rem Murray, than Rheaume and next year there will be another. those players arent that uncommon to find.

sometimes it happens, not EVERY situation is gonna work out. That to me is a nonissue compared to the actual developing of young talent like malhotra and lundmark and dube, etc. etc. etc.

If Armstrong were here, people would be complaining about why he is playing instead of lundmark or wiseman, so its a nonpoint.

And there are plenty of players who sucked after leaving here as well. Karpa, Ulanov, McCarthy, Kamensky, etc.

Losing is the only this organization does as a whole. From the owners to the scouts, this team amazes me sometimes.

rabi_sultan 01-30-2004 08:35 PM

about Ulanov, when the Oilers were about to sign him we went and queried the Panthers board and the general concensus was that Ulanov wasn't bad just too expensive and so that was the major reason for dropping him in the minors :dunno:

take it any which way you want but he's doing great so far. As for Dvorak's 30 goals when you watch him play you get the sense he could do it, if he had a more accurate shot.

pld459666 01-30-2004 08:36 PM

yeah, but

Quote:

it happens.

Malhotra isn't going to be much better than Armstong

Kodiak 01-30-2004 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
about Ulanov, when the Oilers were about to sign him we went and queried the Panthers board and the general concensus was that Ulanov wasn't bad just too expensive and so that was the major reason for dropping him in the minors :dunno:

That doesn't make much sense, as Ulanov did not sign a 2-way contract to my knowledge. He would have made the same amount whether he was playing in the NHL or the AHL. The only reason to send him down was if the Panthers believed they had 7 d-men that were better than Ulanov. Often, you'll see teams keep a player with a big salary with the big club just because it'd be a waste to pay someone so much money to play in the minors.

Laches 01-30-2004 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666

---Not sure what would make you say that. Malhotra is 7 years younger than Armstrong and already has more of an NHL career. Since joining the Jackets and being put in a chance to succeed for the first time in his career, he has 14 points in 32 games while providing energy and physical play. Not what you'd call a franchise player, but it seems to me he's more than a Derek Armstrong.

Bluenote13 01-30-2004 09:32 PM

Quote:

And there are plenty of players who sucked after leaving here as well. Karpa, Ulanov, McCarthy, Kamensky, etc.

Those guys were all on the downsides of their careers, careers that ended with us trying to suck the last bit of life out of their bodies. Thats a Ranger tradition ;)

Edge 01-31-2004 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

take it any which way you want but he's doing great so far. As for Dvorak's 30 goals when you watch him play you get the sense he could do it, if he had a more accurate shot.

wait a sec. He was too expensive so that they put him in the minors? is it me or does that not make sense.

Edge 01-31-2004 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666

Considering were Armstrong was at the age of 23 and where Malhotra is, i think there is a big difference.

Malhotra is clicking and making it with a young team and is showing a lot.

Malhotra should is starting to look like that 15 goal, 30 point two way center he should be.

Armstrong didn't become a regular till he was 30 and lacks the size, skating and leadership that malhotra has.

Not that manny is gonna be an allstar but comparing them is a bit extreme.

Edge 01-31-2004 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Those guys were all on the downsides of their careers, careers that ended with us trying to suck the last bit of life out of their bodies. Thats a Ranger tradition ;)

No denying that, but i think Armstrong is an extreme case. The islander, senators and a few other teams passed on him. At 31 i dont think he's gonna be a regular for the next 10 years either. He's a feel good story who will stick around for 3 or 4 years and then disappear again.

rabi_sultan 01-31-2004 01:25 AM

no i know it doesn't make any sense thats why i said take it any which way you want. i have a bit of optimism that Dvorak could score 30 goals again in this league since he's about 4% off his shooting % average.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=48206

Nevertheless during his tenure with the Rangers, and specifically earlier in his Rangers career, how much powerplay play time did he get and how effective was he on the powerplay?

Edge 01-31-2004 06:54 AM

he got quite a bit with nedved and hlvac.

But the problem is that he's never been a natural scorer. His speed, his agility and his skills always raise the expectations but he never has been and likely never will be a NATURAL scorer. If his hands were at the same level as the rest of his skills he'd be a 40 goal allstar. But they aren't and so my guess is 20-25 goals and 60 points is about his range if all goes right for him. Otherwise 15-20 goals and 45-55 points is about right.

klingsor 01-31-2004 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinkbot
[i get more upset over malhotra.

I watched the Columbus/Nashville game last night and Manny was all over the ice. He had three assists and was named the third star of the game.[/QUOTE]

Fun game to watch.

That "flash in the pan" Zidlicky had three assists, too.