HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bob Boughner's trade value (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=48158)

Darth Milbury 01-30-2004 06:08 PM

Bob Boughner's trade value

I'm just asking out of curiosity. He is an impending UFA, of course. However, the trend in the NHL over the last few years has been for the value of dmen to be inflated after the 40 game mark or so. And, as we get closer to the playoffs, it seems to inflate even more. I think, in Bougher's case, the $ issues work in his favor (because he is an impending UFA) and his gritty game is well-suited for a grinding playoffs series. But, then again, he does have his limits as a player and Calgary didn't get all that much for him in the off season.

What do you all think?

Peter Griffin 01-30-2004 06:15 PM

I see him getting something similar to what Bryan Marchment got the Sharks last deadline, two mid-round picks. Then again, there may be a team that feels like overpaying.

NFITO 01-30-2004 06:18 PM

think his value could be anywhere from a low 3rd to a 6th rounder, depending on the market for UFA available dmen at the time.

Vagrant 01-30-2004 06:20 PM

The reason the Flames didn't get that much for him is because the team who aquired him was on the hook for his entire salary for the year instead of just the remaining portion that would be left this season. Boughner is a heavy hitting and playoff style defenseman with the heart of a lion. I'd say the 'Canes could get what they got for Glen Wesley last season at the deadline in a 2nd round pick from a team that is going to advance to the playoffs. I don't think it's overpayment either considering what Boughner brings to the table.

Vincent Vega 01-30-2004 06:22 PM

TO TOR: Bob Boughner
TO CAR: Ric Jackman, 3rd

I dont know to much about Bob Boughner so I'm not sure if that is a fair trade or not.

Peter Griffin 01-30-2004 06:24 PM

From a Canucks' POV, I would definitely trade a 3rd round pick for the "Boogey Man". Not sure what side Boughner plays though? I assume left D...

Darth Milbury 01-30-2004 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniacforever
The reason the Flames didn't get that much for him is because the team who aquired him was on the hook for his entire salary for the year instead of just the remaining portion that would be left this season. Boughner is a heavy hitting and playoff style defenseman with the heart of a lion. I'd say the 'Canes could get what they got for Glen Wesley last season at the deadline in a 2nd round pick from a team that is going to advance to the playoffs. I don't think it's overpayment either considering what Boughner brings to the table.

That is a perfectly reasonable argument. I'm not sure I completely agree and suspect he might return a bit less than that. But, I can't fault your logic with regard to the $. So, it may well be the case that the Canes get that much, particularly with so many teams in the hunt for dmen right now.

NFITO 01-30-2004 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
From a Canucks' POV, I would definitely trade a 3rd round pick for the "Boogey Man". Not sure what side Boughner plays though? I assume left D...

haven't watched him in Carolina... but he played the right side in Calgary.

I dont' know if i'd give up a 3rd for him... essentially he'd be a #6/7 on our team, and giving up a 3rd for that might be too much.

Peter Griffin 01-30-2004 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I dont' know if i'd give up a 3rd for him... essentially he'd be a #6/7 on our team, and giving up a 3rd for that might be too much.

I just really like what Boughner brings to the table. A more likely scenario is the Canucks making a deal with Anaheim for Todd Simpson. He could likely be had for a 4th round pick and would provide toughness, grit, size, good defense, and would be a solid depth fit.

Drake1588 01-30-2004 06:44 PM

I don't know if he's necessarily worth a third, but heck... how many of the 16 teams slotted to make the post-season, not to mention those in contention on the outside looking in on deadline day, couldn't use an extra hard-nosed vet on a third pairing or as depth? I think the competition will likely drive someone to proffer a third in the end. It's a good time to be offering defense, as always.

looooob 01-30-2004 06:47 PM

I like Boughner ALOT
I understand the argument that Carolina MIGHT have underpaid for him b/c they had to pay his salary for most of the year, and that his value may actually bump up at the deadline....but I still doubt he's worth a 2nd rounder. Flames Draft Watcher made some good arguments regarding that this summer when some Flames fans were disappointed by the return.

I think he's worth a 3rd - 6th rounder (big range I know!), but any team that gets him down the stretch won't be disappointed

Vagrant 01-30-2004 06:53 PM

Well, i'll just ask how many people honestly thought last season that Glen Wesley was going to draw a 2nd Round pick if he was to be traded at the deadline?

I certainly didn't. :p

But it also taught me a lesson that if you have a good mistake free defeseman, even one that doesn't play the body like Boughner does in Wesley, you're going to get a more than fair return from a team around the deadline. In my humble opinion, Boughner brings more to the table this year than Wesley did last year and Wesley was offered up and taken at the price of a 2nd Rounder. Leave the rest to your own deduction.

Darth Milbury 01-30-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
I like Boughner ALOT
I understand the argument that Carolina MIGHT have underpaid for him b/c they had to pay his salary for most of the year, and that his value may actually bump up at the deadline....but I still doubt he's worth a 2nd rounder. Flames Draft Watcher made some good arguments regarding that this summer when some Flames fans were disappointed by the return.

I think he's worth a 3rd - 6th rounder (big range I know!), but any team that gets him down the stretch won't be disappointed

I still say Calgary came out the big winner in that exchange. They wanted Bougher to be a steady influence on some of their young dmen. He came in for a year or two, played a leadership role, and helped Calgary develop one of the best young defense corps in the game. Then, when he was no longer need and the $ were no longer justifiable, the moved him for picks. And, he was a UFA signing to start, so he didn't cost them any player assets. It was a win-win situation all around.

Darth Milbury 01-30-2004 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
I don't know if he's necessarily worth a third, but heck... how many of the 16 teams slotted to make the post-season, not to mention those in contention on the outside looking in on deadline day, couldn't use an extra hard-nosed vet on a third pairing or as depth? I think the competition will likely drive someone to proffer a third in the end. It's a good time to be offering defense, as always.

Yup. Good logic. And, one might argue tha thte fact he is an UFA, makes him even more valuable (because guys who are no under contract when the CBA negotiations begin are solid gold for contending teams).

nikolai19 01-30-2004 07:16 PM

Boughner is someone that I would love to see in LA because they so desperately need help on the blueline. When Miller returns (end of Feb. most likely), and if LA is still in the hunt for a spot, I could see Taylor go after him.

I also realize that a lot of teams need defense right now, so the price could be higher even for a guy like Boughner.

Disgraced Cosmonaut 01-30-2004 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19

I also realize that a lot of teams need defense right now, so the price could be higher even for a guy like Boughner.

Bingo. Think of all the d-men injured or not playing completely healthy on contending teams and you will see that he returns no less than a 3rd rounder. I frankly think that if he's the first d-man moved, he may even get a second rounder, as someone above mentioned. Granted, a Toronto (for instance) 2nd rounder is basically a high 3rd, but it's not like anyone in contention is going to be giving up the best pick in any round. I would love to see my Isles nab him for a third rounder. It would ease the loss of a guy like Hammer somewhat (but not really), should they deal the latter.

After the first d-man is traded, and the d-man market tightens for both seller and buyer, you'll see the values go out of whack as teams try either to unload or pick up desperately.

Badger Bob 01-30-2004 07:55 PM

Boughner has already attracted interest. His trade value is actually higher than over the summer for two reasons. The Flames were clearing salary, and crease-clearing defensemen are particularly valuable at this time of the year. He brings grit, determination, leadership, responsible play in his own zone, will fight practically anybody and is a stable presence in the locker room (Rhett Warraner said that all the guys liked him in Calgary). His playoff contributions in Pittsburgh, from a few years back, are also not forgotten.

On a side note, in one game between the Sabres & Canes, the Boogie Man squared off against Taylor Pyatt. Although he came out on the short end, it was obvious in Rick Rick Jeanerette's voice that he still likes Boughner after having been out of Buffalo for so long.

Flames Draft Watcher 01-30-2004 09:22 PM

Can't see anybody paying more than a 3rd rounder for him.