HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Sitting on Fitness balls for core strength? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=482069)

WhipNash27 02-22-2008 08:54 AM

Sitting on Fitness balls for core strength?

http://rangers.nhl.com/ext/Ramsay_Ji..._020107_300.rm
I was watching this video with Rangers trainer Jim Ramsay and in it he says that just sitting on a fitness ball all day can help your core strength. Anyone do this? I actually bought one yesterday ($10 at Walmart) and started doing it. I hardly notice that I'm sitting on the thing unless I lift one of my legs.

c4rdsh4rk 02-22-2008 09:49 AM

sounds like a good idea

triggrman 02-22-2008 12:33 PM

It's bad for you back, believe it or not. It forces you to sit straight up which is not good, you should be in as close to neutral position as possible.

I chair a board for an ergo committee for a large company, this has been brought up to us to review and the results were not good.

MikeD 02-22-2008 05:57 PM

This was also part of my Therapy/recovery from my last back injury. While seated on the ball you have to get "neutral spine". Its simply tilting your pelvis to bring the curve out of the lower back. Use care though. You dont want to roll your shoulders forward. Seated normally, if upright and NOT slouched, you tend to sit on the lower edge of the glutes and the back of your thigh. When you pelvic tilt you kind of roll back to the more middle of the butt.

It forces the interior and anterior spinal muscles to constantly adjust to your movements, in order to maintain balance. While the amount of added work seems very minimal, over the long term it will increase core spinal strength and increase your proprioception/balance. Always remember to NOT hold your breath. Easiest way to deal with your breathing is to EXHALE when you EXERT. Which ever protion of the movement seems hardest for you, exhale as you move through that range.

Even if you choose to NOT pelvic tilt there is significant benefit. You do NOT want to be leaning forward while doing curls and such. The added strain to the lower back is significant. Considering that 75% of your weight is in the torso and the added wirghts your lifting would be moved forward of your center of gravity....not good. Any free weight routine that you would do seated on a bench or chair will be more benefitial when peformed on a swiss ball.

It is important that the ball fit your size. Seated, you want the knees as close to 90 as possible. Be sure to select the correct size for you. They are sold in a wide range of diameters. Being a little above(taller) is OK. You do not want to use a ball that has you seated Too low and bringing the knees below 90 to the lower leg. be sure to search online for SWISS BALL WORK OUTS for even more that you can do with the thing. After a while of using it you can actually stand/squat on the ball during some routines. My youngest son (13) uses the largest, standing In stance(goalie) while executing save type movements with his arms.

triggrman 02-22-2008 07:31 PM

Mike sounds like you're using for exercise, he's just wanting to use to sit on, I was guessing at a computer desk, which is a bad idea.

MikeD 02-23-2008 12:32 PM

I would agree that using one to sit on for extended periods would be a bad idea. Back strain would be a concern as well as introducing some other occupational risks to the office workers day. I would bet productivity would decline as well. I must not have been paying close attention to the original post because I didnt realize it was about sitting on one all day.

WhipNash27 02-23-2008 10:44 PM

I can't sit on the thing for more than 30 minutes and then my back starts to hurt, so point taken. Although I can see how doing exercises as simple as curls could have an added function with the ball.

penguinsfanatic 02-25-2008 02:31 PM

actually it is quite good for your back because it forces all your core stabilizer muscles to kick in. 1 you have to make sure you by a proper size ball because to big or to small of one will be bad and 2 there is a proper way of doing everything so if you do it proper and learn what you are doing from somebody that knows what they are doing you shouldnt have any problems

budclay 02-25-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 12657270)
http://rangers.nhl.com/ext/Ramsay_Ji..._020107_300.rm
I was watching this video with Rangers trainer Jim Ramsay and in it he says that just sitting on a fitness ball all day can help your core strength. Anyone do this? I actually bought one yesterday ($10 at Walmart) and started doing it. I hardly notice that I'm sitting on the thing unless I lift one of my legs.

Apparently Briere is a big proponent of "sitting on (fitness) balls" to improve core strength. Can't argue with the results...

XX 02-25-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 12689885)
I can't sit on the thing for more than 30 minutes and then my back starts to hurt, so point taken. Although I can see how doing exercises as simple as curls could have an added function with the ball.

Don't confuse sharp spinal pain with simply muscle fatigue. If you aren't used to using your stabilizer muscles (as the poster above pointed out) they tire awfully fast and your back will hurt. Same phenomenon is noted when you go roller blading or ice skating for the first time in a long time.