HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Olaf Kolzig on his Status (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=48430)

Drake1588 01-31-2004 07:59 PM

Olaf Kolzig on his Status

There has been some confusion about Kolzig's status this year, whether he has a no-trade clause status, where he wants to play, and why, etc. Given the claims that are often put out there, I thought this was interesting. Darren Pang asked him directly recently, and this is what Kolzig told him:

"Prior to our ESPN2 game in Washington, Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig told me that he hasn't asked GM George McPhee to be traded, but if there is going to be a youth movement or a cleaning of the house, then he would want to be moved for a chance to win the Cup. Imagine how much better he would be playing if he had a world-class defense in front of him? McPhee told me that Kolzig is one of the best people he's met in sports, ever."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ren&id=1720150

So it looks like Kolzig would not be averse to a trade to a Cup contender if the Caps decide for a full-blown rebuild. Given a lot of fan confusion about his desires in the context of his son's medical condition and treatment in DC, this is the first I've seen where he has been this candid. My apologies in advance if this has been posted elsewhere on HF boards.

Marshall 01-31-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
There has been some confusion about Kolzig's status this year, whether he has a no-trade clause status, where he wants to play, and why, etc. Given the claims that are often put out there, I thought this was interesting. Darren Pang asked him directly recently, and this is what Kolzig told him:

"Prior to our ESPN2 game in Washington, Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig told me that he hasn't asked GM George McPhee to be traded, but if there is going to be a youth movement or a cleaning of the house, then he would want to be moved for a chance to win the Cup. Imagine how much better he would be playing if he had a world-class defense in front of him? McPhee told me that Kolzig is one of the best people he's met in sports, ever."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ren&id=1720150

So it looks like Kolzig would not be averse to a trade to a Cup contender if the Caps decide for a full-blown rebuild. Given a lot of fan confusion about his desires in the context of his son's medical condition and treatment in DC, this is the first I've seen where he has been this candid. My apologies in advance if this has been posted elsewhere on HF boards.

Good find. IMHO, Olie's not going to be in a Caps sweater by the end of the season.

txpd 01-31-2004 10:40 PM

I think Kolzig's future is very up in the air. You can see it in the comments. If the Caps trade lang and gonchar and bondra, he wants out. if the caps intend keep as many as they can and try put together a competitive team, he wants to stay.

Its my feeling that like Bondra he is willing to be helpful with his contract if Ted wants to win in the near term.

so...what do you do? you have these 4 guys that have apparantly told they owner they want to stay, if they will build a team around them and are willing to help with their contracts.

I know that some of you really want them all traded and to start from scratch.
the new cba could well put the players the capitals need to fill the roster correctly at the Caps ability to get with the right kind of salary capsmenship.

Street Hawk 02-01-2004 06:15 AM

Salary cap and the Jagr contract...

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
I think Kolzig's future is very up in the air. You can see it in the comments. If the Caps trade lang and gonchar and bondra, he wants out. if the caps intend keep as many as they can and try put together a competitive team, he wants to stay.

Its my feeling that like Bondra he is willing to be helpful with his contract if Ted wants to win in the near term.

so...what do you do? you have these 4 guys that have apparantly told they owner they want to stay, if they will build a team around them and are willing to help with their contracts.

I know that some of you really want them all traded and to start from scratch.
the new cba could well put the players the capitals need to fill the roster correctly at the Caps ability to get with the right kind of salary capsmenship.

An interesting question would be how the 5 million per season the Caps are picking up of the Jagr deal will be handled if there is a hard cap or luxury tax. Should be counted against the Capitals and so, their budget has to factor in that 5 million.

Caps also have to look at the lengths of the contracts of their 4 guys. Kolzig has 2 years after this season remaining. Lang has 3 years left. Bondra is a UFA and should be moved. Gonchar, I've heard is a RFA at season's end. And who knows, Gonch was taken in the 1992 draft, which makes him 30 sometime in 2004. He might even end up a UFA after the CBA is hammered out.

txpd 02-01-2004 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street Hawk
An interesting question would be how the 5 million per season the Caps are picking up of the Jagr deal will be handled if there is a hard cap or luxury tax. Should be counted against the Capitals and so, their budget has to factor in that 5 million.

Caps also have to look at the lengths of the contracts of their 4 guys. Kolzig has 2 years after this season remaining. Lang has 3 years left. Bondra is a UFA and should be moved. Gonchar, I've heard is a RFA at season's end. And who knows, Gonch was taken in the 1992 draft, which makes him 30 sometime in 2004. He might even end up a UFA after the CBA is hammered out.

Technically, the Capitals are not paying (the actual number is $4.5m) a chunk of Jagr's salary. They are paying the Rangers money as future considerations. As such the Caps have no salary cap responsibility with the jagr contract. that is why the Caps have apparantly pulled away from strongly marketing Lang, Gonchar, Bondra, and Kolzig.

If they trade any of those players, it will require a return that the team can not only build around right away(no prospects that are two or three years away from the nhl), but that the caps can make a strong case that they are not selling the fans down the river for 3 to 5 years.

as they stand right now, if they can save some money on bondra's next contract the payroll with be at $35m just by letting micheal nylander go. by extending and or deferring some money on lang and kolzig's contract, they can resign Gonchar.

the real salary cap work for mcphee will be to find enough money from cutting players like kip miller, gruden, kiwi, rohloff, boumedienne, berry and so on. of the 6 defensemen the caps dressed, plus doig only two will be kept on the nhl roster for the next nhl season. 3 of those guys equals about $1.2m and about what a Ken Klee level player will cost in the salary cap league. Miller and one more cut defenseman is another $1.2m and another defenseman hired.

That builds a defense of Gonchar, Witt, two solid nhl defensemen acquired, eminger and either yonkman or the doig level player that they keep. to me that is a pretty solid defense, to have in front of a quality goalie.

Drake1588 02-01-2004 04:15 PM

Cutting salary has a lot more to do with Leonsis wanting to cut his expenditures on a losing team than it does a desire to be under a possible hard or soft salary cap. Sergei Gonchar is going to make $6 million next season, for someone, but probably not the Capitals. Kolzig will likely go to a contender. Bondra may stay, and Lang may stay. It's entirely too optimistic to think that all four of them will remain, however.

Biscuit Bullet 02-01-2004 04:18 PM

Kolzig is an incredible player--whoever gets him will get one of the best leaders and defacto team captains out there. He's been such a great presence in DC and I'll miss him. My God, I don't know what I would do with myself if he goes to the Flyers. :dunno:

txpd 02-01-2004 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
Cutting salary has a lot more to do with Leonsis wanting to cut his expenditures on a losing team than it does a desire to be under a possible hard or soft salary cap. Sergei Gonchar is going to make $6 million next season, for someone, but probably not the Capitals. Kolzig will likely go to a contender. Bondra may stay, and Lang may stay. It's entirely too optimistic to think that all four of them will remain, however.

Leonsis also knows that the only way to hang on to his tickets sales base is to be competitive and the only way to grow it is be competitive in the playoffs. He is being as loud as he can be that he is not going to tear the team down for a 5 year rebuild. If he moves those 4 players, he will destroy his fan base, because there will be nothing left to go see. Brand naming players in Washington is a long process. A team full of young and unknown players will take as long to create any notoriety as it will to make the playoffs again.

If Leonsis hopes to have a competitive team in the salary cap league, he needs to keep his two defensemen to build on.