HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What to do now? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=485087)

The Devil In I 02-27-2008 09:49 AM

What to do now?
First of all, **** everything. Now here's why...

I basically destroyed my knee last April (thread here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=372055). Had surgery in July, everything went according to plan, and I was good to go by January. Started skating again January 3rd, slightly short of the 6 months I was told the recovery would take (have to wear a custom fit brace when I skate though). So I was in the process of getting back into shape by lifting a lot, doing HIIT training on a stationary bike 3-4 times a week, and skating about once a week by myself.

Then coming back from work last Friday some jackass loses control of his car in the snow, slides over into our lane, and we crash head on into his passenger side. No one was seriously injured, but I had hit the bad leg hard on the dashboard. My leg didn't feel right, but when I checked my knee stability to see if maybe the ACL graft had torn it felt fine. I had them take me to the hospital anyway to make sure. By the time I got to the hospital my knee was swollen to twice the size of the other, but it still wasn't unstable. Xrays showed I fracture my tibial plateau (right below the knee). Surgeon who did my work says it usually heals correctly, but sometimes requires surgery.

First, anyone have any experience with this kind of injury? And can anyone recommend what the hell I can do at the gym for warm ups now? I still plan on lifting for my upper body and core muscles....but now the bike is out for warming up. I have to wear an immobilizer, and am going later this week for an MRI to just make sure all the ligaments are ok. Basically, just my luck.

Gino 14 02-27-2008 10:04 AM

Best advice is to find a competent trainer to work with you on warm-up exercises for the present. You have multiple complex injuries and you need to let one do some healing. You need someone standing there in front of you that can see how both injuries are affecting you and what to do for each and both.

The Devil In I 02-28-2008 01:21 PM

Update, here's the difference between a generic emergency room doctor and an orthodpedics specialist...

Generic: Tibial plateau fracture

Specialist: Yea, your plateau is fine. You have a chipped bone in the back of your tibia. It's causing PCL instability.

So....out of the 4 major ligaments in my knee, I've knocked down 3 of em.:help:

JRZ DVLS 02-28-2008 02:37 PM

I would talk to a Physical therapist before a trainer. PT's have way more knowledge on Rehabbing and have been though way more schooling. Trainers are generally not taught to deal with immediate injuries, nor should they really....Now as for a PT, my wife is a PT at an orthropedics surgeons office, prior to that she was at a hospital. there are big differences, i would suggest finding a place that may specialize in orthos, and sports injuries. They are way more aggressive than say a hospital, since they see people who really want to get better quicker.

I wentto her office after i broke my ankle in july, and was originally in c ast/boot for over two months, but did some serious rehab after, and i am playing fine now.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.