HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ian Cole vs Nick Petrecki (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=485293)

Ginger28 02-27-2008 04:54 PM

Ian Cole vs Nick Petrecki

Which of those two american defensemen has the greatest potential?

Qubax 02-27-2008 04:55 PM

Most may disagree...but for me...Ian Cole hands down...

John Belushi 02-27-2008 05:58 PM

Can't comment of Cole (haven't seen him play) but Petrecki is looking like a very valuable defenseman. Good point shot, good speed, (average acceleration however) can absolutely crush opposing forwards, and has good defensive awareness and checking ability to boot. Looks like a very safe bet for the NHL, at least as a 5/6 defenseman but he definetly has the potential to be a top-4, even top-pairing defenseman in the future.

Astute pick by San Jose.

wings5 02-27-2008 06:59 PM

Cole to me looks like the obvious chioce as a dominating defensive force.

Johnny Snake Eyes 02-27-2008 07:09 PM

petrecki for me, 10 ten dman prospect in my eyes.

Dark Shadows 02-27-2008 08:05 PM

Nick Patrecki looks like a Phanuef lite type player

El Dandy* 02-27-2008 08:08 PM

All I know is that Jarmo has a hard on for Ian Cole.

So I'm going with Ian Cole.

John Belushi 02-27-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thornton_19 (Post 12804910)
Nick Patrecki looks like a Phanuef lite type player

Good comparison. Although Phaneuf looks like the better puckhandler while Petrecki's mental game seems better than Phaneuf's. Petrecki is a devestating hitter, but the unique thing about him is that he picks his spots a lot better than most and usually makes the right play defensively. If his offensive game comes around (and thats a big IF) then I could see him being a top 20, maybe even top 15 defenseman in the NHL's future.

Nielson81 02-27-2008 11:27 PM

I take Petrecki he has a very nasty mean streak, built like a tank and will demolish people, I saw him fight a 21 year old when he was 15...and he took him down

james bond 02-28-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nielson81 (Post 12809632)
I take Petrecki he has a very nasty mean streak, built like a tank and will demolish people, I saw him fight a 21 year old when he was 15...and he took him down

Ah yes, however lets not forget that Colby Cohen mopped the floor with Petrecki last year in the USHL. I think it is still on youtube.

Although with that being said, I think that Petrecki has the best upside. What if he turns out to Phanoef like? > good pick!

james bond 02-28-2008 12:09 AM

I think this is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/colb2591

John Belushi 02-28-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james bond (Post 12810367)
Ah yes, however lets not forget that Colby Cohen mopped the floor with Petrecki last year in the USHL. I think it is still on youtube.

Although with that being said, I think that Petrecki has the best upside. What if he turns out to Phanoef like? > good pick!

I don't think he has the physical upside that Phaneuf does, but Petrecki seems to be better mentally, but he also hasn't yet played a game of pro hockey so who knows.

james bond 02-28-2008 12:23 AM

If Petrecki gets picked for next years U-20 team it will be a good evaluation as the tournament is in Ottawa.

Stories 02-28-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mista Mo27 (Post 12805473)
Good comparison. Although Phaneuf looks like the better puckhandler while Petrecki's mental game seems better than Phaneuf's. Petrecki is a devestating hitter, but the unique thing about him is that he picks his spots a lot better than most and usually makes the right play defensively. If his offensive game comes around (and thats a big IF) then I could see him being a top 20, maybe even top 15 defenseman in the NHL's future.

I just don't see the offensive upside that Phaneuf has. He simply doesn't have the same mobility and passing ability. While I think Petrecki will undoubtedly be a solid defender, he'll be no more an offensive contributor than 20-30pts a season in the NHL. Granted I've only watched him a few times this season, but I stand by that.

firstroundbust 02-28-2008 11:48 AM

I haven't heard anything about Cole, but I've heard the Petrecki = Poor Man's Scott Stevens projection

Redwingsfan 02-28-2008 07:23 PM

Petrecki..

Hold the Pickles 02-28-2008 07:33 PM

How did Petrecki fall to 28th? Has he come along way since the draft or what?

Requin 02-28-2008 07:37 PM

I've never seen Ian Cole play, so I don't know who's better. I do know, however, that I want to have Nick Petrecki's children. And as soon as he has a pro contract with the Sharks, I'll be getting a jersey of his. :yo:

Ten 02-28-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubax (Post 12800652)
Most may disagree...but for me...Ian Cole hands down...

I'll welcome myself aboard, I really like that kid.

Stories 02-28-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles (Post 12824097)

I think what it came down to was offensive upside. All the defensemen that went before Petrecki were considered to have higher offensive upside (sometimes at the expensive of defensive game). That's not to say Petrecki didn't deserve to go somewhere in the mid-teens, but I think he was one of the "safer" picks, if you want to call it that.

fr4ed2384 02-28-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Several of the scouting reports and pubs had Petrecki going between 14 and 17th .. The biggest knock on him was that the competition he faced was not of the highest level . There were several comments that --if Petrecki had played Jrs instead of US he could of been a top 10 pick . The second knock was he did not have close in puck handling skills, he had good hands but pucks in close to his body caused him trouble.. As for his offence , Petrecki has good, soft hands and a solid wrister and a cannon of a slapshot but needs to improve his accuracy.

sattar18 02-28-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

correct me if im wrong but wasnt that the devils pick that they traded to the sharks to take malakov's contract, i wished the devils would have somehow traded up to get him.

imagine a corrente-petrecki Defensive pairing :amazed:

Plager05 02-29-2008 01:02 AM

Not much Ian Cole information here. I wonder if people are leaning more towards Petrecki because he goes to BC and Cole goes to Notre Dame.

Requin 02-29-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sattar18 (Post 12830072)
correct me if im wrong but wasnt that the devils pick that they traded to the sharks to take malakov's contract, i wished the devils would have somehow traded up to get him.

imagine a corrente-petrecki Defensive pairing :amazed:

At your service. ;)
SJ traded the Devils 1st rounder away around the deadline (in either the Guerin or Rivet deal, I forget which). They actually went into the draft with no 1st rounders, but they traded Toskala and Bell for picks, then traded up again to end up with 2 first rounders. Not sure what the Devs pick ended up being - you'd have to trace it through either Montreal or St. Louis which I don't really feel like doing.

Mike Liut 10-26-2010 07:22 PM

How about now regarding these two ?