HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   GDT:Preds Vs Stars: Avoid Embarassment Edition: (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=486592)

jstreet 03-01-2008 11:38 AM

GDT:Preds Vs Stars: Avoid Embarassment Edition:

Are we at a point where we are looking for moral victories? I don't want to be blown out tonight. :help:

barrytrotzsneck 03-01-2008 01:22 PM

i hate to say it, but i think this is going to be ugly. i'm guessing ellis gets the start.

Hopefully we at least get a look at Bochenski with Erat and Legwand.

trotzian brow 03-01-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 12853029)
i hate to say it, but i think this is going to be ugly. i'm guessing ellis gets the start.

Hopefully we at least get a look at Bochenski with Erat and Legwand.

Yes and no: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/80301008

Ellis to start.
VK in and Zanon out.
Bochenski out and Hlavac in. Huh?
Not in game shape from sitting in Anaheim?

PredsV82 03-01-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiery Silhouette (Post 12853339)
Yes and no: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/80301008

Ellis to start.
VK in and Zanon out.
Bochenski out and Hlavac in. Huh?
Not in game shape from sitting in Anaheim?

Hlavac scored a goal in his first game. I dont think you can sit him yet and it makes no sense to play Bochenski on a grind/energy line, since that was basically the reason for his failure in anaheim. If Hlavac disappoints I think BB eventually will get a shot with the 2nd line.

I am cool with no Zanon but hopefully they find a way to get Klein in eventually as well.
Certainly cant be much worse than what we saw vs Buffalo.

Pred303 03-01-2008 03:34 PM

this team has stepped up and pulled out several unlikely wins this year.. tonight's a great night to do it again and steal a couple of points to get back in the hunt.

Seth Lake 03-01-2008 03:57 PM

Lines from practice this week would lead me to believe that the lineup tonight will be:

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov
Erat - Legwand - Hlavac
Fiddler - Nichol - Tootoo
Hordichuk - Bonk - Smithson

Hamhuis - DeVries
Koistinen - Zidlicky
Suter - Weber

Ellis
Mason

PP1:
Arnott - Legwand - Dumont
Weber - Zidlicky

PP2:
Erat - Bonk - Radulov
Koistinen - Suter

Of note, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hlavac get a few shifts in a PK role, but I don't anticipate seeing him on the PP, yet. Also, late in practice yesterday they switched Weber and Koistinen on the PP units after both units were really struggling to move the puck and get off shots. The change actually lead to much better puck movement and more chances for both units, therefore I expect the change to stick. Zidlicky though is WAY too fancy on the PP and has far too many turnovers...not to mention he floats every pass, which allows the PK to shift into the shooting lanes. Look for that to lead to Shea either choosing not to shoot or having his shot blocked a few times on the PP.

Seth Lake 03-01-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pred303 (Post 12856050)
this team has stepped up and pulled out several unlikely wins this year.. tonight's a great night to do it again and steal a couple of points to get back in the hunt.

If you recall, the team really started their turnaround in Dallas on New Year's Eve with a big win with a shorthanded lineup. Hopefully, we can pull together and grit out another victory to use as a turnaround and hopefully propel us into a strong playoff push.

jstreet 03-01-2008 04:29 PM

It sure would help matters if Ellis could be super human tonight.

I dont get to see this game anyway, we are having a coffee house/open mic night for teens at the Brentwood library tonight. It really hurts knowing that the next 4 games wont be televised.

nine_inch_fang 03-01-2008 04:50 PM

Well, the slow week is over and it's time to get on this road trip and make something happen. After this last week all of the "games in hand" talk is out the window. Everyone is pretty much even now and all we have to do is get back to winning games. We been through a couple of rough stretches this year so hopefully this has been just another bump in the road.

I do think this team was worn out a little. A lot of games played over the last couple of weeks plus injuries and sickness costing us man games seems to have taken their toll. Everyone should be rested now.

DaStars99 03-01-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 12857283)
It sure would help matters if Ellis could be super human tonight.

I dont get to see this game anyway, we are having a coffee house/open mic night for teens at the Brentwood library tonight. It really hurts knowing that the next 4 games wont be televised.

all your games aren't televised?

Paincakes 03-01-2008 07:32 PM

Only about 50 something or so are. Carolina is the same way if I am not mistaken.

DaStars99 03-01-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calhoun (Post 12860562)
Only about 50 something or so are. Carolina is the same way if I am not mistaken.

wow that is crazy. Before this season started I figured that all teams broadcast all their games(with exception to Chicago). Now I have found out that SJ only broadcasts about 72 games, you guys only 50 and same with Carolina.

Paincakes 03-01-2008 07:41 PM

I counted 57 games broadcast this season. 56 on FSN-S, plus one on versus.

Jarnberg 03-01-2008 08:24 PM

Nashville needs to start taking advantage of their PP chances... it might be the only way we can get a goal this game..

braindead 03-01-2008 08:55 PM

I think the Preds have gotten away with some penalties but the call on Suter against Modano has to be one of the worst examples of star treatment getting the call in recent memory. If anything it was a penalty on Modano but he throws up his hand and the ref follows like and throws his hand up like a monkey. Maybe Rads will be good enough that one day he can call his own penalties.

vipera1960 03-01-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead (Post 12862959)
I think the Preds have gotten away with some penalties but the call on Suter against Modano has to be one of the worst examples of star treatment getting the call in recent memory. If anything it was a penalty on Modano but he throws up his hand and the ref follows like and throws his hand up like a monkey. Maybe Rads will be good enough that one day he can call his own penalties.

What did you expect out of Tim Peel?

Jarnberg 03-01-2008 10:11 PM

You can tell he doesn't do it alot, but you gotta like Suter sticking up for Morrow's hit on Ellis. Pretty sad play from Morrow there.

Solid road game by the Predators. The team seemed to cleanup alot of the bad plays which lead to the recent blow outs.

Last time we won in Dallas we went on a huge run, lets we do the same after this one.

Tootoo with the gamewinner :joker:

Seth Lake 03-01-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaStars99 (Post 12860133)
all your games aren't televised?

No, FSN South only does 55 games each season and then we get the obligatory 1 on VS. and this season NBC is picking up a couple of our late season Detroit matchups, but both are broadcasts from Detroit!

Joe T Choker 03-01-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 12864634)
You can tell he doesn't do it alot, but you gotta like Suter sticking up for Morrow's hit on Ellis. Pretty sad play from Morrow there.

Solid road game by the Predators. The team seemed to cleanup alot of the bad plays which lead to the recent blow outs.

Last time we won in Dallas we went on a huge run, lets we do the same after this one.

Tootoo with the gamewinner :joker:

that's awesome! ... at least it wasn't Scott Nichol :handclap: :yo: ;)

Seth Lake 03-01-2008 11:29 PM

Well, hopefully this win signals another turnaround in the season for the Predators as our New Year's Eve win propelled us back into the thick of the playoff hunt and one can only hope that the momentum from this win propels us to a successful road trip and maybe allows us to keep up with Vancouver and Colorado among others (ie: Phoenix) in the hunt for the final playoff spots.

I honestly didn't see Legwand's goal! I entered the room, sat down at the television and by the time I turned around...it was 1-0 Preds! Obviously a huge boost of confidence scoring in the first minute of the third period after weathering the storm for so long...especially in the second period (traditionally Dallas's best and our worst). We bent, but didn't break and it was huge to get the first goal and the momentum and sense of security (and relief) that comes with it.

As much of the storm as we had withstood up till that point, we knew that the game wasn't over and at this point, by scoring so early in the period, the clock was our enemy. Low and behold, we again go on the PK as Tootoo gets called for high-sticking Norstrom and you think...here we go again...but BAM Morrow checks Ellis behind the net, Suter answers (although he didn't exactly look like he initially wanted to, it looked like he was waiting for someone else to come flying in) and the team picks it up from there. Although Suter lost the fight, he won, as did the team. As Mason said during the 3rd period interview, it is huge when you have a teammate stick up for another teammate, especially when you answer the goalie getting run. It brings the team together and proves that if you go the extra mile for your teammates, then your teammates are willing to go the extra mile for you.

Then it happens, Fiddler gets the turnover in the Dallas end, Tootoo goes and finds his favorite spot at the top of the faceoff circle away from the Dallas defense and suddenly the puck is by Turco in split second and Toots uses his incredible one-timer to say "F-You Morrow" and put the Preds up by 2. Tootoo has come a long way this season and that again has to be credited to the daily influence of Martin Gelinas working with him. Jordin will have a long NHL career if he can put up 15-20 goals, 35-40 points, and 150 PIM's a season and I was skeptical about whether or not he could do that this past summer, but clearly he has had the opportunity to play a larger role this season and he has flourished in it.

Still, while we now have a two-goal cushion, it is in the back of everyone's mind...what is the state of Ellis in net? He had made a couple of saves after the collision, but you were still wondering as he looked shaky on the first shot and here comes Dallas right back down the ice on a 2 v 1 rush over the blueline, but Tootoo recognizes the situation and that one of the defensemen and the center have been caught up ice and he hustles back to cover the free man in front. Unfortunately however, while I'm praising Tootoo's defensive awareness and progress in developing his overall game...Ribiero is putting the puck past Ellis and it is 2-1 and that icky feeling returns to the pit of your stomach.

Now we've discussed this several times this season, whether it is purely a coincidence or it is planned is a matter of interpretation, but the Arnott line comes out over the boards and the we score! Admittedly, this wasn't one of those goals where they will the puck into the net, but still it is the fact that this line creates opportunities for themselves in a variety of ways and buries those opportunities on a consistent basis that makes this a special unit...that plus the fact that they will be together for quite a while longer. I will admit that I was beginning to curse at Arnott for holding onto the puck way too long on this opportunity, as I'm sure many of you were too, but thankfully just as I thought that the scoring opportunity had passed, Dumont enters the corner of the screen, Arnott feeds the puck over and Dumont puts it past a sprawling Turco going post-to-post.

A great win tonight. Truely a team effort where every line made a contribution. Three different lines with goals tonight shows some balance and probably eases some of the pressure to find the right chemistry with the addition of Hlavac to the lineup combined with the losses of Gelinas and then Ortmeyer. Hlavac with a pretty strong game overall, he works with Legwand-Erat at even strength and did good work on the penalty kill as well.

Ellis gets revenge again in Dallas on the organization that released him this past summer and embarassed him (and the whole Nashville team) last Saturday night. Hope that Dan shakes off the Morrow hit and has no lasting effects from the collision that show up in the morning (ie: stiffness, soreness, etc). The team clearly plays differently in front of Ellis due to his skill set. While this is not meant as a knock on Mason, it clearly is. Mason does not have the same skill set as Ellis does and the team this season plays differently depending on which goalie is in net. Great game by Ellis. Made the saves when needed, was our best penalty killer, and used his stick-handling ability to provide relief to our defense when needed.

You hope there is no hangover from this victory, but it is great to enjoy it tonight! Great night to be a Predators fan! Still a long journey ahead of us to make the playoffs, but it is team efforts like tonight that make me believe in this team. Hopefully the same feeling is shared within the locker room...I have confidence that it is.

Paincakes 03-02-2008 12:08 AM

What was with the Edward Jones thing with Crispy during the 2nd or 3rd period?

Seth Lake 03-02-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calhoun (Post 12866093)
What was with the Edward Jones thing with Crispy during the 2nd or 3rd period?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that over here...mentioned it over on the NP.com boards. New sponsorship...Edward Jones Investment Group! Hopefully they don't yank it after Crispy totally bungled it, but I doubt they will. Great to see another new corporate sponsor added to the fold. Congrats to the front office staff and a big thanks to Edward Jones Investments!

Gotta support those that support the Preds! Anyone else filling up at MapCo stations now that they are a sponsor (and they usually have cheaper gas)? I know I am!

Paincakes 03-02-2008 12:18 AM

Nice :yo:

PredsV82 03-02-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 12866152)
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that over here...mentioned it over on the NP.com boards. New sponsorship...Edward Jones Investment Group! Hopefully they don't yank it after Crispy totally bungled it, but I doubt they will. Great to see another new corporate sponsor added to the fold. Congrats to the front office staff and a big thanks to Edward Jones Investments!

Gotta support those that support the Preds! Anyone else filling up at MapCo stations now that they are a sponsor (and they usually have cheaper gas)? I know I am!

well, dont let Pred303 (Hilllyard Lyons) know it if you start investng with Eddie-Jo. he might just:pout:

Seth Lake 03-02-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 12866512)
well, dont let Pred303 (Merrill Lynch) know it if you start investng with Eddie-Jo. he might just:pout:

Don't worry...I'm a ways away from having any money to invest. But I have to say that P303's long-time contributions in all their fashions would probably garner my business first. Honestly though, when I was driving to SIA last night for the GNASH finals (JPII beat Father Ryan) I noticed that Powerball is getting up there again. If it continues rising, I might just take a stab at it...