HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What do we need for a playoff run? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=48943)

kingsfan25 02-02-2004 07:36 PM

What do we need for a playoff run?

Assuming the Kings hang in there and secure a spot for the post-season, can they hope to achieve some form of success? While I'll admit that just making the playoffs would be huge achievement considering the circumstances, is this team capable of winning a series? Can their heart overcome the superior skill of teams like the Avalanche or Red Wings?

If so, what will be required to do so:

A miraculous return from JA? Some key deadline moves from DT a la Bryan Murray last year? Sacrificing Zizka to the Hockey Gods?

What circumstances must exist in order for the Kings to get past the first round?

Personally I am of the opinion that their best chance is to either overtake San Jose and the surging Dallas Stars for the Division lead or at least take 6th position and play the third seed Pacific leader.

What do you guys think?

Old Hickory 02-02-2004 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Assuming the Kings hang in there and secure a spot for the post-season, can they hope to achieve some form of success? While I'll admit that just making the playoffs would be huge achievement considering the circumstances, is this team capable of winning a series? Can their heart overcome the superior skill of teams like the Avalanche or Red Wings?

If so, what will be required to do so:

A miraculous return from JA? Some key deadline moves from DT a la Bryan Murray last year? Sacrificing Zizka to the Hockey Gods?

What circumstances must exist in order for the Kings to get past the first round??
Personally I am of the opinion that their best chance is to either overtake San Jose and the surging Dallas Stars for the Division lead or at least take 6th position and play the third seed Pacific leader.

What do you guys think?

I think winning the division is Key. Hopefully San Jose does their perennial post all star break nose dive and Dallas doesn't heat up

We NEED A banger back on the Blue Line, We miss Miller big time and even with him need another Physical D man. Even before a forward(which we need too)

palffytofrovlov 02-02-2004 11:46 PM

Number 1 thing is health... no more injuries...

Number 2 SOB type Defenseman... damn Calgary why couldn't you suck so we can trade for Gauthier

I would say that for now...

jfont 02-02-2004 11:56 PM

you're absolutely right...if the kings get jason allison miraculously skating in a month or two and along with straka scheduled to be back, this team is prime to make something in the playoffs...well, hopefully they'll get there first...but boy would that be awesome...allison better see that movie 'Miracle' to get some inspiration...

about what else the kings need well, *cough*hamrlik*cough* i tend to agree that they might need a physical defenseman *cough*hamrlik*cough* in their own end. it would greatly help the younger defenseman *cough*hamrlik*cough* come playoff time...but i really don't know who is out there *cough*hamrlik*cough* that could really fit in very well...you guys excuse me i have something in my throat these days *cough*harmlik*cough*...

signed, subliminal jfont :D

LuckyLUC20 02-03-2004 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Sacrificing Zizka to the Hockey Gods?

Sounds good. :joker:

Seriously, I agree with kingsjohn ... we need a physical defenseman. It doesn't have to be a "big name" guy, just someone to get the job done.

What's the deal with Yushkevich? Someone bring me up to date ... I know he's in Russia playing hockey and I know the Flyers are interested in bringing him back as well.

LuckyLUC20 02-03-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
you're absolutely right...if the kings get jason allison miraculously skating in a month or two and along with straka scheduled to be back, this team is prime to make something in the playoffs...well, hopefully they'll get there first...but boy would that be awesome...allison better see that movie 'Miracle' to get some inspiration...

about what else the kings need well, *cough*hamrlik*cough* i tend to agree that they might need a physical defenseman *cough*hamrlik*cough* in their own end. it would greatly help the younger defenseman *cough*hamrlik*cough* come playoff time...but i really don't know who is out there *cough*hamrlik*cough* that could really fit in very well...you guys excuse me i have something in my throat these days *cough*harmlik*cough*...

signed, subliminal jfont :D

I'm just guessing ... but could you be talking about Hamrlik? :p

jfont 02-03-2004 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
I'm just guessing ... but could you be talking about Hamrlik? :p

wow! thats a great idea luckyluc!! he could fit in very nicely...great job! :handclap: :D

Old Hickory 02-03-2004 12:40 AM

Quote:

Sounds good. :joker:

Seriously, I agree with kingsjohn ... we need a physical defenseman. It doesn't have to be a "big name" guy, just someone to get the job done.

What's the deal with Yushkevich? Someone bring me up to date ... I know he's in Russia playing hockey and I know the Flyers are interested in bringing him back as well.

A number of teams are interesed in him. His season needs to finish before he can come over to NA

LuckyLUC20 02-03-2004 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
A number of teams are interesed in him. His season needs to finish before he can come over to NA

Thanks ...

When would his season end?

two out of three* 02-03-2004 01:15 AM

What about Sean Hill from Carolina? I think he would fit in nicely. How bout Alexander Karpotsev from Chicago?

Old Hickory 02-03-2004 01:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks ...

When would his season end?

That....I don't know

zeppelin97 02-03-2004 02:18 AM

Do you think the Isles would take Aaron Rome + Cammalleri for Hamrlik?

jfont 02-03-2004 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
What about Sean Hill from Carolina? I think he would fit in nicely. How bout Alexander Karpotsev from Chicago?

here's what they say about hill on the canes board

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...ight=sean+hill

karpotsev is still in IR i believe...

two out of three* 02-03-2004 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
here's what they say about hill on the canes board

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...ight=sean+hill

karpotsev is still in IR i believe...

Well they say he is physical but is slow. We could just pair him w/ Visnovsky.. We need a physical defenseman, and even though he is a UFA we could just let him go after the playoffs. This guy has playoff experience and even STANLEY CUP experience. Remember when he dropped Tomas Holmstrom at the blue line in the Cup Finals and then stared at the Red Wings bench? Even though they got beat in 5 games, it was still a good moment. I think this guy would be a perfect fit.