HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Flames Owners Have no Money? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=48958)

reign of fire 02-02-2004 09:02 PM

Flames Owners Have no Money?
 
Why is it exactly that a half dozen very wealthy oilmen and businessmen always have no money to compete with the big boys? Surely taking on a little salary would easily be offset by playoff revenue(assuming they make it). Especially in a year that the WHL Hitmen will also be in as they own both teams and all revenue.

Oiltalk 02-02-2004 09:05 PM

Why is it that other teams can't be more like the Flames and not fork over $8 million to any player like it's pocket change?

reign of fire 02-02-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Why is it that other teams can't be more like the Flames and not fork over $8 million to any player like it's pocket change?

I'm not talking about throwing money away. I'm talking about taking on a little salary in an intelligent acquisition, but it always sounds like there is no options at all regarding $$.

officeglen 02-02-2004 09:19 PM

Which "intelligent acquisition" are we talking about?

dats-13 02-02-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officeglen
Which "intelligent acquisition" are we talking about?

you know, like stealing Jagr when he was available....

Lanny MacDonald* 02-02-2004 09:38 PM

They have plenty of money, they just choose to spend it wisely. Their mantra is "spend a buck to make two". Why flush a bunch of money down the toilet when you don't have to?

Hitman* 02-02-2004 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reign of fire
Why is it exactly that a half dozen very wealthy oilmen and businessmen always have no money to compete with the big boys?

They have money, but being businessmen, they choose to run the Flames like a business. The risks of losing alot of money with the Flames is greater than the rewards they'd get if we did make the playoffs by spending alot of money.

They didn't get rich by signing lots of checks.

reign of fire 02-03-2004 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman
They have money, but being businessmen, they choose to run the Flames like a business. The risks of losing alot of money with the Flames is greater than the rewards they'd get if we did make the playoffs by spending alot of money.

They didn't get rich by signing lots of checks.

So do they not spend and never make the playoffs and just be a perennial also-ran?
If the fans see them trying and making the playoffs, the revenue will come back to them in the form of sold out playoff dates and TV revenue. Penny pinchers occasionally make it(anahiem/minnesota) but it really isn't the norm.

Reign Nateo 02-03-2004 04:40 AM

Its all about making money. Sure they could probably afford to add 15 million in payroll, but then they would probably be looking at a loss.

Similar situation in Vancouver, owner was losing tonnes of money annually and Burke came in and cut salary and made a competitive team, arguably that is one or two peices from contention. The Canucks owner has told Burke to spend any amount he finds reasonable, but Burke hasn't done it yet because he wants to make up some of that lost capital. This is an investment for these owners and none of them like losing money.

Michalek 02-03-2004 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reign of fire
So do they not spend and never make the playoffs and just be a perennial also-ran?
If the fans see them trying and making the playoffs, the revenue will come back to them in the form of sold out playoff dates and TV revenue. Penny pinchers occasionally make it(anahiem/minnesota) but it really isn't the norm.

Well our payroll is only 2mln lower then VAN , igher then Edmonton and over 10 other teams in NHL.
Money arent the reason that we could not make PO in past 7 years , poor drafting and poor trading was.
How many teams has NOTHING to show for players like :
Giguere (traded for pick) ,StLouis(released), Kuba (exposed at waivers draft), Savard ( traded for russian prospect). also 3 top 10 overall selections ( Fata , Tkaczuk ,Krahn - made 0 impact on our team)

reign of fire 02-03-2004 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michalek
Well our payroll is only 2mln lower then VAN , igher then Edmonton and over 10 other teams in NHL.
Money arent the reason that we could not make PO in past 7 years , poor drafting and poor trading was.
How many teams has NOTHING to show for players like :
Giguere (traded for pick) ,StLouis(released), Kuba (exposed at waivers draft), Savard ( traded for russian prospect). also 3 top 10 overall selections ( Fata , Tkaczuk ,Krahn - made 0 impact on our team)

I totally agree with that. They have been the WORST drafting team in the past decade. I guess they committed 40 million cdn to Turek and Iggy too. OUCH!

kolanos 02-03-2004 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reign of fire
I totally agree with that. They have been the WORST drafting team in the past decade. I guess they committed 40 million cdn to Turek and Iggy too. OUCH!

They were far from the worst -- but they definately were near the bottom. But on the other hand, since the Button era the Flames drafting seems to be close to spot-on and now have a vastly improved stable of prospects compared with the Coates era.

Bicycle Repairman 02-03-2004 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michalek
Krahn - made 0 impact on our team)

Oh good lord....

How many 21-year-old goaltenders make an impact at the NHL level? Here's a challenge: Name one.

Krahn seems to be doing swimmingly well in his first pro season so far. Looks like he's put his injured past behind him and everything's on the uppity-up and tickety-boo as far as our favorite Winkler Manitoban is concerned.

And oh, how the Bicycle Repairman was hammered last season by Flames fan brethern for sticking by the kid.

I feel vindicated now. This calls for a Happy Dance.

Moose Head 02-03-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
How many 21-year-old goaltenders make an impact at the NHL level? Here's a challenge: Name one.

Patrick Roy

Buffaloed 02-03-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Why is it that other teams can't be more like the Flames and not fork over $8 million to any player like it's pocket change?

It wouldn't be a bad move for the Flames to pick up a rental player for a playoff run. A lot of money can be made in the playoffs.

Free Torts 02-03-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Oh good lord....

How many 21-year-old goaltenders make an impact at the NHL level? Here's a challenge: Name one.

OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Tom Barrasso. ;)

Lanny MacDonald* 02-03-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Tom Barrasso. ;)

He was 18. :p

Free Torts 02-03-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
He was 18. :p

But was still making an impact at 21! ;) That was the angle I was going for.. :p


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.