HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Nigel Dawes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=48975)

Leetchie2 02-02-2004 10:22 PM

Nigel Dawes
 
Article about him:
http://msgnetwork.com/content_news.j...key&league=nhl

rangers 02-03-2004 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetchie2

Interesting. Maybe he can do something for us in the future. If he isn`t dealt that is...

#37-#93-#27* 02-03-2004 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangers
Interesting. Maybe he can do something for us in the future. If he isn`t dealt that is...

It's not like he'll ever be used here so he might as well be.

Edge 02-03-2004 07:17 PM

if i were nigel, i'd re-enter the draft and take my chances.

Skroob* 02-03-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
if i were nigel, i'd re-enter the draft and take my chances.

how GREAT would it be if all/most of our picks just started doing that???? However, i still dont think management would get the hint.

Seeing as how we have alot of College players, couldnt they just leave school, and go play juniors and be UFA? like Comrie and Van Ryn. I could see some of our NCAA guys doing that, too.

Nemchinov13 02-04-2004 12:55 AM

After reading that article I've came out with the feeling that we have another Mike York on our hands. Similar size, hunger... Hey, who knows. I guess I really, really miss Yorkie.

honestmoe77 02-04-2004 10:16 AM

Yum, MSG Kool Aid.

Edge 02-04-2004 12:14 PM

aside from size, i dont see the york comparisons as being fair.

I think Dawes {at the least at the same stage} is more offensive oriented.

If anything he reminds me somewhat of Marc Savard with a better attitude. small guy, offensive dynamo, a chippy side and he wants to make it.

Potter 02-04-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
aside from size, i dont see the york comparisons as being fair.

I think Dawes {at the least at the same stage} is more offensive oriented.

If anything he reminds me somewhat of Marc Savard with a better attitude. small guy, offensive dynamo, a chippy side and he wants to make it.


in dawes i see more of a martin st. louis as opposed to york or savard.

Edge 02-04-2004 01:02 PM

i dunno St. Louis was a guy who took 8 years to really make a sizeable impact, i think Dawes might have a potential jump on him.

honestmoe77 02-04-2004 02:58 PM

Or he could be the next coming of Pavel Brendl and Manny Malhotra. Ranger prospects have been traditionally overhyped for years. What also makes the article more suspect, is that it's from MSG network.

Edge 02-04-2004 03:47 PM

well i think there is a slight difference.

those guys were high first round picks, this kid is a 5th rounder.

if he even manages to get signed, he's already beaten some rather daunting odds.

5'9, fifth round picks aren't usually expected to develope the way he has so far.

No one is penciling him into an NHL lineup but his progress has been great. The names being thrown around are for playing style only, not expected results.

As for Malhotra, he is showing his true stuff in Columbus where he is {gasp} being given a chance.

He's already tied his career high in goals, is a point away from tying his point high and since joining Columbus 34 games ago would be on pace for totals just an eyelash under 20 goals and 40 points, all while provind solid two way play, energy and leadership qualities.

Is he gonna be an allstar? probably not, but he's showing that he still has the talent, size and character to become a 10-20 goal, 25-40 point player who gives an honest effort.

an honest effort......what a lost phrase on this team of clowns.

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-04-2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
well i think there is a slight difference.

those guys were high first round picks, this kid is a 5th rounder.

if he even manages to get signed, he's already beaten some rather daunting odds.

5'9, fifth round picks aren't usually expected to develope the way he has so far.

No one is penciling him into an NHL lineup but his progress has been great. The names being thrown around are for playing style only, not expected results.

As for Malhotra, he is showing his true stuff in Columbus where he is {gasp} being given a chance.

He's already tied his career high in goals, is a point away from tying his point high and since joining Columbus 34 games ago would be on pace for totals just an eyelash under 20 goals and 40 points, all while provind solid two way play, energy and leadership qualities.

Is he gonna be an allstar? probably not, but he's showing that he still has the talent, size and character to become a 10-20 goal, 25-40 point player who gives an honest effort.

an honest effort......what a lost phrase on this team of clowns.


yea i was pissed off when Sather dealt Malhotra. Hey sather u dont trade a guy just because he is not from Edmonton or was not on the oilers. My fav memory of Malhotra when we scored on a breakaway from a pass from number 99, and another memory was when Lacroix got elbowed from Ken Daneyko and right after Malhotra skated and dropped the gloves. Way to go, I wish our tough guys would do that instead of talk, although Simon should have went after Doig right after. Now when Lindros gets back Sather must put at least one tough guy with him. If not they should test Sather for a concussion or some type of brain injury.

Bluenote13 02-04-2004 04:27 PM

I think Steve Thomas is a good comparison to Nigel Dawes game.

neg marron 02-05-2004 03:38 PM

dawes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetchie2

i predict we'll probably diss him like we did colly and he probably end up being a st louis type player who bangs like adam graves :bow:

NewYorkStranger 02-05-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neg marron
i predict we'll probably diss him like we did colly and he probably end up being a st louis type player who bangs like adam graves :bow:

Collymore is a fringe prospect nothing else. I severly doubt he will ever be more than an ahl player. He is barely scoring at a ppg clip in the "q" as an overage junior, which is nothing special in such a high scoring league for an offensive player. I would hardly say we "dissed him".

As far as Dawes "banging like Adam Graves" i seriously doubt that. Dawes is 179 lbs soaking wet with both pockets full of quarters. Adam wasn't the largest man, but at 210 lbs and with freakish strength for his size he could pack a wallop.

That being said, I'm high on his upside as a potential offensive force for us. He is scoring a goal a game the last i looked in the WHL, where scoring is lower than the "Q". 57 points in 40 games according to hockeydb.com, very impressive numbers for someone who hasnt turned 19 yet.

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM
2002-01 Kootenay Ice WHL 54 15 19 34 14
2002-03 Kootenay Ice WHL 72 47 45 92 54
2003-04 Kootenay Ice WHL 40 40 17 57 25

Trendsetter 02-05-2004 04:34 PM

"They've got a great organization..."

*puff puff pass*

Edge 02-05-2004 05:52 PM

Oh please, Collymore got "Dissed" because he wasn't anything special and every 6 months or so you'd pop in here to blow his horn and then disappear.

Collymore was never anything too special in terms of playing, he was a good kid and i have nothing bad to say about him there but enough is enough about him. He was an average junior player which projects to maybe an echl/ahl career as a third liner. Unless something dramatic changes and his hands catch up to his feet, he stands little chance of being an above average pro {saying nothing about the nhl}

As for Dawes I wouldn't compare him to steve thomas, thomas is way too scrappy and gritty. Not that dawes wont get nasty but that comparison is way off.

I also don't seem him as a "banger" per say. A player can be tough and hard nosed without banging people, take mike york for example. at 5'10, 185 he'd be destroyed if he tried to hammer people, but that doesn't mean he has to be a perimeter player.

But the comparisons to graves, and thomas are getting closer to the power forward mold, which i dont see happening.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.