HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Keeping your head up (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=490126)

Indy on the Road 03-09-2008 10:30 PM

Keeping your head up

Easier said than done, for me.

Whenever I have the ball/puck, my natural reaction is to look right down at it on my stick while I'm stick-handling/moving around. I can't seem to break this habit for good. I've been told it could just be a confidence thing, and I tend to agree. I end up missing open teammates because I'm not looking up, or I'll try and clear and fail because I didn't see the point man, etc. etc.

My skill level is non-existent. I'm just tired of being a liability because of this problem. ;)

Anyone else have the same problem and know any sort of solution?

the_speedster 03-09-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Emery Scares Me (Post 13010972)

Whenever I have the ball/puck, my natural reaction is to look right down at it on my stick while I'm stick-handling/moving around. I can't seem to break this habit for good. I've been told it could just be a confidence thing, and I tend to agree. I end up missing open teammates because I'm not looking up, or I'll try and clear and fail because I didn't see the point man, etc. etc.

My skill level is non-existent. I'm just tired of being a liability because of this problem. ;)

I think you should just quit... seriously you're going to become a cancer on your team with the turnovers and skill deficiiency. There's for sure another guy who can take your place that has superior talent....:sarcasm:

Redden Hogalot* 03-09-2008 10:37 PM

Try stick handling and watching TV (standing up) at the same time.

Congo 03-09-2008 10:41 PM

Try playing against Scott Stevens for a while. :sarcasm:

What I do is I watch a movie, or sometimes I have a conversation with someone and every time I look away from them they either smack me or make me do five push-ups.

The Lollipop King 03-09-2008 10:47 PM

I usually go get a tennis ball and just stick handle while look at targets, your game gets a lot better if you can get good at keeping your head up and controlling the puck. Also you will have better accuracy when shooting.

Just keep practicing it.

Karl with a C 03-09-2008 10:48 PM

Just do it.

I'm not trying to be a smartass with that answer, but the only way to do it, is to do it. Have faith that you can feel the weight, and hear the subtle scrapes of the puck on your stick as you stick handle. For the first few days, 20-30% of your actions will be prefaced with a fanned pass/shot, but you will get past that quickly and your game will skyrocket. I never improved as fast as I did when I started keeping my head up.

Sportacus 03-09-2008 10:52 PM

try having a friend throw stuff at you while you stickhandle. you'll learn to be watchful of your surroundings.

deanosaur 03-09-2008 11:12 PM

haha alot of hate on this one. im not suprised.
usually you learn to stick handle without looking when your 10 if not youngner.. but its probably a bad habit to fix if your older than that.

the_speedster 03-09-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportacus (Post 13011285)
try having a friend throw stuff at you while you stickhandle. you'll learn to be watchful of your surroundings.

you are a GENIUS!

Henrique Iglesias 03-10-2008 12:12 AM

Putting your head down when first playing hockey is essentially inevitable.

Karl with a C 03-10-2008 12:43 AM

Here's the real question: how often SHOULD you look down (at the puck/stick)?

John Belushi 03-10-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperArchetype (Post 13012333)
Here's the real question: how often SHOULD you look down (at the puck/stick)?

As little as you possibly can, aside from the times when the puck is bouncing around in front of yours or the oppositions net and you're trying to either bank the puck in or clear it out, both as fast as you can. There are very few instances in hockey where you should have your head down regardless, but its tolerable in those circumstances.

deanosaur 03-10-2008 01:35 AM

its not necessarily how often you SHOULD, its more or less WHEN is it ok to look down. as mentioned when its like in front of the net bouncing around ok ya i suppoose you could, or just hit the guy then worry about the puck (as your taught take the body first) all in all you SHOULDNT have your head down.

Bluelineswinships 03-10-2008 02:11 AM

take a glove and bite down on the cuff while yur practicing
it prevents you from looking at the puck and yur forced to stick handle with yur head up
taste might not be so good but hey if it helps yur skills hu cares

PIMking 03-10-2008 02:32 AM

wait until you get killed once and you will learn not to have your head down. when i was 12 we got to learn how to hit and take hits so that helped me alot.

Indy on the Road 03-10-2008 01:08 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Maybe I could use one of those neck braces they give dogs.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1992_11461227

K-PAX* 03-12-2008 05:34 PM

be like 6'4 and 235lbs people wont try to hit you as often

Phoenix 03-12-2008 07:10 PM

I don't know how long you've been playing for, but it sounds like you've answered your own question - its confidence.

If you don't have confidence you won't improve.

Especially hockey which relies on speed so much, you can't be too cautious.

Are you playing checking or non-checking? A lot of people improve when they start playing checking because you have to look up. On the other hand, if you are playing in a checking league, maybe you should go to non-checking so you have more time (perhaps) to concentrate on puckhandling.

Or perhaps you need to make a fresh start in a new team, or lower league or something?

Vaheh 03-13-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-PAX (Post 13057595)

Tell Eric Lindros that.
Had the same problem but watching TV and stickhandling at the same time helped me.

xeric716x 03-13-2008 10:24 AM

get one of those hockey balls that feels and weights the same as a puck.

Backstrom #19 03-13-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-PAX (Post 13057595)

K-PAX* 03-14-2008 12:26 AM

theres no scott stevens out there with him lindros went through juniors no sweat

Headcoach 03-15-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Emery Scares Me (Post 13010972)

Ok, there's nothing in the book that says that you have to always keep your head up. It's ok to look down. However, when you look down, you might as well place a 4 Ft radius "Cone of Silence" around you.

By looking down, you are so focused on the puck, that you have a tendency to not see anyone because you are so focused on the puck. Try using your peripheral vision. Look down every once and a while and then look at your target. Try looking up more that looking down. Once you get into the habit of looking up, you will start to do it more often.

Headcoach

Sens Army* 03-15-2008 09:05 PM

Thank you Headcoach

By the way, your goalie tips are awesome

jaywills1020 03-16-2008 08:36 PM

if your talking about looking up while skating through the neutral zone while nobody is really trying to get at you then you dont have to be going crazy. ill try and put this into words although its gonna be hard to explain...think of just pushing the puck on your forehand while skating as opposed to a constant forehand backhand type of stick handling OR just use a slower forehand backhand. if your in traffic take a look at some pros. even they dont have their head up 100% of the time. the key is after making your move where you had your head down you gotta get it up quick to find that open man. try stick handling a golf ball at home in your driveway that might help as well.