HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Unproven young players (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=491232)

x-bob 03-12-2008 04:50 PM

Unproven young players
 
It isn't a secret that wehave a lot of unproven rookies/young players on our team. This might be something that could hurt us in the playoffs. A couple of years ago, we had both Ryder and Ribeiro leading our team in scoring but once the playoffs came, they couldn't transfer their regular season success into post-season success.

Do you guys think that this might happen again to us?
How do you think the following players will respond to the playoffs and the added pressure to win?

Carey Price
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Maxim Lapierre
Ryan O'Byrne
Guillaume Latendresse

How about...

Christopher Higgins
Thomas Plekanec
Josh Gorges

Thanks for the input

THE HOFF 03-12-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bob (Post 13056961)
It isn't a secret that wehave a lot of unproven rookies/young players on our team. This might be something that could hurt us in the playoffs. A couple of years ago, we had both Ryder and Ribeiro leading our team in scoring but once the playoffs came, they couldn't transfer their regular season success into post-season success.

Do you guys think that this might happen again to us?
How do you think the following players will respond to the playoffs and the added pressure to win?

Carey Price
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Maxim Lapierre
Ryan O'Byrne
Guillaume Latendresse

How about...

Christopher Higgins
Thomas Plekanec
Josh Gorges

Thanks for the input

Come on dude.... we have so much depth... if a guy doesn't play, will pick somebody else.

Watsatheo 03-12-2008 05:13 PM

I think Price will step up as he's shown historically at every level.

Plekanec was amazing as a rookie in the playoffs as a shutdown centre so I don't see why he won't be good offensively this year as well.

Gorges already has 11 games of playoffs experience so I don't think he'll be affected negatively.

I think Sergei Kostitsyn will be awesome in the playoffs as he's shown in London he raises his game when the time comes.

I'm a bit worried about Higgins and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Galchenyuk x 27 03-12-2008 05:15 PM

this year they will gain experience.

Get used to where we are, because were gonna be on top for a while, were so young!!

le_sean 03-12-2008 05:16 PM

Price has only flourished when under pressure (WJC, AHL) so I assume he will do very well.

A. Kost I'm not sure. He might be hesitant and try to let Kovy do everything since it would be his first playoff. But he has shown that he is gritty so maybe he's up to the challenge.

S. Kost has played well in the OHL playoffs and his style of play should transfer well in the NHL playoffs. He just loves to win it seems and when given icetime he responds very well.

Lapierre hopefully continues to run his mouth to goalies and star players to try and throw them off their game. We need him to give us a little Claude Lemieux and piss people off. As long as he uses his speed and battles down low I'm happy.

O'Byrne really turned up his level of play in the AHL playoffs last year and even showed some glimpses of offence. Hopefully he keeps it simple and compliments Hammer as opposed to try to do too much.

Gui I don't really have any expectations for. Hopefully he can throw the body around and battle down low like Max. Other then that he seems like the type who would disappeari n the playoffs.

Higgins hopefully steps his game up and puts pucks in the net instead of beside. His secondary scoring is really needed in a 7 game series as the Kovy line will be checked hard. He loves the Habs and loves to win so he should do alright.

Plekanec played very well two years ago against the Canes with Zednik and Perezhogin. Hopefully he keeps it up since it will all fall on his shoulders.

Gorges has so much heart I expect him to play very well.

Watsatheo 03-12-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 13057337)
this year they will gain experience.

Get used to where we are, because were gonna be on top for a while, were so young!!

We're like the Sabres of two seasons ago except we won't self-destruct and dismantle two seasons later.

dzd ncnfzd 03-12-2008 05:28 PM

Youthful enthusiasm, and too young to know they "aren't supposed to be there" and win might carry us a long way, plus Carey's poise. Bunch of young fellows enjoying themselves. Keep it loose.

If it doesn't work out, so be it, experience for next year. I'm looking forward to the story unfolding, ultimate success, hard fought loss, or, gasp, youthful collapse....

Go Habs Go

Ra 03-12-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bob (Post 13056961)
It isn't a secret that wehave a lot of unproven rookies/young players on our team. This might be something that could hurt us in the playoffs. A couple of years ago, we had both Ryder and Ribeiro leading our team in scoring but once the playoffs came, they couldn't transfer their regular season success into post-season success.

Do you guys think that this might happen again to us?
How do you think the following players will respond to the playoffs and the added pressure to win?

Carey Price
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Maxim Lapierre
Ryan O'Byrne
Guillaume Latendresse

How about...

Christopher Higgins
Thomas Plekanec
Josh Gorges

Thanks for the input

Only two of these players have no NA playoffs experience :
Andrei Kostitsyn and Guillaume Latendresse (not sure)

Kovalev will make sure Andrei is ready.

Plekanec was one of our best player against Carolina

JrHockeyFan 03-12-2008 05:52 PM

For what it's worth, as a rookie in Jr Sergei picked up the slack for Dave Bolland who was suspended 8 games in the playoffs. He ended up being the number two scorer in the playoffs that year. He was involved in 7 playoffs rounds PLUS two WJC tourneys in two years. He was MVP at the B championship. I think he has a feel for post season play

There are lots of pros that stink every time they reach post season and young guys who step up. I think that group has guys who will get the job done

RC51 03-12-2008 05:54 PM

" unproven" here we go again.
A word used by a ton of people way way too much.

"Huet" unproven, never played a lot of games, never won anything so he can't be that good so don't ask to much in any trade for him.

S.Kostitsyn
A.Kostitsyn
O'Bryne
Lapierre
Price
Halak
All of them are prospects and unproven not worth more then a 2nd rounder.

Koivu
Pleks
Way too small to bring their team to the cup, unproven as winners.

Markov is OK but Komisarak gets no points
Boullion is to small for a cup contender
Streit is too small for a cup contender.
Hammer is getting old and slowing down and only a 6-7 d man on a good team.

Latendresse way too slow
Higgins very inconsistent and might be a bit brittle but unproven over 82 games.

See what I mean, we have heard all of this from way too many people.
The Habs are unproven, there players are unproven, their coaching is unproven, they will end up 13th-14th in the east.

All of the above is BS from people that don't know chit about hockey.

Sthabs 03-12-2008 06:10 PM

Maybe it has to do with your understanding of the word unprooven or how you perceive it ?

Because it sounds like, to you, unprooven means they can t proove it.

I totally get what you re saying and you re right Rc51, however, for my part, I m just waiting for them to proove it, and in my mind, I have no doubt they can. Will they ? that s another question.

But, people are not wrong when they say they re unprooven exept that, imo again, they re prooving they can right now, they need to go all the way, and repeat it.

For example, I m pretty sure Price will have an extraordinary end of season, the main question is, can he do it again next year and be consistent.

A goalie that s on fire, it happens a lot
A goalie that s on fire and win the cup, it happens.
A goalie thats s good exellent for years, and years, it doesnt happen often and that s what I m hoping from Price

Qui Gon Dave 03-13-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 13057315)
I'm a bit worried about Higgins and Andrei Kostitsyn.

I'm not sure why you'd be at all worried about Andrei. Uncertain if he could do the job, fair enough, but I don't think he has given anyone a reason to worry about his play in big games before.

At times, he has been a go to guy for Belarus (US junior team found out exactly what he could do).

Last year, he was one of the go to guys for Hamilton. Most of the players he played alongside put up their best stats when on a line with him. He also factored in 'the comeback' against the Wolves (down by two goals with less than 25 seconds in the game, Dogs still got a point, AK a goal, maybe an assist - can't remember).

This year, he is 2nd on the team in GWG with 5. Two of those were scored at non-key times in big wins:
* 4 - 1 @ Flyers, Dec 13th when the Habs had a four goal lead before the Flyers scored
* 8 - 2 Vs Boston, Jan 22nd when he gave the Habs a 3-1 lead. Could have been a timely goal in a tighter game, but it wasn't.

His other game winners:
* 6 - 3 Vs Tampa Bay, Jan 3rd. Game was tied at 3-3 when he scored the winner mid-way through the 3rd
* 1 - 0 Vs Flyers, Feb 16th. Only goal of the game. Highlight reel. Enough said.
* 2 - 1 Vs Devils, March 1st. He beat Brodeur with 5m 43 seconds left in the 3rd.

There are obviously going to be questions about if he can do the job in the playoffs which he will need to answer. But even if it takes him a couple of games to adjust, that's ok. So far in his career, he has done a good job when his team needs him and he is a guy who likes to have the puck and tries to make things happen. Time will tell how he handles the NHL playoffs, but so far, he doesn't appear to be setting alarm bells ringing with his play at key times.

If you still feel worried, sit back, relax, breathe deeply and look at your avatar ;)

SOLR 03-13-2008 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 13057315)
I think Price will step up as he's shown historically at every level.

Plekanec was amazing as a rookie in the playoffs as a shutdown centre so I don't see why he won't be good offensively this year as well.

Gorges already has 11 games of playoffs experience so I don't think he'll be affected negatively.

I think Sergei Kostitsyn will be awesome in the playoffs as he's shown in London he raises his game when the time comes.

I'm a bit worried about Higgins and Andrei Kostitsyn.

Uhh, no reasons to be worried.

le_sean 03-13-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 13066705)
Uhh, no reasons to be worried.

I'm a little worried about Higgins. He hasn't really progressed. Sure he seems a bit stronger on the puck but the amount of scoring chances he misses is insane. That's where the problem lies. I am never worried about his work ethic and heart as he will always try and be a serviceable two-way forward, but in the playoffs the team needs secondary scoring so hopefully he begins to fill the net.

Andrei on the other hand is 100x the player he was last year.

SOLR 03-13-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 13066723)
I'm a little worried about Higgins. He hasn't really progressed. Sure he seems a bit stronger on the puck but the amount of scoring chances he misses is insane. That's where the problem lies. I am never worried about his work ethic and heart as he will always try and be a serviceable two-way forward, but in the playoffs the team needs secondary scoring so hopefully he begins to fill the net.

Andrei on the other hand is 100x the player he was last year.

Higgins will get a talk by his father, hell bring mayhem.(lol)

Ice Poutine 03-13-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

A couple of years ago, we had both Ryder and Ribeiro leading our team in scoring but once the playoffs came, they couldn't transfer their regular season success into post-season success.
Please, lets not compare our young players to a guy like Ribeiro who just cant take ANY pressure, be it on ice or in the media and could only blossom elsewhere in a town where hockey is not a major sport.

Our guys are on a practice run of sorts; they'll get some experience this year so that they can win it all next year, the 100th year of existence of our team! Just like in the movies.

This is SO like a Hollywood script...

JMMR 03-13-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 13066813)
Higgins will get a talk by his father, hell bring mayhem.(lol)

Good ol Bobby Higgins.

Licou 03-13-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 13067251)
Please, lets not compare our young players to a guy like Ribeiro who just cant take ANY pressure, be it on ice or in the media and could only blossom elsewhere in a town where hockey is not a major sport.

Our guys are on a practice run of sorts; they'll get some experience this year so that they can win it all next year, the 100th year of existence of our team! Just like in the movies.

This is SO like a Hollywood script...

If they do win this year, what a disappointment it will be isn't it?

beowulf 03-13-2008 10:46 AM

Leave it to a "Habs fan" to try and find something possibly negative...:shakehead

Jakomyte 03-13-2008 11:35 AM

Everyone is unproven at one point... doesn't mean they can't perform.

Plus, CH = GOD... so no worries... :yo:

MastaK 03-13-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakomyte (Post 13069721)
Everyone is unproven at one point... doesn't mean they can't perform.

Plus, CH = GOD... so no worries... :yo:

Exactly..so much people bashed me because I prefered A.Kostitsyn a.k.a an unproven prospect to Ryder a.k.a the two times 30-goal scorer...
I think most people would take A.Kostitsyn in their team before Ryder now...

Erika 05-01-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 13057315)
I think Price will step up as he's shown historically at every level.

Plekanec was amazing as a rookie in the playoffs as a shutdown centre so I don't see why he won't be good offensively this year as well.

Gorges already has 11 games of playoffs experience so I don't think he'll be affected negatively.

I think Sergei Kostitsyn will be awesome in the playoffs as he's shown in London he raises his game when the time comes.

I'm a bit worried about Higgins and Andrei Kostitsyn
.


Theses are amazing calls !! :innocent:

Corey 05-01-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 13057337)
this year they will gain experience.

Get used to where we are, because were gonna be on top for a while, were so young!!

You don't see a Pittsburgh dynasty building up? You don't see other teams with great young talent? The Habs will not be on top of the East next season.

Corey 05-01-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 13057382)
We're like the Sabres of two seasons ago except we won't self-destruct and dismantle two seasons later.

The 2006-07 or 2007-08 Sabres weren't strong enough to win the Cup.

Melvin Udall 05-01-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-bob (Post 13056961)
It isn't a secret that wehave a lot of unproven rookies/young players on our team. This might be something that could hurt us in the playoffs. A couple of years ago, we had both Ryder and Ribeiro leading our team in scoring but once the playoffs came, they couldn't transfer their regular season success into post-season success.

Do you guys think that this might happen again to us?
How do you think the following players will respond to the playoffs and the added pressure to win?

Carey Price
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Maxim Lapierre
Ryan O'Byrne
Guillaume Latendresse

How about...

Christopher Higgins
Thomas Plekanec
Josh Gorges

Thanks for the input


Good and valid questions!

The botton line is whether or not the players can get the job done in the playoffs?

A number of players throughout the league can play well and be productive during the regular season, but in the playoffs, when everyone elevates their game, not all palyers can be as productive.

To me, it was interesting in '06-'07 that the Sens had a great regular season team
(seemingly could compete-- skill wise --with any team in the league) and were physically dominated by the Ducks in the finals!

Early indications (if they mean anything) suggest that the Habs may have a good regular season team but a team that does not handle the physical aspects of playoff hockey very well! :shakehead


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.