HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Why can't goalies wear the "C" or "A" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=491256)

ashleesimpson<3* 03-12-2008 05:55 PM

Why can't goalies wear the "C" or "A"

Why can't we be captains or assistant captains?

Sportacus 03-12-2008 05:58 PM

I'm not sure on the specific decision, but I know that if there is a 'C' or an 'A' on the ice for your team, they have to be the ones to talk to the refs. That would be hard every time for a goalie, imho.

ashleesimpson<3* 03-12-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportacus (Post 13057933)
I'm not sure on the specific decision, but I know that if there is a 'C' or an 'A' on the ice for your team, they have to be the ones to talk to the refs. That would be hard every time for a goalie, imho.

Well it's been my experience that, at least in my league the refs dont bother talking to players and just go straight to the bench to talk to the coach.

Airborne Troll* 03-12-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csn00b (Post 13057899)
Why can't we be captains or assistant captains?

It's a really good question

I'm a goalie and it would be sick to wear a ''C''

petenik 03-12-2008 09:45 PM

because goalies are weird and the refs don't want to talk to them?

real reason is what the 2nd poster wrote...they can't be skating out to the time keepers bench every penalty to figure out the play and go and relay that to the bench.

RobertKron 03-12-2008 09:56 PM

It would be an annoying waste of time for the goalie to have to ferry over to the bench and then to the ref every time the coach had something to say.

Nosebleed Section 03-12-2008 10:31 PM

Yeah goalies cant cross the their own blueline to talk to the refs.

Harv 03-12-2008 10:32 PM

Don't speak so soon.

http://nhlpens.com/wp-content/uploads/icons/conkunh.jpg

Henrique Iglesias 03-12-2008 10:45 PM

The main reason is because goalies have a limited view of all of the play so it would be hard for them to dispute or talk to the refs about something.

Oh and im pretty sure Brodeur was captain for the WorldStars International team a couple years ago.

Edit: yep he was:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/New...eur_martin.jpg

Stripes 03-13-2008 01:36 AM

2 minutes for Leaving The Crease.

Reckless Abandon* 03-13-2008 10:20 AM

Goalies can wear them, but they c an't do anything with them really, so there's no point.

Kevin Regan currently rocks an 'A' on UNH I believe.

Gino 14 03-13-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshutout33 (Post 13068764)
Goalies can wear them, but they c an't do anything with them really, so there's no point.

Kevin Regan currently rocks an 'A' on UNH I believe.

Yup, there's nothing in the rules (USAH) that says that a goalie can't wear a "C", he just can't act as a captain.

Quote:

(c) No goalkeepers shall be entitled to exercise the privileges of
Captain.

RedK 03-13-2008 12:28 PM

The reason is that goalies are not allowed to cross the center line, so that they cannot represent the team in discussions with the ref in their team's offensive zone. As such, they cannot execute the duties of a captain.

Harv 03-13-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedK (Post 13070217)
The reason is that goalies are not allowed to cross the center line, so that they cannot represent the team in discussions with the ref in their team's offensive zone. As such, they cannot execute the duties of a captain.

That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

Please don't just make up reasons.

RedK 03-14-2008 07:21 AM

Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

Please don't make up accusations.

Gino 14 03-14-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedK (Post 13086586)
Harv - I didn't make up the reason. This is what the local referees association told me when I captaining my local beer league team. I ended up having a bench captain who wore the C on the ice, but I ran the team and made the lines. The bench captain's sole job was talking to the referees. Also, if you were to ask this question on places like goalieboard.com, you would find it is a common belief among goalies.

You may not have made it up, but it's still wrong, regardless of who you say told you.

wildebeest 03-14-2008 01:21 PM

because it's in the NHL rulebook.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Rule 14, section D.

ashleesimpson<3* 03-14-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedK (Post 13086586)

Your wrong either way, it'd make no sense if a goalie couldn't pass the red line (unless he's playing the puck) because otherwise in the 2nd period he couldn't get to his bench if the other teams gonna take a penalty.

nodq 03-14-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebeest (Post 13090705)
because it's in the NHL rulebook.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

Rule 14, section D.

Bingo. Reason being in the NHL, it's time consuming for a goalie to skate across the ice after a penalty or to discuss whatever with the refs or his team. I'm not making this up. This is the reason given by Drew Remenda & Randy Hahn (Sharks commentators) during a recent Sharks game when the questions was asked (they answer fan questions during intermission). There has been goalies who wore the C or A in the past, but they don't do it anymore.

My beer league does not allow this either for the same reason. However, we play with a running clock (20 minute periods) so this would take time out of actually playing.

Pittsburgh Proud 03-14-2008 09:43 PM

they cant skate over and talk to the refs

deanosaur 03-14-2008 10:47 PM

why are people talking about beer leagues in here?

nodq 03-15-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 13098930)
why are people talking about beer leagues in here?

Because the original poster asked why goalies can't be C's or A's. He never specified if he was referring to NHL/Pro or local leagues.

Danglous 03-15-2008 08:13 AM

Goalies should be focusing on thier own personal game rather than getting involved and thrown off IMO

Stripes 03-16-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 13070645)
That holds no weight. If there is any kind of discussion with a ref, then play would be already stopped. Therefore it wouldn't be illegal to cross the center line. And it's only illegal to cross the center line if a goalie is making a play on the puck. Goalies cross the center line in the 2nd period if they are skating to the bench on a delayed penalty.

You're right that the Ineligible Player penalty (for playing the puck over centre) doesn't apply, but the Leaving The Crease rule does. Goaltenders aren't even allowed to go to their benches to get water, new sticks, etc, without the referee's permission, and it's generally the captain's responsibility to ask the referee for that permission.

MikeD 03-16-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 13070645)

This is actually the truth of the matter. Even during a stoppage of play, the goalie may only cross the center line with permission from the Ref. One reason would be an equipemnt issue or injury stoppage in hte second period. A sticler for the rules could call a 2 minute minor on any goalie who does so with out requesting permission.

This rule regarding a goalie crossing center ice(USA HOCKEY) is intended to prevent fights from escalating in the numbers of combatants. The only exception to this rule is a delayed penalty in hte second period where a goalie may attemt to get to his/her bench for the extra attacker.