HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   first time with equipment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=492091)

Chevy Cheveldae 03-14-2008 04:09 PM

first time with equipment

hi there, i need some tips on playing real hockey..ok this will might seem weird, but anyway

Tomorrow my floorball team close up the season with a party just to celebrate we won our division and that the season is over and all..

But before that we will play hockey, we get to borrow all the equipment needed, we only need to show up with a stick and skates and the rest will be fixed at the rink.. Now, i've played pickup games for 20 years time or something like that, every winter when i was younger we played, and i can skate so it's not a big issue..but i've never played even with real hockeygloves or shoulderpads or anything like that

but now i'll be getting into a uniform with pads and be able to actually run over my teammates:) without getting hurt, and of course some guys in our team has played hockey competitive before so they'll be our go to guys, giving us newbies tips

any recommendations ?

i'll keep my head up...i promise

sc37 03-14-2008 04:33 PM

In terms of equipment...you're going to be much happier if you go to a shop to buy stuff. That way you can try it on and figure out exactly what fits you rather than buying online for instance and get stuck with uncomfortable pads. Plus the guys at the shop could help you out if needed.

Chevy Cheveldae 03-14-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 13093492)
In terms of equipment...you're going to be much happier if you go to a shop to buy stuff. That way you can try it on and figure out exactly what fits you rather than buying online for instance and get stuck with uncomfortable pads. Plus the guys at the shop could help you out if needed.

eh, but it's just for 2 hours tomorrow, there's no need to buy stuff for that

Karl with a C 03-14-2008 04:39 PM

The only thing to worry about is the equipment weight. If they give you all the proper size stuff: helmet, gloves, pads, then they should feel pretty comfortable and not get in your way, but you will feel a bit slower as all the equipment together is more than a few pounds.

Devil Dancer 03-14-2008 05:03 PM

I had the hardest time getting adjusted to wearing elbow pads. Everything else felt pretty natural, but finding elbow pads that don't restrict your arm movement is key.

Trepanated 03-14-2008 07:47 PM

Well, the main thing is getting stuff that fits right, but if you'll have people to help with that you should be set.

This will probably sound unbelievably silly, but I recommend having some water on hand while putting the gear on. If you are trying various things on, and are slow getting all the equipment on (which you will be if you've never done it before), then you will probably work up a good sweat. It sounds odd to say, but you will want to stay hydrated during the whole process.

Have fun. :)

wildebeest 03-14-2008 11:23 PM

put your skates on BEFORE your shin pads. Otherwise, you run the risk of your shin pads riding too low on your legs and it feels like they're trying to push your skates right off your feet.

sharkticon 03-15-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebeest (Post 13099332)
put your skates on BEFORE your shin pads. Otherwise, you run the risk of your shin pads riding too low on your legs and it feels like they're trying to push your skates right off your feet.

Or just pull your shin pads up. I always put on shin pads first.

sharkticon 03-15-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae (Post 13093155)
but now i'll be getting into a uniform with pads and be able to actually run over my teammates:) without getting hurt

Oh boy, you are dead. Dude, you can still get seriously injured even while wearing all the right gear. Don't do anything stupid.

sc37 03-15-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae (Post 13093510)
eh, but it's just for 2 hours tomorrow, there's no need to buy stuff for that

My bad...misunderstood:shakehead

wildebeest 03-15-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodq (Post 13100384)
Or just pull your shin pads up. I always put on shin pads first.

for some reason that just never works for me. I always have to go socks -> skates -> shins -> pants or it just doesn't feel right.

donelikedinner 03-16-2008 03:31 AM

jock, shin pads, socks, pants, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, jersey, mouth guard and finally your helmet and gloves ;)

BillyShoe1721 03-16-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donelikedinner (Post 13116076)
jock, shin pads, socks, pants, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, jersey, mouth guard and finally your helmet and gloves ;)

same. add in clear tape between socks and pants.

Chevy Cheveldae 03-16-2008 10:50 AM

wow i had the most fun time ever, i had a smile on my face all the time

it took forever just to get the things on in the right order, and there was always someone laughing who had put everything on but forgot to put their skates on, and had to start over, it was always something

i think probably the hardest thing was to get used to playing with gloves, since i've never played with real ones,

but damned what a workout it was, we were 10 guys on each team so we had some rest and the tempo wasn't very high, but still i had to sit down to catch my breath