HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Don Cherry bigs up Komisarek (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=492579)

Claimed Off Waivers 03-15-2008 10:45 PM

Don Cherry bigs up Komisarek

Nice of Don Cherry to acknowledge Komi's fine play this year. He said that he's a throwback to the way tough defensemen played in his day and even showed a little video montage.

This is the second week in a row that Don devotes part of his precious time to a Hab player. What gives? Is he getting ready to get on the Habs bandwagon for the playoffs?

VanNistelrooy 03-15-2008 10:46 PM

He's doing that so hopefully the ontarians will keep watching TV this year even is the leafs are out of the playoffs.

Rayne* 03-15-2008 10:54 PM

Probably confused Komi for a good Canadian kid. Once he founds out Komi's American, he'll start ragging on him in his own senile way.

emb24* 03-15-2008 11:21 PM

it was funny listening to cherry diss the leafs for not drafting cogliano
:biglaugh:

Stephen Locke* 03-15-2008 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=CHiggs;13113788
This is the second week in a row that Don devotes part of his precious time to a Hab player. What gives? Is he getting ready to get on the Habs bandwagon for the playoffs?[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
He's already a huge Koivu supporter,so it would be plausible.

Claimed Off Waivers 03-15-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emb24 (Post 13114222)
it was funny listening to cherry diss the leafs for not drafting cogliano
:biglaugh:

I found it funny when he said that they drafted some Finn goalie instead. :biglaugh:

I know Don's has given Koivu props in the past, but it just seems so unlike Cherry to mention the Habs in back to back weeks. Usually he avoids talking about the Canadiens all together. :amazed:

Judge Sauer* 03-16-2008 12:49 AM

Than traded the Finn goalie for Boyes.....it looked more like Komi was a segue than an actual Komi moment.

snakeye 03-16-2008 03:24 AM

Tsss... Done Cherry on Komisarek:

"Uh and... Komisarek good, most hits and blocked shots or something like that, it's written here...yup..."

He spends more time talking about dead soldiers than about the habs.

Fish on The Sand 03-16-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne (Post 13113892)
Probably confused Komi for a good Canadian kid. Once he founds out Komi's American, he'll start ragging on him in his own senile way.

Cherry doesn't mind Americans, they play, for the most part, just like Canadians. If he were to find out that Komisarek was Polish though...

Rayne* 03-16-2008 03:30 AM

Don may give Koivu props, but for once I'd like to hear him say his name right. It's Saku, not Sako.

le_sean 03-16-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 (Post 13116054)
Tsss... Done Cherry on Komisarek:

"Uh and... Komisarek good, most hits and blocked shots or something like that, it's written here...yup..."

So what?

It's nice he has tributes to fallen soldiers, police officers and firefighters. Kudos for taking the time to do it.

nibbles 03-16-2008 04:18 AM

Don Cherry is definitely senile..

Was talking about Canucks Jeff Cowan too.. the guy is the most useless player in the nhl.. he was hyping him up to be a key part of the team.

The Komisarek video thing was good though

Fish on The Sand 03-16-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 13116153)
So what?

It's nice he has tributes to fallen soldiers, police officers and firefighters. Kudos for taking the time to do it.

I agree, it is one thing I have to give him credit for. Every time he talks about them you can hear it in his voice how emotional he is. Don Cherry is many things, but I say good on him for caring.

GNick42 03-16-2008 06:18 AM

Like to had the chance to seen Ken Reardon play....he said Reardon was tougher than Komi....wow

onice 03-16-2008 06:24 AM

I hope you guys realize that Cherry has been clamoring for the past few years that Lecavalier is the best forward and Luongo the best goalie. He has high praise for Sundin and Koivu.

i can remember when he was coaching the Bruins, a reporter asked him why he was playing an American college player - Miller I think. He replied I'll put any player on the ice that helps me win

I really don't think he's a bigot. I just think he goes overboard and exaggerates some of his comments.

Maxpac 03-16-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Sauer (Post 13115150)
Than traded the Finn goalie for Boyes.....it looked more like Komi was a segue than an actual Komi moment.

I think you ment, then traded that Finn goalie for an average backup goaltender..

wedge 03-16-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 (Post 13116054)

that's one thing I won't complain about him. He's a patriot.

ed ible* 03-16-2008 08:33 AM

I find Don Cherry a bit senile and cant stand his love for Boston and Toronto............that being sad, I still find myself running to the tv and turning it up when Coaches Corner comes on.........:shakehead

Altoid 03-16-2008 08:36 AM

I don't give a rats a** that Cherry said anything about the Habs whether it be good or bad, I wrote this guy off a few years ago as a senile lunatic windbag. I don't consider him a good judge of hockey talent, the game has gone beyond his understanding and he's not a hockey fan, he's a Leafs fan. As far as I'm concerned, Komi could have received the compliment from Rain Man, it has the same effect for me.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-16-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 13116443)
I think you ment, then traded that Finn goalie for a bad backup goaltender..

Fixed.:thumbu:

Ice Poutine 03-16-2008 09:11 AM

Look, its simple, he can talk about the Leafs as much as he wants and all he has to do is talk about a Habs player for a minute and CBC is off the hook and no one is calling complaining we are ignored.

Its called patronising and that old clown is just doing it to shut us up.:shakehead

mert 03-16-2008 09:53 AM

So shoot me, I love Don Cherry. I don't always like everything he says, and I certainly don't like when he says offensive things about Quebecois or Europeans, but he is entitled to his opinion. Gotta support a K-Town boy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy (Post 13113806)
He's doing that so hopefully the ontarians will keep watching TV this year even is the leafs are out of the playoffs.

I'm from Ontario, and I've been a lifelong Habs fan. While this is unusual, it happens often, and the media isn't going to assume all Ontarians are Leafs fans. There is another Ontario team too, and if anything they are more popular here than the Leafs.
Hell, my dad was from Winnipeg during the Original Six. He became a Habs fans for two reasons: they were awesome and everyone else were Leafs fans. :handclap:

VanNistelrooy 03-16-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mert (Post 13117153)
So shoot me, I love Don Cherry. I don't always like everything he says, and I certainly don't like when he says offensive things about Quebecois or Europeans, but he is entitled to his opinion. Gotta support a K-Town boy!

I'm from Ontario, and I've been a lifelong Habs fan. While this is unusual, it happens often, and the media isn't going to assume all Ontarians are Leafs fans. There is another Ontario team too, and if anything they are more popular here than the Leafs.
Hell, my dad was from Winnipeg during the Original Six. He became a Habs fans for two reasons: they were awesome and everyone else were Leafs fans. :handclap:

I should have precised Ontarians Leafs Fans...

Analyzer 03-16-2008 09:59 AM

Cherry does rant on some stupid stuff and is too big of a leafs' supporter, but he does say some right things. No-touch icing, padding on the stantions (sp) at the benches, he claims to have seen Nash, Stamkos, Tavares, Cogliano, etc when they were young and no one else noticed them.

mert 03-16-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy (Post 13117185)
I should have precised Ontarians Leafs Fans...

Nice! I'm just a little sensitive. When people hear I love hockey it's always: "Leafs?" No. "Sens?" No. "Well, who then?" :p: :)