HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Niittymäki to start vs Caps (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=49269)

Flyman 02-03-2004 04:23 PM

Niittymäki to start vs Caps

It's official, Anttero Niittymäki will replace Rob Esche. He will start between the pipes against Washington on Wednesday.

Anttero

GKJ 02-03-2004 04:30 PM

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not that I an excited that Esche is hurt, but I've been following Niittymaki probably longer than anyone else in this forum, so i'll be pretty pumped. this is a day i didn't think would come after seeing how expendable Ouellet became to Clarke.

Dr Love 02-03-2004 04:40 PM

Neil Hartman said that Ouellete will be in goal for the Caps. Interesting.

GKJ 02-03-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love

Fuel to the fire :eek: :D

Neil Little will start vs. Atlanta he also said.

blah 02-03-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

Ha, nice little matchup. Figured they'd start Kolzig and try to increase his trade value.

capn89* 02-03-2004 05:17 PM

want my personal opinion? There are very few people in this world I want to see hurt, Robert Esche is NOT one of them... I may not be a fan of him, but he's a good guy, etc etc etc. But to be honest with you, I'm glad he's out. It's about time Philly gives one of these young goalies they say are "so great" a chance to prove themselves. Hope he does well, can't wait for the game tomorrow :D

Flyers26 02-03-2004 06:44 PM

Quote:

That should be interesting. I hope we play our best 2 games of the season, in front of both goalies the next 2 games. Little against Atlanta's firepower is scary!

Steve L* 02-03-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Hes starting tonight as well. Thats seems a bit weird to me if its true.

Brad* 02-03-2004 07:19 PM

Now we'll finally be able to see what Antero is all about.

FlyersGuy69 02-03-2004 07:38 PM

cool! I can't wait to see this kid between the pipes for the Flyers. hopefully he will have a great start and Hitch will feel more comfortable with playing him more.

GOOD LUCK NIITTYMAKI! :yo:

Flyers26 02-03-2004 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
cool! I can't wait to see this kid between the pipes for the Flyers. hopefully he will have a great start and Hitch will feel more comfortable with playing him more.

GOOD LUCK NIITTYMAKI! :yo:

I bet they'll wait on a trade. It's a seller's market know, and I'm sure Bobbie knows this.

Toonces 02-03-2004 09:12 PM

I'm anxious to see how well Antero plays.

Niittymaki has very quietly turned himself into a legitimate NHL prospect. I remember reading the scouting reports on him from draft day and nobody really thought he was anything special.

MojoJojo 02-03-2004 09:23 PM

IMO this is great news. I got to see him play a couple times on the Phantoms this year, and he has always been good. He has had time to adjust to the surface, and has played quite well recently. Remember, he doesnt need to be Brodeur, just hold the fort until Esche heals, which I think he will do just fine.

Whinks 02-03-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

I was watching the Caps-Lightning game tonight on CSN, and the Caps commentators said that Kolzig would be starting tomorrow.

GKJ 02-03-2004 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
I'm anxious to see how well Antero plays.

Niittymaki has very quietly turned himself into a legitimate NHL prospect. I remember reading the scouting reports on him from draft day and nobody really thought he was anything special.

A lot of that came through the tootilidge from Finnish goalie coach Urpo Ylonen, plus the success he had with TPS Turku in SM-liiga help his confidence, winning 2 championships. He's a winner, obviously never in the NHL before, but he does know how to win.

capn89* 02-04-2004 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
IMO this is great news. I got to see him play a couple times on the Phantoms this year, and he has always been good. He has had time to adjust to the surface, and has played quite well recently. Remember, he doesnt need to be Brodeur, just hold the fort until Esche heals, which I think he will do just fine.

and say... lets JUST say... Antero f-ing tears it up, and is stellar between the pipes... do the flyers have the balls to go with him, or will clarkie go with Esche just so his "guy" isn't overshadowed?

Hammerwise 02-04-2004 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
and say... lets JUST say... Antero f-ing tears it up, and is stellar between the pipes... do the flyers have the balls to go with him, or will clarkie go with Esche just so his "guy" isn't overshadowed?

I wouldn't worry about that. Both the flyers and I am not sold on Nitty yet, but what else can the flyers do? Little was BAD against Tampa the other night and has never shown "NHL stuff" to get a chance really so its safe to say he isn't "NHL" caliber. Great guy and has really helped the Phantoms, but not NHL caliber.
Nitty has been brought up slowly, and I bet if we were facing a team better than WASH, he wouldn't be starting.
The circumstances are dire in net and Philly will lose w/out Esche and HAckett unfortunately.
I'd love to see Patrick Roy mach 2, but lets be realistic

swflyers8* 02-04-2004 07:28 AM

Quote:

I say that puts us in a good situation. Hackett is supposed to return next week. If Antero plays good and Hackett isn't over the vertigo, we have Antero. I'm excited to see what he can do.
Everyone can't seem to say enough about him. Let's see what the kid has got before we say anything. I think it would be awesome though if he turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

I like what Clarke and the Flyers are doing. He isn't jumping the gun to get a goalie in here. He isn't getting ready to ship our future out to fix the present. Isn't that what we want? Not to lose our future guys? Hackett is coming back and we have Atlanta and Washington. I would never say that they are easy teams but they aren't the Devils. We have them next week. So, we have a bit of time to see what Antero can do and what Neil can do while Esche is out. I don't blame him for the Bolts game. Everyone left Rusty wide open while 4 Flyers converged on St. Louis. Neil may perform better because he won't be cold going into the game. Let's see what the young guy can do. I'm looking forward to the game tonight.

MojoJojo 02-04-2004 08:10 AM

Personally, I think they should have been playing Antero every second or third game since the Hackett "injury". They rode Esche too hard, and failed to have a contingency in case this very thing happened.

I believe Antero has what it takes, but right now our backs are to the wall, and he has very little time to adjust to the NHL. The AHL is similar, but the skill level is such that a goaltender who cheats a bit in the AHL (which I have seen Antero do), does not get punished as much.

adurn 02-04-2004 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not that I an excited that Esche is hurt, but I've been following Niittymaki probably longer than anyone else in this forum, so i'll be pretty pumped. this is a day i didn't think would come after seeing how expendable Ouellet became to Clarke.

Do you know enough about him to give us a scouting report? What are his strengths? Weaknesses? I don't know much about him myself except that he's had great seasons in Finland. One year I think he posted around a 1.85 GAA and above .935% SP, and has won 2 championships.

FlyHigh 02-04-2004 09:04 AM

It would be nice to know a little more about him plus his techniques, etc. Why do they already say that Little is starting vs. ATL? If Nittymaki has a good night, they can't go and hurt Little's confidence by starting Nittymaki instead of him.

Flyers26 02-04-2004 09:05 AM

Here are his stats with the Phantoms this season:

14-7-5
4 shutouts
2.11 gaa.

Flyers26 02-04-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
It would be nice to know a little more about him plus his techniques, etc. Why do they already say that Little is starting vs. ATL? If Nittymaki has a good night, they can't go and hurt Little's confidence by starting Nittymaki instead of him.

I bet it's beacuse it's back to back days. If we had a day off in between, and he has a good game, vs. caps, Hitch would probably have started him, vs. Atlanta.

swflyers8* 02-04-2004 09:13 AM

Preseason projected role Niittymaki might be considered Philadelphia's goaltender of the future but for now he'll spend more time with the AHL's Philadelphia Phantoms.

Assets Displays a calm demeanor at all times and plays with the poise of a 10-year pro. Comes up with big saves at key moments of a hockey game.
Flaws Must rely on positioning and reflexes, because he doesn't cover a lot of the net with his frame alone.

Career potential No. 1 goalie.

Talent Analysis

Niittymäki has drawn some comparisons to Edmonton goalie Tommy Salo because of his fast glove and quick side-to-side reflexes. He is good at showing a five-hole and pulling it away. If Niittymäki has a weakness, it is on the stick side.

Future

Niittymäki will now begin to make the transistion to the North American game. The future #1 job with the Flyers is there for the taking if he develops rapidly enough.

Stats

Regular Season
Season Team GP MIN SO W - L - T GAA SV%
2001-02 TPS 42 1.73 .943
2000-01 TPS 21 1112.31 2 10 - 6 - 1 2.48 .9067
1999-00 TPS 32 1899.21 3 23 - 6 - 2 2.15 .9295

Playoffs
Season Team GP MIN SO W - L GAA SV%
1999-00 TPS 8 453.11 0 6 - 1 1.72 .9444
2000-01 TPS DNP

Cuiff 02-04-2004 10:25 AM

:handclap: :yo: :handclap: