HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   stinky blocker (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=492936)

DevsFan84 03-16-2008 10:02 PM

stinky blocker

I know this question has been asked and answered 100 times...but I haven't seen anything specifically for blockers/catch gloves. In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, it smells like a turd covered in burnt hair. It is truly horrendous and has been banished to the garage until I can do something about it.

So here's what I've tried- I tried drying it on the floor (we have radiant heat so the floor gets warm) and it works, however it becomes too stiff. I've tried air drying it but it doesn't dry quickly enough.

Besides professional cleaning- which I will have done soon- is there any way to lengthen the time before such an expensive service is required? A spray, of some sort, perhaps?

Nosebleed Section 03-16-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 13129686)
I know this question has been asked and answered 100 times...but I haven't seen anything specifically for blockers/catch gloves. In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, it smells like a turd covered in burnt hair. It is truly horrendous and has been banished to the garage until I can do something about it.

So here's what I've tried- I tried drying it on the floor (we have radiant heat so the floor gets warm) and it works, however it becomes too stiff. I've tried air drying it but it doesn't dry quickly enough.

Besides professional cleaning- which I will have done soon- is there any way to lengthen the time before such an expensive service is required? A spray, of some sort, perhaps?

Thats the smell of victory and awesomeness, why would you want to rid that?

On topic though I've seen lots of sprays and stuff in my day that are meant to be odour preventers. You could check your local hockey/sports shop for those or you could just febreeze the hell out of it.

Henrique Iglesias 03-16-2008 10:25 PM

soak that stuff in febreze, but it'll make it a little stiff.

K-PAX* 03-16-2008 10:51 PM

Get a new blocker.

triggrman 03-17-2008 07:13 AM

spray it down with rubbing alchohol.

Don't use Frebreze it will make it worse.

RedK 03-17-2008 07:48 AM

The best thing to do is re-palm it. The smell is in the glove - if you replace the glove, the smell goes away. Barring that, rinse it several times with very hot water laced with some rubbing alcohol. The hot water will dissolve the crusted sweat-salt, which is part of what makes it stiff. The rubbing alcohol will kill the bacteria that makes it smell.

MikeD 03-17-2008 05:28 PM

3 parts water to one part isopropyl alcohol. Mist down and let dry. repeat frequently.

Air dry away from a heat source is your best bet. The stiff part is solved by squirting the palm down with water once you get to the rink.

HerrAlex 03-17-2008 05:33 PM

febreeze antimicrobial. I can't smell my pads unless i stick my nose in them

nni 03-17-2008 05:42 PM

5% vinegar solution. plain white vinegar, and water. this will kill bacteria and mold, and improve the smell. the first two being more important than the smell.

DevsFan84 03-17-2008 11:36 PM

thanks guys.

TheShoe82 03-18-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nni (Post 13139726)
5% vinegar solution. plain white vinegar, and water. this will kill bacteria and mold, and improve the smell. the first two being more important than the smell.

DONT USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!!!

Stick to white only. Otherwise youll smell like hard cider on the ice. :biglaugh:

FiveHole23 03-18-2008 03:56 PM

Yea Febreeze, that stuff is amazing. I take showers in that stuff.