HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Latendresse learning better habits (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=493425)

Lord Horse 03-18-2008 12:50 PM

Latendresse learning better habits

Since he gets more bashing than kudos, I thought I'd post this. Snipped from this RDS article. Shows that he's learning, training more, and IMO the best is yet to come.
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/248109.html

English translation:

Guillaume Latendresse is doing like his teammate Tom Kostopoulos. He's trying to improve his skating by adding weights to his skates during practice.

"I could prolong my career with a bit more speed," says Latendresse.

The forward from Ste-Catherine is in good spirits since Carbonneau has reunited him with Saku Koivu and Michael Ryder. He's also very keen on working out.

"Last year, I went to the gym if Scott (Livingston) told me to [note: SL is the Habs' strength & conditioning coach]," says Latendresse. "This year, I've got better habits. I do more cardio. I even have a circuit [routine] with Francis (Boullion). I also do more on the ice with Roland (Melanson)."

Latendresse needs 4 more goals to reach 20 on the year.

"I still have nine games," he says, "But honestly I'm already happy with my performance. I hit my total from last year even though I haven't played much on the powerplay."

Like many have said, this is a young man and his maturing process is just that - a process. I happen to think he's had a decent season, playing mainly on 3rd and 4th lines, with limited icetime, and still hitting 16 goals. IMO he may well get more PP time next year. I've been wanting to see the 84-11-73 line again for a long time (I think Gui and Koivu work very well together). Good to see that he's been working on his weakest aspect, there's no telling how far he can go if he keeps it up during the next 2-3 years.

Chapeau Gui !

montreal 03-18-2008 12:55 PM

Good to hear, I have been a fan of his since he was 16, and think that in a couple years we will start to really see what he can do as long as he continues to work on his skating/mobility/foot speed. I still want to see him be more physical, I recall him being a dominate force physically in the Q playoffs would love to see him get back to that as he can hit hard.

Licou 03-18-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 13148937)
Good to hear, I have been a fan of his since he was 16, and think that in a couple years we will start to really see what he can do as long as he continues to work on his skating/mobility/foot speed. I still want to see him be more physical, I recall him being a dominate force physically in the Q playoffs would love to see him get back to that as he can hit hard.

I have never seen him in the Q so I will trust your opinion. Reading your input, it reminded me of one of his shifts in last game or the Ottawa game, I am not too sure :help:. He just went ape **** and connected three solid hits in the offensive zone. It was quite impressive. That kid is strong as a bull.

kris 03-18-2008 01:07 PM

Yeah it was a sick shift, Lapierre threw a solit hit too. The best/most energizing shifts they had all game, and it led to a few good shifts that generated chances by the scoring lines. The Gui-Koivu chemistry is obvious and if Grabo-SKost can click, which they looked like they were versus the Isles, we have 3 solid scoring lines.

If Gui could consistently play physical, he'd be a force...as long as hes smart with his hits but still brings em, he'll be effective regardless of his speed. Improving it is always better though.

Watsatheo 03-18-2008 01:17 PM

His +/- is also -3 compared to the -20 last season. He's a +4 in his last 23 games. That's pretty impressive considering who he plays with. I hope he gets into the positives.

Lord Horse 03-18-2008 01:33 PM

If he stays with Saku + Ryder, I predict he will hit + numbers before the year is out.

Last night I was watching MIN v COL and they talked about trying to put together 2 scoring lines, and how teams are trying like mad to get that together at this point in the year. It made me think how we are blessed with such good depth. Latendresse, Grabovski, Ryder etc...... there are teams where these guys would be getting much bigger minutes than they do in Montreal.

I'm sure there are 29 teams who'd welcome Gui on their squad right now. It's exciting to think what kind of player we could have on our hands when he turns 23-24. Good on him for learning from the pros around him and developping the habits that will serve him for the rest of his career. There are guys in the AHL right now who will never figure out that constant training is the only way to keep your body in NHL shape.

As an aside, I'd like to note that Francis Bouillion is really freakin' strong, a really good guy to pair up with.

coolguy21415 03-18-2008 01:39 PM

Yeah I was a bit shocked that Gui was doing a circuit with Bou Bou. He's a freaking tank.

LyleOdelein 03-18-2008 01:49 PM

Gui is awesome. People that bash him mysify me. He's still a pup, he'll be a good player in a couple years.

WeThreeKings 03-18-2008 02:04 PM

It's good that he recognizes he needs to work on his speed to have a better career in the NHL. If he gets his speed going along with his size we're gonna have a hell of a player, because we all know he has the hands.

Jean-Guy Drouin* 03-18-2008 02:04 PM

I honestly hope he will play on the 2 first line on a regulary basis next year. In order to produce, a player like Latendresse need ice time and a good playmaker. Like he had on last games.

Iwishihadacup 03-18-2008 02:08 PM

good thing you posted this article, this will repel a bit the youngster basher bandwagon

Keep Going Gui-Gui

Pascal 03-18-2008 02:13 PM

i bash him sometimes but it's not without knowing his upside either. He did improve a lot on the defensive side of the game, which is very good. With some speed and more fire in his belly he'll be a force.

Ozymandias 03-18-2008 02:18 PM

If Guy can upgrade his skating, he'll be a force to reckon with.

Biggsy 03-18-2008 02:24 PM

The guy has very good hands and could be a potential 30 goal scorer in my mind just needs more foot speed and of course playing with the right people

Guillermo 03-18-2008 02:27 PM

His speed surprised me on his last goal! Could he be faster that he was at the beginning of the year?

bipolarhabfan 03-18-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 13149962)
If Guy can upgrade his skating, he'll be a force to reckon with.

Completely agree. When he hits people they feel it for a long time. He seems to be learning that he needs to constantly improve on his fitness and skating in order to be a better player. He has all the tools to be a great power forward. Moreover, it will be nice to see him on a line with MaxPac in the future. And, the defensive pairings would be Komi and Emelin. The opposition will be thinking twice when they are on the ice against those four players.

Bullsmith 03-18-2008 02:41 PM

One thing I really like about Latendresse is his attitude so far. He's a big kid getting paid ridiculous money, with ridiculous media attention due to being the only Quebecois kid with a significant upside on the team, and so far he's been everything I could hope for. He's never complained about anything, and he seems to be both identifying where he needs to improve and developing the tools and habits to do so.

Of course it's just a puff piece, but I think this guy is headed in the right direction and somewhere between 22-25 he could break out.

Little Nilan 03-18-2008 02:43 PM

I've already mentioned what my criticism on him was in another thread.

I have a lot of positive to say about him as well. First, he's been skating better, he's been a lot better without the puck, he's still the best goalscorer on the team faceoff circle in(he's got the instinct to be a 30-40 goal scorer).

I really like that line with Koivu and Ryder though, I wish we'd had seen it before. Koivu needs guys with size, scoring ability, who don't like to carry the puck and who have similar game speed. He doesn't really mesh well with a more up tempo guy like Higgins this year.

Same thing with Grabo, S. Kostitsyn and Higgins. I find they work really well together, they're all fast, talented and up tempo players(although Grabo uses his smarts a lot).

The problem with having these lines though is the defensive part of the game. We'll see how Carbo handles it. His players are conscious of the defensive part of the game, but when you compare them to what teams like Minnesota, Dallas, San Jose, Columbus or Anaheim have/play like, they'll have to work very hard in the PO.

Tuggy 03-18-2008 02:43 PM

Patience is the key with Gui. It's tough sometimes but we just have to remember that he is still just 20 and will get better. His skating has improved from last year and I think it's safe to assume it will continue to get better.

Jeffrey 03-18-2008 02:50 PM

I appreciate that but hopefully we will see the results because he has too much talent to be such a poor skater !

Dark4ng3l 03-18-2008 02:55 PM

Gui is not that slow it's just his acceleration that sucks.

Maxpac 03-18-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 13150345)
Patience is the key with Gui. It's tough sometimes but we just have to remember that he is still just 20 and will get better. His skating has improved from last year and I think it's safe to assume it will continue to get better.

Some posters should read and reread this evrytime they go to bed at night. It's been a very long time since we had a prospect with such a desire to perform well. I would just wish that people would think before they post bull**** about him, why isin't there more people here who realise that he can't hit more playing with Smolinski and Kostopoulos or else he puts his line in trouble, why can't people here realise he can't crash the net if his teammates can't even get the puck there, why can't people realise he didn't take powerskating classes because he spent 6 days evreyweek to get more in shape and have better cardio, he had 2 major problem bwefore joining the Habs last year, he was fat and he was slow, 1 is gone, now Latendresse will take his skating lessons this summer and become twice the player next year, for now i just hopes he sticks with Koivu. Those 2 are perfect for eachother

Ozymandias 03-18-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 13150691)
Some posters should read and reread this evrytime they go to bed at night. It's been a very long time since we had a prospect with such a desire to perform well. I would just wish that people would think before they post bull**** about him, why isin't there more people here who realise that he can't hit more playing with Smolinski and Kostopoulos or else he puts his line in trouble, why can't people here realise he can't crash the net if his teammates can't even get the puck there, why can't people realise he didn't take powerskating classes because he spent 6 days evreyweek to get more in shape and have better cardio, he had 2 major problem bwefore joining the Habs last year, he was fat and he was slow, 1 is gone, now Latendresse will take his skating lessons this summer and become twice the player next year, for now i just hopes he sticks with Koivu. Those 2 are perfect for eachother

MaxPac :shakehead

:biglaugh:

;)

Tuggy 03-18-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 13150691)

I think Koivu and Gui work together because they play at the same type of speed. I also believe that Koivu was hurting a guy like Higgins because of this same type of reason but the opposite (Higgins needs to play at top speed and Koivu can't do that anymore).

I really like the Koivu, Gui and Ryder line because they seem to mesh pretty well. Gui can clear out space for Ryder and Koivu can distribute the puck to either of them.

Little Nilan 03-18-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 13150934)
I think Koivu and Gui work together because they play at the same type of speed. I also believe that Koivu was hurting a guy like Higgins because of this same type of reason but the opposite (Higgins needs to play at top speed and Koivu can't do that anymore).

:rant: