HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Playing the puck as a goaltender (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=495241)

Oil_Magic 03-22-2008 09:09 PM

Playing the puck as a goaltender

I am awful at it and need help in a bad way.
Anyone have any tips on how to get better and technique?
I can sometimes flick the puck up high but cannot really get much power or distance

thanks

Harv 03-22-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oil_Magic (Post 13225200)
I am awful at it and need help in a bad way.
Anyone have any tips on how to get better and technique?
I can sometimes flick the puck up high but cannot really get much power or distance

thanks

Few things..

What do you shoot? Left or right handed? If your glove is on your left hand, you shoot left. Glove on right hand, shoot right.

What do you shoot naturally? If you picked up a regular hockey stick, would you be a left or right handed shot?

GTender 03-22-2008 09:58 PM

Try shooting the puck without your catching glove on. Once you have the technique then put the glove back on and practice. If that doesn't help, try using a regular stick until you have the technique, then use the goal stick and practice.

Oil_Magic 03-22-2008 11:46 PM

Thanks
I catch with my left and shoot lefty
I have a pretty good one handed back hand swat but that is about it

Harv 03-22-2008 11:54 PM

So your a natural left handed shooter?

JannikAtTheDisco 03-23-2008 03:33 AM

Ask Roberto Luongo and....oh wait...:sarcasm:

ashleesimpson<3* 03-23-2008 10:37 AM

What I did, was i took a regular stick and regular gloves, once I was happy with my accuracy and strength i switched too using my goaltending gloves on a regular stick, once i was happy i took out the regular gloves used them on my goalie stick and now im using my goalie equipment on my goalie stick

MikeD 03-23-2008 02:00 PM

CSN used a very good way to develope the skill. The body mechanics are much the same as for the out player so why not start there and slowly transfer that to the goal equipment. It might take a bit longer but it sure seems like it would remove a lot of the frustration.

There are basically two conventions of thought on stick play methods. One normal and the other with an inverted glove hand(turco). you can search out more using the term "Marty Turco Goalie Playing the Puck.mpg" . I know there was a good topic on this at agoalie specfic forum back around 2006 . Turco Shooting style might be a key search term to find the archive.

Below is a link to a video that about the 7 minute mark in shows some shooting works that might help you. the one thing I do not like about the demo goalies method is a lack of getting the full power into the shot. By staying on both feet rather than getting a full plant on the inside foot and lifting the outside, he loses power. Of course, if full power isnt needed then neither is the leg lift. Note how the shot starts with the puck at the heel of the blade, blade face turned upward partially into the shot to get the puck rolling up onto the blade. The top hand wrist turn/ snap and follow through are also very important In any case the co-ordination video as a whole will help you bring your play up.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/fi...it.php?lid=269

Edit: video is decent enough res to use full screen mode in windows media player.

Harv 03-23-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 13233456)
There are basically two conventions of thought on stick play methods. One normal and the other with an inverted glove hand(turco). you can search out more using the term "Marty Turco Goalie Playing the Puck.mpg" . I know there was a good topic on this at agoalie specfic forum back around 2006 . Turco Shooting style might be a key search term to find the archive.

Awesome video!

I must admit I'm not a fan of the inverted hand shooting method. Purely because of the amount of stress put on the shaft of the goal stick. I can't be buying a dozen sticks a year because I keep cracking the shaft of it. While the normal method of shooting still puts stress on the shaft, it isn't nearly as much. I noticed with the Turco style, that you must press down to flex the stick, then unload it while following through. While the normal method is more concentrated on scooping the puck and lauching it while following through with the shot.

Another reason I prefer the normal method is because you can control the stick more. With the Turco method, the bottom hand is just their as a guide, rather than to control it. You can cup the shaft and control it more like a normal stick incase you are in a tough situation where you have to stick handle the puck with the normal method. Granted if you using the Turco method, it only takes a second to flip it over, but that second could make or break the play. Not really a risk I like to take, because I play the puck as much as possible.

But thank you for the video!

deanosaur 03-23-2008 06:29 PM

keep your head up just in case

DevsFan84 03-23-2008 11:11 PM

I have the same problem, in terms of not being able to play the puck very well. Now that its a little warmer around here, I got myself a piece of synthetic ice (you can get it anywhere) and a bag of pucks. I put on my glove and blocker and just shoot. I'm starting to get better and its cheap as well

MikeD 03-24-2008 05:27 PM

I agree with you, Harv. I simply cant do the Turco inverted thing. Some goalies love it....might as well mention both and the individual goalie can decide. Like all things goaltending related, that personal preference thing rears its ugly head. lol

Devsfan, wasnt it Brodeur who said he shoots at least 100 pucks every day? I think in all his interveiws when asked about his secret to shooting he states PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

MikeD 03-24-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deangamblin (Post 13236122)
keep your head up just in case

Why worry. We can drop our head, keeping an eye open and let fools who would hit a goalie take that penalty. I do not know why you seem to have this notion that goalies are fair game but they are NOT. Me thinks you talk much smack and when it all boils down....its just that...TALK!

you just made my ignore list. you have the honor of being the first. Ahhhh so much better. Added you and none of your posts display....its a wonderful thing.

Randall Ritchey 03-24-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 13248331)
Why worry. We can drop our head, keeping an eye open and let fools who would hit a goalie take that penalty. I do not know why you seem to have this notion that goalies are fair game but they are NOT. Me thinks you talk much smack and when it all boils down....its just that...TALK!

you just made my ignore list. you have the honor of being the first. Ahhhh so much better. Added you and none of your posts display....its a wonderful thing.

agreed. if someone is dumb enough to run you over, their dumb enough to serve the penalty.

DevsFan84 03-25-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 13248266)
I agree with you, Harv. I simply cant do the Turco inverted thing. Some goalies love it....might as well mention both and the individual goalie can decide. Like all things goaltending related, that personal preference thing rears its ugly head. lol

Devsfan, wasnt it Brodeur who said he shoots at least 100 pucks every day? I think in all his interveiws when asked about his secret to shooting he states PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

I'm pretty sure it was. Don't remember the exact quote but the bottom line is that you have to practice this stuff.

Goalie_Gal 03-26-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 13239578)
I have the same problem, in terms of not being able to play the puck very well. Now that its a little warmer around here, I got myself a piece of synthetic ice (you can get it anywhere) and a bag of pucks. I put on my glove and blocker and just shoot. I'm starting to get better and its cheap as well

I'm hideously bad at this as well. This is a great idea, I'll have to try it. When you say you can get a piece of synthetic ice "anywhere" what do you mean? In any hockey shop?

MikeD 03-26-2008 05:49 PM

doesnt even have to be syn ice. It can be just a piece of plywood(not particle board) dont paint it. IF you want something with a bit less friction you can glue down a piece of scrap formica to its surface(counter top material) However, with just the plywood, you will get the same affect as a baseball player who warms up with bat weights. When you hit hte ice you will have more power. A good puck catcher is an old blanket draped over a cloths line.