HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   More Don Cherry: Government to investigate Cherry's on-air comments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=49696)

tinyzombies 02-04-2004 10:07 PM

More Don Cherry: Government to investigate Cherry's on-air comments
 
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=70961

goalchenyuk 02-04-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves

thanks for the link .I didn't know about other stuff that this clown said before...poor guy ! it just say that the money can't buy a bright brain...

tinyzombies 02-04-2004 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r Boi
What did he do? Call the French Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys? Cherry just does that because it makes him more money. He attracts the car wreck crowd, everyone tunes in to see if this will be the time he goes over the top.

Might be funny to you, but I'm sure there are plenty of French guys out there that want to kick his fat, old ass.

grapeshine 02-05-2004 03:58 AM

This is far from being the worst thing to come out of Cherry's mouth. A little ridiculous if you ask me. Certainly our tax dollars could be put to better use.

#44_delivers 02-05-2004 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapeshine
This is far from being the worst thing to come out of Cherry's mouth. A little ridiculous if you ask me. Certainly our tax dollars could be put to better use.

thats exactly what i think.

GhostOfTheForum 02-05-2004 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r Boi
What did he do? Call the French Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys? Cherry just does that because it makes him more money. He attracts the car wreck crowd, everyone tunes in to see if this will be the time he goes over the top.

where do you draw the line?

if they let DC get away with racist remarks on CBC during a hockey game then you know someone is going to go one step further and it is going to keep going until someone stops it

it is not just an insult to our multi-cultural society but also a spark to restart ill feelings between the different cultures

you don't have to insult someone's heritage to discuss hockey, there are plenty of issues concerning hockey atm

the CBA, just for an example

if this would have been one slip of the tongue then ok, all he has to do is apologize but it is not

add to it Ron McLean's immersion joke and it has gone too far

you may not find this whole thing enough to bother with but believe me, alot of people are offended and are tired enough of the slurs to finally say

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

mcphee 02-05-2004 06:54 AM

Investigate what ? it isn't against the law to be ignorant. Put him in a forum where he has to answer for his opinions. No, he wouldn't do that. Do what TSN does and have a counterpoint . I don't believe in the US way of firing the controversial. They knew what they were getting when they hired Limbaugh, as did the CBC when they signed his last contract. The irony is that they re-signed this coward because they were afraid of public opinion, and now are trying to figure how to get rid of him because they are afraid of public opinion. Fear being the operative term, as the CBC are showing it by not knowing what to do, and Cherry for being afraid of anyone different from him. The French Canadian culture is a proud one and does not need Cherry's validation. The continent of Europe did just fine before Cherry came on the scene. At the Montreal comedy fest every summer, it seems that half the US standups are taking shots at the French [be it France or otherwise] Let the CBC present coach's corner as a comedy skit, which in effect it is. Fire him,don't fire him, in the end I don't care. I worry more about anyone who listens to him to influence their philosophy.

BLONG7 02-05-2004 07:11 AM

More often than not, Don Cherry comes off like an idiot! He is and always will be a redneck idiot! But it seems that's what sells and he loves it and himself of course. I usually disagree with most of what he says, and obviously when he is bashing French, europeans, and whatever flavour of the month he doesn't like. He is an embarassment to himself and doesn't even realize it... laugh at him guys, laugh at him and not with him! CBC will probably not renew his contract for next year and then maybe they will get someone in there with some intelligence to go with their hockey experience and candor.

GhostOfTheForum 02-05-2004 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
More often than not, Don Cherry comes off like an idiot! He is and always will be a redneck idiot! But it seems that's what sells and he loves it and himself of course. I usually disagree with most of what he says, and obviously when he is bashing French, europeans, and whatever flavour of the month he doesn't like. He is an embarassment to himself and doesn't even realize it... laugh at him guys, laugh at him and not with him! CBC will probably not renew his contract for next year and then maybe they will get someone in there with some intelligence to go with their hockey experience and candor.

yeah?
then trade him and kelly's spots so the younger kids don't watch Coaches Corner and think if it is alright for him to say that then we can too

cause he is always saying...now, listen up kids

so you want him to be any kind of role model?

just think if no one complained how much worse he would get

All-Star 02-05-2004 07:34 AM

Personally I couldn't care less about his anti-French comments (I am French). What I do care about though is the fact that he went on the air and more or less said only sissies wear visors. What kind of damage will that do to kids who watch the show? They wear visors when they play; does that make them sissies? Alot of kids look up to this guy. Most of them are to young to realize Don is an idiot. That is where the real damage was done.

GhostOfTheForum 02-05-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star
Personally I couldn't care less about his anti-French comments (I am French). What I do care about though is the fact that he went on the air and more or less said only sissies wear visors. What kind of damage will that do to kids who watch the show? They wear visors when they play; does that make them sissies? Alot of kids look up to this guy. Most of them are to young to realize Don is an idiot. That is where the real damage was done.

my point exactly

I see CBC told him to stick to talking about hockey

loveshack2 02-05-2004 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapeshine
A little ridiculous if you ask me. Certainly our tax dollars could be put to better use.

Amen to that.

HABitude 02-05-2004 09:33 AM

:teach: The fact is:
Cherry is a big influence over kids.
His comments are racist, simple and stupid.
Cherry has build over the years a character, he has become a caricature of himself, like an old fat Elvis.
The title is “Coach's Corner”, what a big lie if you ask me! He was outcoach in his coach career by the Habs Canadiens in the '70's. Lafleur and his french teamates beat his team many times. He say euro players are not good enough for the NHL, another lie: look at the stats since the last 10 years, euro players dominate.

His racist comments and low-knowlage of hockey have been on the air for too long. Time to leave for Mr. Cherry. Beu-bye!
Bring a real hockey expert with class and knowlage: bring Scotty Bowman. :bow:
Then the title Coach's Corner would mean something!

mcphee 02-05-2004 09:48 AM

Habitude that's a pretty good idea. Whenever I hear Bowman on radio or TV, he's very candid and thoughtful. I would say that he has the best feel of the game of anyone out there. If they have to have an in studio presence, Hrudey would be fine and they could do a remote thing with Bowman.

BLONG7 02-05-2004 09:51 AM

Bowman... Excellent idea! :bow:

All-Star 02-05-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABitude
Bring a real hockey expert with class and knowlage: bring Scotty Bowman. :bow:
Then the title Coach's Corner would mean something!

For about 5 years or so, then Scotty would become a caricature of himself also. Give anyone an open forum to state their opinion and they'll eventually end up making idiots of themselves. It's like the old saying: "Give a man enough rope, and he'll end up hanging himself". They should reformat Coaches' Corner so that they rotate four or five ex-coaches a season.

GhostOfTheForum 02-05-2004 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star
For about 5 years or so, then Scotty would become a caricature of himself also. Give anyone an open forum to state their opinion and they'll eventually end up making idiots of themselves. It's like the old saying: "Give a man enough rope, and he'll end up hanging himself". They should reformat Coaches' Corner so that they rotate four or five ex-coaches a season.

good idea
what if we take it further
rotate coaches from different teams so it wouldn't always be biased

HABitude 02-05-2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star
For about 5 years or so, then Scotty would become a caricature of himself also. Give anyone an open forum to state their opinion and they'll eventually end up making idiots of themselves. It's like the old saying: "Give a man enough rope, and he'll end up hanging himself". They should reformat Coaches' Corner so that they rotate four or five ex-coaches a season.

Maybe you're right but I doubt it. Bowman is like a god for me, and for many others too. He is very clever and not closed to different cultures. He really knows hockey and he's bilingual.

You're right about changing the format of the show, if they throw out Cherry they should reformat the show and have dialogues between 2 hockey experts like Hrudy-Bowman, Bowman-Demers, even a special with Bowman-Lafleur for one night, why not?
:yo:

GhostOfTheForum 02-05-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABitude
Maybe you're right but I doubt it. Bowman is like a god for me, and for many others too. He is very clever and not closed to different cultures. He really knows hockey and he's bilingual.

You're right about changing the format of the show, if they throw out Cherry they should reformat the show and have dialogues between 2 hockey experts like Hrudy-Bowman, Bowman-Demers, even a special with Bowman-Lafleur for one night, why not?
:yo:

hey, great idea

Coaches Corner with a couple of coaches discussing hockey

Guy Caballero 02-05-2004 10:24 AM

Bowman...what a great idea. That would be a real coach's corner, and he's a pretty well-spoken guy, to boot.

Cherry and Maclean should both be put out to pasture. They spend far too little time talking about what's happening on the ice and too much time on feel-good stories from rural Canada and NHL controversies that have already been talked to death. I'll take McGuire's analysis and Mackenzie's real insider knowledge any day.

Bowman replacing Cherry would be ironic as well, since it would be the second time he put him out of a job. :D

RE-HABS 02-05-2004 11:31 AM

Don Cherry's attitude, outlook and knowledge of the game is something like his wardrobe...it's lost in the 70's. Cherry has not progressed with the change in hockey and his views and antics are tiresome to the average viewer.

Time for Don to step aside and into the 21st century to see hockey has evolved and changed a lot since he coached in the NHL and played in th AHL. Tough guy imagery and goon mentality isn't a part of the game anymore...plus it isn't just a Canadian game anymore.

Gros Bill 02-05-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
...
Bowman replacing Cherry would be ironic as well, since it would be the second time he put him out of a job. :D

:lol: Low blow, but I love it !


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.