HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   In a bit of a rut here... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=497183)

JohnnyBoychuk55 03-27-2008 08:27 PM

In a bit of a rut here...

Well, I started ice skating for about a year and a half and have been doing clinics/pick up games for about a year. The past week or so, I've been in a rut and my skating has really hit an all time low. It's almost like I lost that feeling a bit. But, the weird thing is, my shot is at its all time high. I got some nice lift and power behind my wristers but all else looks so bad. My parents and my coach says I'm being hard on myself, but I know I haven't been skating the same for the past week or so...

Like I will lose my edges when I am not supposed and similar things like that.

Any tips.?

Gallick 03-27-2008 08:38 PM

Have you gotten your skates sharpened recently? :)

JohnnyBoychuk55 03-27-2008 08:47 PM

I have on saturday, and even though I am not the smoothest,flashiest, or fastest plasyer out there, I have been skating as bad as Trent Hunter lately:amazed:

BuddehJuS 03-27-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 (Post 13307412)
I have on saturday, and even though I am not the smoothest,flashiest, or fastest plasyer out there, I have been skating as bad as Trent Hunter lately:amazed:

I don't know if you stretch before you skate or not but for me it plays a major impact on how i will skate. If I don't I'm in trouble, but if I do, I feel great on the ice and I can really get some bendage going. I'd try it, get those legs loose.

deanosaur 03-27-2008 09:25 PM

go get the sharpened at a real reliable sharpener.
dont go just go anywhere that says sharpening and get them done.
stretch and sharpen by a good sharpener.
youd be suprised how much of a difference the sharpening of your skates will do.

xdcx 03-28-2008 07:31 AM

Everyone I know including myself goes through bad spells. Just the other month I played terrible and I think its the worst I had ever played, even worse than when I first started playing! But people re-assured me and a few weeks later I was back into the swing of things and playing as good as/if not better than previously. So yeah, everyone goes through little spells, you can't expect to play at the top of your game 100% of the time.

But also, if you feel you are losing your edges it might be worth taking some advice from the other guys and get your skates shaprened good. :)

WhipNash27 03-28-2008 10:25 AM

Maybe take powerskating lessons? If your form is the problem, that'll really put your skating in top gear.

LilWinger11 03-28-2008 05:54 PM

Go to a public session at the rink and spend some time just skating, without worrying about the stick and the puck. Work on basic things like stops and starts, crossovers and quick changes of direction. The more natural that stuff is, the less you'll need to think about it when you're playing.

MikeD 03-28-2008 06:03 PM

Do you actually inspect your grind? Are the edges even? Is the rocker placed well? Is this a new location or person doing your grind? Its one thing to lose a step, be a tad slow or lazy and such but this just sounds like you have a bad grind.

Also, what are the ice conditions. Many locations saw warmer temps as spring is approaching. Any condensation on the glass around the rink thats unusual? Could just be ice conditions throwing you off and your letting it get in your head.

deanosaur 03-28-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 13322375)
Do you actually inspect your grind? Are the edges even? Is the rocker placed well? Is this a new location or person doing your grind? Its one thing to lose a step, be a tad slow or lazy and such but this just sounds like you have a bad grind.

Also, what are the ice conditions. Many locations saw warmer temps as spring is approaching. Any condensation on the glass around the rink thats unusual? Could just be ice conditions throwing you off and your letting it get in your head.

ice conditions right i forgot about that.
the guy that sharpens my skates asks me first my next gew games ill be playing at to sharpen my to suit the arena best.
warmer arenas-dont get them sharpened as sharp as you would
colder arenas-a tad bit sharper

Karl with a C 03-29-2008 01:50 AM

This sounds eerily familliar - I suspect you might be getting sick and are unable to generate the amount of power you're used to through your legs. Otherwise it's almost certainly mental. Mind over matter, buddy.