HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   It's Over Folks! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=49945)

Hockey Mojo 02-05-2004 10:11 PM

It's Over Folks!

After tonights butt whipping by the Flyers there's no real chance in hell the Thrashers will it to the playoffs this season. Tonights game was the most despicable display of hockey I have ever seen by a hockey team at the NHL level! The season started out so well and now it's a total disaster. Horrible, Horrible Hockey played by the Thrashers. :madfire:

heat_15 02-05-2004 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
After tonights butt whipping by the Flyers there's no real chance in hell the Thrashers will it to the playoffs this season. Tonights game was the most despicable display of hockey I have ever seen by a hockey team at the NHL level! The season started out so well and now it's a total disaster. Horrible, Horrible Hockey played by the Thrashers. :madfire:

Agreed. No one on this team deserves playoff action. Then again, they ALL look like they want to collect a paycheck and go home before spring sets in. Don Waddell thought he was creating the next Red Wings. Instead, he's created another NY Rangers!

Peter Sidorkiewicz 02-05-2004 11:49 PM

I agree it is all over but I'm not too upset about our poor form to end the season. Clearly injuries has played a big part of our downfall as we simply don't have the depth of a playoff team. Heck many fans were worried about how Waddell is going to put together a team for opening night after the accident. When you have to rely players selected from the waiver draft, career AHLers and minor UFA signings to fill the void of a Heatley, Snyder, Savard, Sutton all that have missed a majority of the season and all that play big roles on the team, anyone will tell you that the team will struggle. Also heading into opening week of the season without a capable third line was not a smart move!

Clearly our blueline needs an overhaul. We need new personnel and we should target players who have experience and are durable!. It seems every game the thrashers have a d-man out due to injury. Hopefully by the start of the off season the ownership of the team will be settled and DW will get some funds to rebuild the blueline and also to possibly add another scoring threat. Patrik Stefan's play this season has convinced me that he will never reach his offensive potential so I believe we should make him our 3rd line shut down center or trade bait. I am also not worried about goalie situation either considering Lehtonen is having a fine season in AHL and Nurminen has proven is capable 'tender despite some bad games now and then. Dafoe won't be back but I'm hopeful Hurme can make a full recovery from back ailment and contribute to the team. 2005 will be the year of the thrashers with an all star game and first ever playoff position to look for - that is of course if it isn't a lockout :D .

SwisshockeyAcademy 02-06-2004 12:39 AM

I see too many positives with this organization to be upset with it. The foundation has been laid and its going to be good around here next year.

fighterflea1* 02-06-2004 12:54 AM

SwisshockeyAcademy]I see too many positives with this organization to be upset with it. The foundation has been laid and its going to be good around here next year.

Didn't watch the game but Thrashers announcers (I'm a Flyer fan so I like to hear what announcers from other teams have to say about my team) indicated most of the Thrashers took the night off.

Here's another take. The Flyers were giving a second career start to Antero Nittymaki in the goal. I know that the Flyers were keen on giving him a lot of support in his initial start against the Caps but we all assumed he'd get his first real test in this game since Atlanta has so much offense.

Did the Thrashers just blow off the night or does Nittymaki look like the real deal?

SwisshockeyAcademy 02-06-2004 01:01 AM

This was not a good effort from atlanta. It will be interesting to see how Nittymaki fairs against top competition. A Flyer goalie has to be able to stay focused, as the shots against are not many but usually have some quality to them. He will have to make the big save , much like all goalies. Nice start and we will see how he handles adversity.

cws 02-06-2004 04:27 AM

Why is it that I have to go outside form and be one of the more optomistic of the group?

Yes, we are playing badly right now. And unless we come together and absolutely kick tail on this big road trip, the playoffs are gone. But given the injuries, both those out of the lineup and those playing injured, that road will be a hard one. That's the reality, can't escape it.

I'll be disappointed about missing the postseason if that is the case, as will all of us. But I still like the way this team looks. Offense we have. Goaltending we have and it will get better. Defense needs work obviously; a veteran stalwart we need in addition to Coburn for the future. Some doubt the coaching of Hartley, but I like his hard-nosed attitude; think it's good for the players in the long run. While criticised, the front office has done well; not sacrificing any of the future when it would have been so easy to do so for present gains. But I think that little topic could be debated either way, so I'll back off of it for now.

Not to sound all cheerleader-like, but let's just keep supporting the boys. Hoping for the best. Venting frustrations at their shi**y play, needed for many of us. But don't give up the hope, I sure as hell won't.

dunwoody_joe 02-06-2004 05:52 AM

Disappointed!

I agree that the playoffs are a very distant possibility but I agree that the future looks bright--tonights effort not withstanding.

We need defensemen! We need a 2nd line centerman for Ilya! We need better goaltending! Did I mention that we need solid defenseman?

My biggest worry out of last night's game was the Hartley/Ilya situation. We'll see how it plays out.

Let's start thinking about next year. :cry:

Hockey Mojo 02-06-2004 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe

Disappointed!

Let's start thinking about next year. :cry:

First, will there be a next year? Second, the Thrashers have the tools to get the job done , but just don't know how to use them. Waddell's number #1 priority during the off season was DEFENSE, so where is it? Trading a second round pick for Majesky. Aquiring Kloucek and Grand-Pierre during the season seem to be good aqusitions, but haven't filled the holes that the defense needs. Our goaltenders of the future are our only bright spot. Presently, both Pasi and Defoe are not making any great impressions on me or anyone else. Waddell needs to restate his building a franchise plan to the 8 Year Plan.

btn 02-06-2004 10:02 AM

A bad night, but the playoff hunt is not over yet.

However, if they have a bad road trip after the All Star break it will be.

Av-merican 02-06-2004 10:33 AM

I'm confident once Heatley rounds into form this Thrashers team will stay close in the playoff hunt.

Thrashd00d 02-06-2004 12:08 PM

Do you all realize how many games they would have to win out of the last 26 to make the playoffs? They will have to win 19-20 to have a chance unless every team below the 7th seed takes a nose dive. It will take 86-90 points to make it. That is 18 - 20 wins. Now do you think going down the stretch that we can do this?

I highly doubt it. It would be on the level of the 1980 US Olympic team's miracle. And now with Ilya getting benched, and from what I hear from practice yesterday, he also had an altercation of some sort with I believe Savard and blew up and left the facility, I don't see this team winning more than 10 more games this season.

I hate it and have watched this team from day 1 in '99, but I just don't see us making it until we can get a true #1 defenseman, another top 4 defenseman, another top 2 center and a Goaltender that can step up when needed. Lehtonen may be just that goaltender, we have no center in the minors that will be considered a top 2 for quite some time( maybe Slater but I'm not sold) and we sure don't have any top Defenseman. XLB is good but has a long way to go. Sutton could be a top four in another year MAYBE, and that is it. Coburn is more of an offensive Defensman from what I have read.

And another thing, as long as Ilya see's fit to decide he needs to try anything he can (while in the lead) to score a goal, we will continue to have problems just like we did last night against the Phlyers. Get a clue Ilya, listen to your coach, he's a good one!

HughJass* 02-06-2004 12:57 PM

As much as it kills me to say this:

Don't give up hope. All it takes is a trade for top 4 veteran defensemen or two plus Heatley catching fire to over take Tampa. Tampa isn't out of reach, and they are prone to dips. Despite the horrible losing lately, don't give up on your team yet. I rather the Thrashers to take the division more than the over-rated Bolts.

Btw, I still dislike Hartley :p And Kovalchuk is another Jagr waiting to happen. Such an ego....where do these kids get them?

Hey, Av.

Vyacheslav 02-06-2004 01:02 PM

Even if the Thrashers miss the playoffs, I don't think they should look at this has a bad season. Considering the fact that most 'hockey experts' thought Atlanta would miss the playoffs before the Heatley situation happened, Thrasher fans should be proud of the way their team was able to fight through the first half of the season. The hot streak had to end at some point, and all you can do now is hope the cold streak ends.

HughJass* 02-06-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
Even if the Thrashers miss the playoffs, I don't think they should look at this has a bad season. Considering the fact that most 'hockey experts' thought Atlanta would miss the playoffs before the Heatley situation happened, Thrasher fans should be proud of the way their team was able to fight through the first half of the season. The hot streak had to end at some point, and all you can do now is hope the cold streak ends.

I actually thought it would be a dog fight between Carolina, Tampa, Washington, and Atlanta. But like the saying goes, "that's why we play the games". And the Panthers are beating Carolina and Washington in the standings. I think I will keep this bag over my head until the draft in Raleigh...

DJ Spinoza 02-06-2004 04:27 PM

What exactly happened in this game with Kovalchuk? Heard vague details about it, but no straight story.

If you guys think this is bad, you'd kill yourself if you were a Pens fan. :cry:

btn 02-07-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
If you guys think this is bad, you'd kill yourself if you were a Pens fan. :cry:

No place in the NHL has seen worse hockey over the last 5 years than Atlanta.

Vyacheslav 02-07-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn

Maybe, but you've got some nice things to look forward to.

ATLThrashers15 02-07-2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn

I would argue that Columbus is right there with us. They have such a bigger payroll too!

Hockey Mojo 02-08-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Maybe, but you've got some nice things to look foarward to.

When in year 2112?

Vyacheslav 02-08-2004 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
When in year 2112?

Do you really believe that the Thrashers won't be any good for eight more years?

dunwoody_joe 02-08-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Do you really believe that the Thrashers won't be any good for eight more years?

He means 108 years!

Vyacheslav 02-08-2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
He means 108 years!

Oops, had I read it correctly, I wouldn't have taken the time to reply.