HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Florida Panthers @ World Championships (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=502910)

Mogo 04-08-2008 02:01 PM

Florida Panthers @ World Championships

http://www.iihf.com/

IIHF World Championship in Quebec City and Halifax, Canada, May 2-18

Confirmed Florida Panthers for games

USA - David Booth, Craig Anderson
Canada - Jay Bouwmeester
Finland - Olli Jokinen, Ville Peltonen
Slovakia - Branislav Mezei
Sweden - Magnus Johansson

anyone else? I'll add them once I get word

Possibilities: Tomas Vokoun, Michal Repik, Michael Frolik, Rostislav Olesz

zeroG 04-08-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogo (Post 13532151)
http://www.iihf.com/

IIHF World Championship in Quebec City and Halifax, Canada, May 2-18

Confirmed Florida Panthers for games

USA - David Booth, Graig Anderson
Canada - Jay Bouwmeester

anyone else? I'll add them once I get word

Possibilities: Olli Jokinen, Ville Peltonen, Tomas Vokoun, Michal Repik, Michael Frolik

olesz?

anyone planning on going?

Panthers Rock 04-08-2008 04:53 PM

Heh it's "Craig". Anyway I'm very happy and surprised that Anderson got the nod, he does deserve it though. Booth getting that shot is huge, way to go man! Bouwmeester is a no brainer, likely top 4.

Jokinen says he already plans to play this year and I'm sure Olesz will get to go as well, maybe Horton too. Vokoun should also be a no brainer for the Czechs.

Once again this year for I think the 3rd or 4th year in a row I'm doing an "office" pool with my old buddies over at Disney. Used to work there and we had about 6 big hockey fans that were very knowledgeable especially about the World scene. Should be a good one.

jol 04-08-2008 05:44 PM

Finland: Jokinen and Peltonen. They will join the national team when it comes to Canada.

Source: www.jatkoaika.com

JOL

Mogo 04-09-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers Rock (Post 13535246)
Heh it's "Craig". Anyway I'm very happy and surprised that Anderson got the nod, he does deserve it though. Booth getting that shot is huge, way to go man! Bouwmeester is a no brainer, likely top 4.

Jokinen says he already plans to play this year and I'm sure Olesz will get to go as well, maybe Horton too. Vokoun should also be a no brainer for the Czechs.

Once again this year for I think the 3rd or 4th year in a row I'm doing an "office" pool with my old buddies over at Disney. Used to work there and we had about 6 big hockey fans that were very knowledgeable especially about the World scene. Should be a good one.

Graig - Craig your crazy english names :laugh:

Surprised Horton isnt on the team. Think he said no. Canada has already chosen 10 forwards

Acadmus 04-09-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogo (Post 13543313)

Surprised Horton isnt on the team. Think he said no. Canada has already chosen 10 forwards

The name "Craig" is actually Gaelic, I think, and is derived from the word "crag", which is a jutting cliff. The name means "crag dweller", so you can endlessly tease anyone you know by that name now;)

My long since passed best friend was named Craig, so I know details like these:D

Rabid Ranger 04-09-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogo (Post 13543313)

Here's the reason behind Horton's omission: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ong_expla.html

RCGP 04-09-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 13546332)
Here's the reason behind Horton's omission: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...ong_expla.html

Wow, I want Armstrong fired if he think Mayers belongs on the team over Horton.

VirtualSpree 04-09-2008 02:18 PM

That's a load of ****.

Cfan* 04-10-2008 11:19 AM

mezei is going for slovakia

I got this from a poster in another topic
http://www.hokej.sk/reprezentacia/?clanok=54166

jol 04-19-2008 10:47 PM

Vokoun is not allowed to play for Czech Republic. He has hernia problem and Panthers would like him to operate it right away, Vokoun would like to play World Championship games and then do the operation. Source www.hs.fi.
But what team could do if he goes and plays there, suspend him?

JOL

mikefavata 04-19-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCGP (Post 13549246)
Wow, I want Armstrong fired if he think Mayers belongs on the team over Horton.

Why? His point is valid. Horton's not better than Doan or St. Louis for the top 6 RW spot. And Mayer's job is penalty killing & dirty work, not exactly Horton's specialty.

Dread Clawz 04-20-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jol (Post 13759997)
Vokoun is not allowed to play for Czech Republic. He has hernia problem and Panthers would like him to operate it right away, Vokoun would like to play World Championship games and then do the operation. Source www.hs.fi.
But what team could do if he goes and plays there, suspend him?

JOL

How the heck does Vokoun think he's going to play with a hernia problem and not risk injury? :shakehead I hope the Panthers suspend him if he goes over there anyway. I don't know if that would work or not, I hope so.

PanthersRule96 04-20-2008 02:17 AM

lol If Vokoun wants to play, let him play. As if a threat from the Panthers to suspend him is going to hold any water at all. Come on.....the guy killed himself out there, injuring himself probably from the workload he face. Now he wants to play for his national team, and we'll suspend him if he does? So what if we suspend him? It's not like we're going to hold him out of games, and I don't think players get paid over summer for anything, so it's not like we're stripping him of wages either, plus he has enough. All it leads to is him being pissed off at us, which we don't want to mess with.

Let him know we want him to be healthy, but don't force him to do anything. If he makes a poor judgement call, and isn't ready for training camp, then suspend him and don't pay him, but when Vokoun has won more than we have in the last 12 years, its hard to tell him he can't do this or do that.

Elvs 04-20-2008 03:21 AM

Magnus Johansson is in for Sweden.

mikefavata 04-20-2008 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 (Post 13762183)
lol If Vokoun wants to play, let him play. As if a threat from the Panthers to suspend him is going to hold any water at all. Come on.....the guy killed himself out there, injuring himself probably from the workload he face. Now he wants to play for his national team, and we'll suspend him if he does? So what if we suspend him? It's not like we're going to hold him out of games, and I don't think players get paid over summer for anything, so it's not like we're stripping him of wages either, plus he has enough. All it leads to is him being pissed off at us, which we don't want to mess with.

Let him know we want him to be healthy, but don't force him to do anything. If he makes a poor judgement call, and isn't ready for training camp, then suspend him and don't pay him, but when Vokoun has won more than we have in the last 12 years, its hard to tell him he can't do this or do that.

Well said.

Dread Clawz 04-20-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 (Post 13762183)

You seem perfectly fine with letting our star goalie risk serious injury. I'm not so nonchalant about it. He supposedly has this hernia problem now which is why he left the last Carolina game early, and now he's going to try to play in the WC's? I just don't like it at all. That's just asking to really aggravate that injury even more, it's actually kind of dumb if you ask me. I know he wants to represent his country, but come on. Unless it's not that serious, but if it wasn't, then the Panthers might be OK with him playing. So he gets pissed off, so what? He'll get over it. And if by some chance he doesn't, then I'm sure we'll get a good return for him and we have Anderson as a worst case scenario. It's better than him getting seriously injured and then possibly never returning to form.

pb1300 04-20-2008 03:09 PM

If you guys go to the Panthers website, they have video about our guys playing in the Worlds. Bouw, Andy, Olli, Johannson, and Pelts are all practicing at incredible ice together, with Olli's coach from Finland. Booth will be joining them too.

pb1300 04-20-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 13766361)
You seem perfectly fine with letting our star goalie risk serious injury. I'm not so nonchalant about it. He supposedly has this hernia problem now which is why he left the last Carolina game early, and now he's going to try to play in the WC's? I just don't like it at all. That's just asking to really aggravate that injury even more, it's actually kind of dumb if you ask me. I know he wants to represent his country, but come on. Unless it's not that serious, but if it wasn't, then the Panthers might be OK with him playing. So he gets pissed off, so what? He'll get over it. And if by some chance he doesn't, then I'm sure we'll get a good return for him and we have Anderson as a worst case scenario. It's better than him getting seriously injured and then possibly never returning to form.

I agree. We are talking about the Worlds, not the Olympics. Besides, a lot of the talent for these countries are still in the playoffs. I think he played a lot this season, needs to repaired and healthy for next season.

PanthersRule96 04-20-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 13766361)

I'm not okay with risking injury, but he knows his limits. If he believes he can play, then let him do it. He should be able to know if it's too much of a risk or not anyways, especially if he consults with some doctors.

You say let him get mad, he'll get over it.......Luongo got mad (Keenan), and now he's in Vancouver. Vokoun is already pissed off that we suck, even with him playing phenomenally most of the season. If we block his attempt to do something he feels he can and wants to do, he'll be even more upset. When you sacrificed so many assets on acquiring him, obviously you don't want him hurt, but also, you want to keep him happy. The last thing I want to see is for him to demand a trade. I'm sure he's loving watching Nashville in the playoffs right now, with Dan Ellis, of all people, in goal. Surely he's thinking that could easily be him in the playoffs.

Dread Clawz 04-20-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 (Post 13768085)
I'm not okay with risking injury, but he knows his limits. If he believes he can play, then let him do it. He should be able to know if it's too much of a risk or not anyways, especially if he consults with some doctors.

You say let him get mad, he'll get over it.......Luongo got mad (Keenan), and now he's in Vancouver. Vokoun is already pissed off that we suck, even with him playing phenomenally most of the season. If we block his attempt to do something he feels he can and wants to do, he'll be even more upset. When you sacrificed so many assets on acquiring him, obviously you don't want him hurt, but also, you want to keep him happy. The last thing I want to see is for him to demand a trade. I'm sure he's loving watching Nashville in the playoffs right now, with Dan Ellis, of all people, in goal. Surely he's thinking that could easily be him in the playoffs.

He's an athlete. He might think he can play and is probably very hungry to do so, but it's still not a smart move. Like you said, I don't think there's any way we can stop him, but if there were I'd like the Panthers to do it. Even if it's not serious enough where he has to stay out of action, and doctors confirm it, it's still not a smart move. What Keenan did to Luongo and what the Panthers would be doing to stop Vokoun from playing cannot compare. I seriously doubt he'd hold a long grudge over that. And like I said, if by some chance he does, then we can still trade him for a nice return, with another goalie as part of the deal, or something else and we still have Anderson who with some more experience might be able to become a Dan Ellis type. But I doubt it would come to that, I mean come on. He's not going to demand a trade because we won't let him play in the WC's. I'm sure he's not thrilled about being on a non-playoff team for the first time in four years, but I don't think he's on the edge waiting to snap either. He might be a little upset at first, but he'll survive. It's much better than having him possibly get seriously injured, miss a big chunk of the season, have us miss the playoffs again, and maybe even him not ever returning to his previous form. A hernia problem isn't something you want to mess with, trust me. My sister had problems with that when she was younger and at the time of her operation, she could barely walk. She's fine now, and obviously there are varying degrees of hernia problems, but still it's not something you want to be fooling with. The Panthers have a legitimate right to be very concerned even if it's perceived minor.

jol 04-21-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 13771320)
He's an athlete. He might think he can play and is probably very hungry to do so, but it's still not a smart move. Like you said, I don't think there's any way we can stop him, but if there were I'd like the Panthers to do it. Even if it's not serious enough where he has to stay out of action, and doctors confirm it, it's still not a smart move. What Keenan did to Luongo and what the Panthers would be doing to stop Vokoun from playing cannot compare. I seriously doubt he'd hold a long grudge over that. And like I said, if by some chance he does, then we can still trade him for a nice return, with another goalie as part of the deal, or something else and we still have Anderson who with some more experience might be able to become a Dan Ellis type. But I doubt it would come to that, I mean come on. He's not going to demand a trade because we won't let him play in the WC's. I'm sure he's not thrilled about being on a non-playoff team for the first time in four years, but I don't think he's on the edge waiting to snap either. He might be a little upset at first, but he'll survive. It's much better than having him possibly get seriously injured, miss a big chunk of the season, have us miss the playoffs again, and maybe even him not ever returning to his previous form. A hernia problem isn't something you want to mess with, trust me. My sister had problems with that when she was younger and at the time of her operation, she could barely walk. She's fine now, and obviously there are varying degrees of hernia problems, but still it's not something you want to be fooling with. The Panthers have a legitimate right to be very concerned even if it's perceived minor.

But I'm very sure that he would have played in playoffs, hernia operation would have waited.

JOL

RCGP 04-21-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindeadalive (Post 13760737)
Why? His point is valid. Horton's not better than Doan or St. Louis for the top 6 RW spot. And Mayer's job is penalty killing & dirty work, not exactly Horton's specialty.

Team Canada always does crap like this. They "punish" guys for stuff in the past that annoyed them because they know they have enough talent to fill the roster. They are upset with Horton for snubbing the tournament last season and for breaking procedure with the WJC (although Horton got hurt before that became an issue). They did the same with Kyle Beach for his negative comments towards Hockey Canada by not selecting him for WJC camp.

Dread Clawz 04-22-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jol (Post 13777185)
But I'm very sure that he would have played in playoffs, hernia operation would have waited.

JOL

Idk. He left the second to last game of the season midway through the game because of an undisclosed injury, which I would assume is this one, and that's the last he played. Maybe it's less severe now, but he might have missed the first few games of the playoffs had we got in. Maybe he would not even have played, maybe they just would have let Anderson play. But, still the playoffs is much different than the World Championships.

Dread Clawz 04-22-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCGP (Post 13784261)
Team Canada always does crap like this. They "punish" guys for stuff in the past that annoyed them because they know they have enough talent to fill the roster. They are upset with Horton for snubbing the tournament last season and for breaking procedure with the WJC (although Horton got hurt before that became an issue). They did the same with Kyle Beach for his negative comments towards Hockey Canada by not selecting him for WJC camp.

Yeah, this is the real reason. U.S. Hockey is very political too. They snubbed Josh Unice for the WJC this year because he decided to play in the OHL this year. He was clearly the best goalie available.