HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ovechkin's #1s this season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=503252)

LannysStach 04-09-2008 07:02 AM

Ovechkin's #1s this season

I assembled this for my puckhead buds, just thought I'd share if anyone might enjoy it. There hasn't been a player like this in the NHL since Mario in his prime, and only a small handful in all the sport's history.

Ovechkin's #1s this season:

The most points in the league (112) -- and winner of the Art Ross Trophy.

Most goals in the league (65) -- winner of the Rocket Richard Trophy.

Most goals in a season by a Left-Winger in NHL history -- 65.

The first player in 12 years to score over 60 goals.

He led his team from dead-last / 15th place in his conference on Dec. 30th to 3rd place by season's end. The first team in NHL history to be in last place at the midway point of the season to then win their Division -- just 3 months from the deepest hole to the top of the heap.

Led the NHL in points in the last month of the season -- the final playoff push for all teams & players -- with 31 points; and had 10 multi-point games in his final 16.

Led the NHL in power-play goals (22).

Led the NHL in even-strength goals (41).

Led the NHL in game-winning goals (11).

Led the NHL in lead-changing goals (30).

Led the NHL in multi-goal games (13).

Led the NHL in 4-goal games (2).

Led the NHL in "late-game pressure goals" with 29 (defined by the league as overtime or third period goals when the score differential is 2 or less goals). And naturally led the league in late-game pressure points as well with 44.

Led the league in game-winning goals in the third period (5).

Led the league in third period goals overall (26).

Led the league in opening period goals (17).

Led the league in shots (441) and shots-per-game (5.3). This is the second most shots ever taken by a player in the history of the NHL. Only Phil Esposito had more -- once. (Since coming into the league, he has more 10-or-more shots in a game (18) than the next 4 players combined.)

As Dr. Phil put it recently: "Alex is going to get over 550 shots in a season, and when he does he's going to score 85 or 90 goals. They say Gretzky’s [goal] record is not going to be broken. Well, when I got 76, they said ‘Nobody will ever get 77.’ Records are made to be broken. And Ovie shoots enough that he is going to do that. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy as physical as he is that scores like he does. He’s playing smarter now, and he’s just getting better and better and better."

And he's 22 years old.

And over his first 3 seasons he's only missed a single game.

(How do you say, "Yikes!" in Russian?)

And along with all of the above, out of the 955 players in the league this season ...

only 10 threw more bodychecks than he did;

only 8 had more takeaways from other players;

only 5 had a better plus/minus! (and this on a team that was dead-last for half the season);

and only 1 had more hat-tricks.

and did i mention he's only 22?

What a year for this kid. He deserves a standing - :handclap:

Corto 04-09-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LannysStach (Post 13543861)

Led the NHL in even-strength goals (75).

Led the NHL in hat tricks (3), and in 4-goal games with 2.

The ES goals is a typo, not gonna give you any hard time over that...

... but Thomas Vanek led the NHL with 4 hat-tricks.

SpinTheBlackCircle 04-09-2008 07:38 AM

not a playoff related thread...moved to NHL forum

LannysStach 04-09-2008 07:38 AM

thanks, corto! i knew i could count on HFers catchin anything that wasn't right.

and btw, all the numbers are from NHL.com or the Caps site or newspapers.

i made the corrections, and cited Vanek cuz he's such a damn fine player and deserves all the recognition he get.

Muscle Bob 04-09-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LannysStach (Post 13543861)
I assembled this for my puckhead buds, just thought I'd share if anyone might enjoy it. There hasn't been a player like this in the NHL since Mario in his prime, and only a small handful in all the sport's history.

Ovechkin's #1s this season:

The most points in the league (112) -- and winner of the Art Ross Trophy.

Most goals in the league (65) -- winner of the Rocket Richard Trophy.

Most goals in a season by a Left-Winger in NHL history -- 65.

The first player in 12 years to score over 60 goals.

He led his team from dead-last / 15th place in his conference on Dec. 30th to 3rd place by season's end. The first team in NHL history to be in last place at the midway point of the season to then win their Division -- just 3 months from the deepest hole to the top of the heap.

Led the NHL in points in the last month of the season -- the final playoff push for all teams & players -- with 31 points; and had 10 multi-point games in his final 16.

Led the NHL in even-strength goals (41).

Led the NHL in game-winning goals (11).

Led the NHL in lead-changing goals (30).

Led the NHL in multi-goal games (12).

Led the NHL in 4-goal games with 2.

Led the NHL in late-game pressure goals with 29 (defined by the league as third period or overtime goals when the score differential is 2 or less goals).

Similarly, led the league in late-game pressure points, with 44.

Led the league in game-winning goals in the third period (5).

Led the league in third period goals overall (26).

Also led the league in opening period goals (17).

Led the NHL in shots (441), and shots-per-game (14.2). This is the second most shots ever taken by a player in the history of the NHL. Only Phil Esposito had more -- once.

As Dr. Phil put it: "Alex is going to get over 550 shots in a season, and when he does he's going to score 85 or 90 goals. They say Gretzky’s [goal] record is not going to be broken. Well, when I got 76, they said ‘Nobody will ever get 77.’ Records are made to be broken. And Ovie shoots enough that he is going to do that. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy as physical as he is that scores like he does. He’s playing smarter now, and he’s just getting better and better and better."

And he's 22 years old.

And along with all of the above, out of the 955 players in the league this season ...

only 5 had a better plus/minus! (and this on a team that was dead-last for half the season);

and only 1 player had more hat-tricks. (Buffalo's Thomas Vanek)

and did i mention he's only 22?

What a year for this kid. He deserves a standing :handclap:

Crosby this season: was injured most of the season.

Conclusion: Crosby > Ovechkin.

Extra Texture 04-09-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle Bob (Post 13544084)

Your inferiority complex is beyond astounding

chi777 04-09-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

AO is the better player. Time to man up.

LannysStach 04-09-2008 07:50 AM

maybe there'll be a post like this on Crosby at the end of next year. and that would be great! have each of these guys topping the other year after year, leap-frogging Art Ross Trophies for a decade . . .

Extra Texture 04-09-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LannysStach (Post 13544127)
maybe there'll be a post like this on Crosby at the end of next year. and that would be great! have each of these guys topping the other year after year, leap-frogging Art Ross Trophies for a decade . . .

Quite possibly, but your numbers show that AO has been flat out amazing across the board this year. Sid is gonna have a major fight if he wants to reclaim any of those trophies next year because AO will have even more confidence

I cant wait to see him hit the flyers like a wrecking ball :nod:

Victory Ali* 04-09-2008 08:08 AM

Ovechkin is officially the second coming of Christ.

JFA87-66-99 04-09-2008 08:11 AM

Ovechkin is a beast and congrats to him for dominating the league. This is coming from a Pens/Crosby is better fan. No player has dominated like this since Mario Lemieux. I still think that Sidney Crosby is better but really who cares. Both of these players are unbeilavable to watch, and its a great time to be a hockey fan. This is like the 1980's all over again with Lemieux and Gretzky or Johnson,Jordan, and Bird. It's hard to beileve that Alex hits just as much as he scores. He Will be a top 5 or 10 player of All-time when his career is all said and done. And I think he will someday be regarded as the Greatest Russian player ever( maybe Malkin will be close too) better than Kharlamov.

TJT 04-09-2008 08:37 AM

shots per game works out to 5.38 for me, not 14.

Nice thread!! Alexander the Gr8!!

Biscuit Bullet 04-09-2008 08:41 AM

He's good?

LannysStach 04-09-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJT (Post 13544478)
shots per game works out to 5.38 for me, not 14.

Nice thread!! Alexander the Gr8!!

Thank you! you are correct -- i thought that "14" looked odd, but i got it from a reputable paper so i didn't do the math myself.

and i loved that line above about hitting Philly like a wrecking ball -- great imagery! but :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

[p.s. i take that emoter as "shhhhh" not "sarcasm"]

Clock 04-09-2008 08:53 AM

That's awesome, good for Ovy. Great personality, fun to watch, tough. Great for the game.

Heat McManus 04-09-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

It took 5 posts until a Crosby mention? Wow, HF is losing itself in its old age.

Congrats to Ovechkin on a historic season. I can't wait to see what this kid does when he scores in the playoffs. Check himself through the glass into a luxury box?

Oilers1* 04-09-2008 09:22 AM

Has anyone noticed that Crosby's PPG this season was almost identical to Ovechkin's? And that he outplayed him last year?

Now, I hate that everything about these two guys becomes Crosby vs Ovechkin (I, personally, can enjoy watching them both without feeling its taking away from the other) but to say stuff like 'Ovechkin dominated like no one since Lemieux' and 'Ovechkin is clearly the better player now' and 'Crosby is really going to have to play hard next year to catch up' (paraphrasing from this thread) is pretty silly. All he did this season (so far) that Crosby didn't was stay healthy.

Selanne00008 04-09-2008 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=LannysStach;13543861]

Led the league in shots (441), and shots-per-game (5.3). This is the second most shots ever taken by a player in the history of the NHL. Only Phil Esposito had more -- once.

And over his first 3 seasons he's only missed a single game.

What a year for this kid. He deserves a standing - :handclap:[/
QUOTE]

EVerything above is what really stands out for me. The kid is sick. And he is, like someone mentioned the second coming of Christ.

I'll build my team around AO over anyone, anyday. His motivation, heart, character, emotion is what does it for me. Let alone the record bre4aking seasons. Not one player with half the talent as AO can bring the emotion he brings. :handclap:

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 04-09-2008 09:32 AM

So this Ovechkin kid is good then?

TOCxNJ 04-09-2008 09:36 AM

wow...seeing everything down on paper(kinda) really blows you away. seriously what else can you say, he is an amazing hockey player. i will enjoy watching him play against the flyers, i just hope the flyers win!...that being said, he is by far the most complete player in the nhl and is just so fun to watch.

LannysStach 04-09-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers1 (Post 13544893)
Has anyone noticed that Crosby's PPG this season was almost identical to Ovechkin's? And that he outplayed him last year?

Now, I hate that everything about these two guys becomes Crosby vs Ovechkin (I, personally, can enjoy watching them both without feeling its taking away from the other) but to say stuff like 'Ovechkin dominated like no one since Lemieux' and 'Ovechkin is clearly the better player now' and 'Crosby is really going to have to play hard next year to catch up' (paraphrasing from this thread) is pretty silly. All he did this season (so far) that Crosby didn't was stay healthy.

You didn't "paraphrase" what i said above: that I hope somebody can write this about Crosby next year. Heck, I'll write it. He's fantastic, amazing, tremendous. Maybe he's the Gretzky and Ovie is the Lemieux? who knows, who cares? They're both great.

But Crosby has never put up a league-dominating performance like Ovie did this year. Let's give the guy credit -- we haven't seen this for a long time -- and he's on an "8th place" team for gosh sakes! It's Sid's turn to take it back next year. But this is a heckuva "Top this." :)

And Lanny willing, the two will meet in the second round!

Biscuit Bullet 04-09-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers1 (Post 13544893)

This is true.

BUT, given identical PPG, I'd take the higher goal/game rate any day of the week.

To me, Sakic's 118 point season in 2000-1 is probably the best I've seen from a forward since the Lemieux era.

Blueline Bomber 04-09-2008 09:48 AM

What really impresses me is his +/-. He went from -19 last season to +28 this season. That's quite a change, either him playing better defensively, or the Caps playing better defensively.

cleaver 04-09-2008 09:51 AM

My favorite Ovechkin stat: since he came into the league he has more 10 or more shot games (18) than the next four guys combined [Olli Jokinen (5), Jaromir Jagr (4), Ilya Kovalchuk (4) and Mats Sundin (4)].

The Kingslayer 04-09-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRoseByAnyOtherName (Post 13545203)
What really impresses me is his +/-. He went from -19 last season to +28 this season. That's quite a change, either him playing better defensively, or the Caps playing better defensively.

Both