HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   You think Gainey is sweating a tad over Huet? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=503332)

Habs 04-09-2008 11:53 AM

You think Gainey is sweating a tad over Huet?

I mean... if we have to play the Caps at some point.. that would be very ... uncomfortable knowing he gave Huet to Washington for nothing... or next to nothing..

He could very well end his own playoff run by a panic trade at the deadline.

HH 04-09-2008 11:54 AM

I think he can console himself by having the next great goaltender in his net...

roy_133* 04-09-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 13546893)
I mean... if we have to play the Caps at some point.. that would be very ... uncomfortable knowing he gave Huet to Washington for nothing... or next to nothing..

If he was scared of facing Huet in the first place, he wouldn't have traded him within the East, he knew the risks, he knew there was a chance the Caps got in, and actually probably figured there was a chance we'd see them in round 1.

He obviously feels that if Washington did beat Montreal it wouldn't be because Huet is better then Price.

Puckhead58* 04-09-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Huet is a very good goalie, but I don't see any reason why we should be worried about possibly facing him in the playoffs. Price is just as good or maybe better than Huet is so it would be a good matchup if it were to happen.

Washington is playing very well right now, but I don't expect it to last for too much longer. If they make it to the second round, that will be as far as they will go.....or thats what I think anyways.

Monctonscout 04-09-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

IF the Habs were to meet Washington, it would be in the conference final. If Price gets the Habs to the conference final at 20, NOBODY will be questioning trading Huet for a 2nd rounder.

Fido22 04-09-2008 11:56 AM

I STRONGLY disagree with the Huet trade, but it had nothing to do with a panic move.

CrazyShea 04-09-2008 11:56 AM

Caps will have a hard enough time getting out of the first round, not to mention making the 3rd round. If thats who we face in the 3rd round i think gainey will be happy as will hab fans

AH 04-09-2008 11:56 AM

wow, who cares !!!

Habs 04-09-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 13546936)
wow, who cares !!!

If you didn't care, why are you asking?

HabsGuy19 04-09-2008 11:58 AM

doubt it

Knuckles30 04-09-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushfire (Post 13546916)
He obviously feels that if Washington did beat Montreal it wouldn't be because Huet is better then Price.

The question isn't whether Huet is better than Price, it's whether he's better than Kolzig. Gainey could have just as easily passed the reigns to Price without giving Huet away to a potential playoff opponent.

habfan4 04-09-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Gainey's decision to move Huet was the antithesis of panic, it was a calculated gamble (which is demonstrative of careful reflection).

CrazyShea 04-09-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckles30 (Post 13546975)
The question isn't whether Huet is better than Price, it's whether he's better than Kolzig. Gainey could have just as easily passed the reigns to Price without giving Huet away to a potential playoff opponent.

I think gainey had to get rid of Huet. If huet was still around there would probably still be a doubt in his head whether he is actually the number 1 or not. With huet out of the picture price has played his best hockey. I dont really care that he traded him but i think he could have got alot more then one 2nd round pick

mcphee 04-09-2008 12:03 PM

I think Gainey figured the kid's better right now, just out and out better, and might be even better if we gave him a clear job. If he didn't think Huet could bring him there, the decision got easier. He never told me this though, I'm guessing.

#44_delivers 04-09-2008 12:03 PM

i like many others here lost confidence in huet for his lack of clutch. bob did not have confidence in huet moving forward, if huet all of a sudden becomes clutch i'd be very surprised.
i've never felt the same about huet since the shiity goals he let in back in that carolina series. when the going gets tough huet gets going.

Habs 04-09-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 13546980)
Gainey's decision to move Huet was the antithesis of panic, it was a calculated gamble (which is demonstrative of careful reflection).

Gainey put Washington into the playoffs, not Ovechkin. If Kolzig was between the pipes they would have never made it. If that was a calculated move, it was an odd one.

MJG 04-09-2008 12:05 PM

I'm sure many of us, and gainey himself would welcome the idea of playing the Caps in the Conference finals. There are three teams that I'd like to avoid before the Caps, so facing Huet will be a blessing.

Fire Brunet* 04-09-2008 12:05 PM

Shoot from the blue line late in the 3rd period! ;)

Thibaj 04-09-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

I would have kept Huet, but a second round pick is better than next to nothing... Latendresse, Ribeiro, Garon, Theodore, were all 2nd round picks.

AH 04-09-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 13546959)
If you didn't care, why are you asking?

You were not included in the 'who'...

You dont matter.

Whitesnake 04-09-2008 12:11 PM

You don't often win trades that you're not in control of. We HAD to trade Ribeiro, we HAD to trade Roy, Atlanta had to get Zhitnik, Nashville desperately wanted Forsberg.....

It's obviously always better when it's for everybody's sake (the Rivet trade). We had to get rid of him but San Jose equally needed a vet presence real bad.

As for Huet it's a mix between we had to get rid of him to make room for Price and 'cause we were going to lose him for nothing AND it's also our advantage 'cause it made Price shine so far.

But Gainey will look bad if:

1- Price fails, Halak can't help...
2- Huet beats Habs
3- 2nd rounder is a bust

But Gainey will look good if:

1- The contrary of what I just said happens
2- Because of Price's experience in this playoffs, he'll be gold for years to come and become a better goalie as soon as next year when our team will be much better.

Not a lot of people expect us to be a cup winner this year, they will next year, we'll need a better Price for that to happen. If this year means he'll be better next year, so be it....

It was and still is a big gamble.

habfan4 04-09-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 13547052)
Gainey put Washington into the playoffs, not Ovechkin. If Kolzig was between the pipes they would have never made it. If that was a calculated move, it was an odd one.

Huet's performance in Washington was/is beyond Gainey's control and almost certainly wasn't a factor in his decision. A GM cannot refrain from making a deal because he fears that it will help the opposing team, the focus is on bolstering your own club (present and future tense).

The rationale for the move was expressed admirably (and IMO accurately) by mcphee. Though I would characterize the decision as more of a challenge to Price to step into the starting role rather than an expression of doubt in Huet's abilities.

#44_delivers 04-09-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau (Post 13547096)

that made me lol :cheers:

Athlétique_Canadien 04-09-2008 12:11 PM

I have to disagree. A second rounder isn't nothing. Also, if BOb didn't trade Huet to Washington, what team would have wanted him? Scan playoff bound clubs and their goalies. Besides Washington, who would want to acquire UFA Huet?

MJG 04-09-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau (Post 13547096)

Off Latendresse's stick ftw!