HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Martin staying according to TSN.ca (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=503949)

Laus723 04-10-2008 07:20 PM

Martin staying according to TSN.ca

Quote:

So much for a management bloodletting in Florida.

Amid rampant speculation in the media and around the NHL that Panthers General Manager and head coach Jacques Martin could be fired, sources say Florida owner Alan Cohen has already confirmed to Martin during a postseason meeting that Martin will back with the club next season.

What remains to be seen is whether Martin will remain in the dual capacity of General Manager-head coach.

Sources say that decision has not yet been made, but Martin is now forging ahead with his offseason agenda as GM.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234003&l...headlines_main

Keep him as GM, please hire a new coach Martin.

Markstrom Rules 04-10-2008 07:46 PM

If McKenzie says it, it's almost certainly true. My guess is that he'll remain GM but be forced to give up the coaching duties.

Montsy14 04-10-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 13576659)
If McKenzie says it, it's almost certainly true. My guess is that he'll remain GM but be forced to give up the coaching duties.

I'm not so sure, if any one of those positions would be relinquished by Martin, then you would think they would have announced it by now...I don't see why they would wait to hire a new coach or GM, it isn't exactly something you can put off for the summer

This could definitely mean that Jokinen might be off-loaded...

Markstrom Rules 04-10-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 13576749)
I'm not so sure, if any one of those positions would be relinquished by Martin, then you would think they would have announced it by now...I don't see why they would wait to hire a new coach or GM, it isn't exactly something you can put off for the summer

If he stays as GM, then hiring a new coach isn't something you have to do immediately. Otoh, if Cohen wanted to hire a new GM, then he should do it ASAP, so he can get to know the organization, scout the prospects in juniors and the minors, and get ready for the draft and free agency. That's why I think Martin is staying as GM.

StrangeVision 04-10-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 13576749)

They might be looking for the right guy to coach. No one knows what they are doing. I'd rather they take their time and hire the right coach. There's absolutely no hurry.

TehDoak 04-10-2008 08:11 PM

So do the Jokinen rumors fire up now?

Laus723 04-10-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Doako (Post 13577201)
So do the Jokinen rumors fire up now?

Probably. He was expeceted to be moved at the deadline, though, so I'll believe it when he's in a new sweater. But Olli did say that if the Panthers don't make the playoffs that he expects there to be changes, with perhaps him on the way out.

NJ_CATS_FAN 04-10-2008 08:23 PM

I think JM will be the GM and a new coach will be coming in. I dont know why, but I have a feeling that Cohen has already told and will force JM to stay as GM and give up coaching. If the reports are true and JM was told he will be back, I just really have a gut feeling JM was told if he wants to stay, he will stay as GM but a new HC will be coming in. A new coach does not have to come in immediately, but I think behind closed doors JM already knows he will be the GM only. They just wont announce anything yet and keep everything on the down low for now.

Markstrom Rules 04-10-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN (Post 13577465)
I think JM will be the GM and a new coach will be coming in. I dont know why, but I have a feeling that Cohen has already told and will force JM to stay as GM and give up coaching. If the reports are true and JM was told he will be back, I just really have a gut feeling JM was told if he wants to stay, he will stay as GM but a new HC will be coming in. A new coach does not have to come in immediately, but I think behind closed JM already knows he will be the GM only. They just wont announce anything yet and keep everything on the down low for now.

I totally agree.

pb1300 04-10-2008 09:04 PM

JM will be the GM, a new coach will be brought in, and Olli wont be the captain anymore. Thats how I think it goes down. Either that, or (gulp), Martin stays as coach and we bring in a new GM.

Laus723 04-10-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 13578584)
JM will be the GM, a new coach will be brought in, and Olli wont be the captain anymore. Thats how I think it goes down. Either that, or (gulp), Martin stays as coach and we bring in a new GM.

I think he'll stay as GM, too. I too think that Olli's no longer going to have the C, if he's not actually traded.

NJ_CATS_FAN 04-10-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 13578715)
I think he'll stay as GM, too. I too think that Olli's no longer going to have the C, if he's not actually traded.

If JM is staying as GM, I dont think Olli will be traded. He will get Ollis winger.

Laus723 04-10-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN (Post 13579105)
If JM is staying as GM, I dont think Olli will be traded. He will get Ollis winger.

Dunno, we'll have to wait and see. I'd like to see what Olli-Matthias-Olesz could produce.

sinDer 04-10-2008 09:29 PM

we're not going to see JM as a GM only

JM is a coach at first. that's what he likes to do

JM would quit this organization if he couldn't coach

Laus723 04-10-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinDer (Post 13579203)
JM is a coach

If he can't coach anymore....he'll quit

you're not going to see JM as a GM only

JM will stay as GM AND coach....or he'll quit this organization

that's it

I don't think we can really know that, though. This is the first time he's been GM, perhaps he really likes the job as GM and is willing to stay as just that.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an interesting summer.

Georgia Panther 04-10-2008 09:34 PM

My reaction to this report.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ron/Doomed.jpg

;)

PanthersRule96 04-10-2008 09:53 PM

Matthias is not the answer! If he makes the team, it should be on the 3rd line to start and then let him work his way up with his play. Olesz, JOkinen and Matthias on the first line sets us up for failure and sets Matthias up for failure as well. Olesz isn't really ready for a 1st line spot unless there's another legit winger on that line with Olli. We need to sign someone who can make plays and play physical to put out there and make room for Olli, just as Roberts did a couple years ago. We can't throw Matthias to the wolves all of a sudden and expect the team to do well. Maybe in 3 years he can be on our top line, but people project him to be a good 2nd line player. Not to many people are saying he's a future 1st liner, but who knows, he could prove us all wrong, or he could end up just being a mediocre 3rd liner. Regardless, throwing him on the first line to start the year won't help anyone.

Georgia Panther 04-10-2008 10:04 PM

Maybe there is still hope as Biggane says Cohen WAS NOT SUPPORTIVE of JM at tonights meeting.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...not_suppo.html

Laus723 04-10-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 (Post 13579802)
Matthias is not the answer! If he makes the team, it should be on the 3rd line to start and then let him work his way up with his play. Olesz, JOkinen and Matthias on the first line sets us up for failure and sets Matthias up for failure as well. Olesz isn't really ready for a 1st line spot unless there's another legit winger on that line with Olli. We need to sign someone who can make plays and play physical to put out there and make room for Olli, just as Roberts did a couple years ago. We can't throw Matthias to the wolves all of a sudden and expect the team to do well. Maybe in 3 years he can be on our top line, but people project him to be a good 2nd line player. Not to many people are saying he's a future 1st liner, but who knows, he could prove us all wrong, or he could end up just being a mediocre 3rd liner. Regardless, throwing him on the first line to start the year won't help anyone.

Last thing I want is our kids thrown to the wolves, but I certainly don't want Matthias sitting on the 3rd line when he could play in the minors (or is it still juniors) and get top line minutes. He's here to play that role, but I do think he needs to earn a spot, not just have it handed to him. First I've heard of im not being a top liner.

He played well with Olli in his time up, looked pretty good, too. Let him earn it, if he does, so be it.

zeroG 04-10-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 13578584)

alright, let's get this thing back on topic. first off, i was glad to see this thread title. renewed my faith in the franchise....a bit. i'm ok with cohen saying something like "look, you've done good here. not sure about the double duty but we want you to stay so just keep doing what you gotta do for now; we'll deal with the details of how we'll handle things next year." that, to me, sounds like a reasonable approach.

pb1300 04-10-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 13579996)
Maybe there is still hope as Biggane says Cohen WAS NOT SUPPORTIVE of JM at tonights meeting.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...not_suppo.html

He is going by what two people told him they heard/thought. I could of wrote the same article and have the same credibility.

Mogo 04-10-2008 11:28 PM

I wonder which old friend JM will save this time from icing some rink in Canada and hire as our coach. Atleast he hasnt hired family... yet...

Then again we could have another problem in our hands if JM stays as GM only because he loves coaching so much. Will he be unhappy not coaching anymore etc

VirtualSpree 04-10-2008 11:57 PM

It's obvious JM was going to stay as GM, they wouldn't let him go around scouting & signing players if he was going to be fired.