HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Panthers coaching search (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=504064)

hoax15 04-11-2008 12:03 AM

Panthers coaching search

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miami Herald
As far as coaching candidates go, the Panthers could promote an assistant. Guy Charron served as interim coach of Anaheim in 2000-01, and Mike Kitchen coached St. Louis from 2004-06.

Rochester Americans coach Randy Cunneyworth is expected to get a look from the Panthers, as well as Ottawa, once its postseason is complete. Last summer, Cunneyworth was a finalist for the Senators job, which eventually went to John Paddock (who was fired and also could be a consideration for Florida.)

Former coaches Bob Hartley (Colorado, Atlanta) and Pat Quinn (Toronto) have relationships with Martin and could be options.

Who would you choose? I would probobly pick someone like Paddock or Cunneyworth.

Laus723 04-11-2008 12:08 AM

On that list, Hartley, Quinn, or Cunneyworth.

PLEASE no to Kitchen and Paddock. Wouldn't be too wild about Charron, either.

Markstrom Rules 04-11-2008 12:14 AM

Some possibilities besides those in the article:

Craig Hartsburg
Andy Murray if fired
Ted Nolan if fired
Paul Maurice if fired
Pat Burns

pb1300 04-11-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 13582681)
Some possibilities besides those in the article:

Craig Hartsburg
Andy Murray if fired
Ted Nolan if fired
Paul Maurice if fired
Pat Burns

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 13582572)
On that list, Hartley, Quinn, or Cunneyworth.

PLEASE no to Kitchen and Paddock. Wouldn't be too wild about Charron, either.

I dont think Paddock is a candidate, he is just mentioned in the article. I would go with Cunneyworth or Hartley. Id pay close attention to the Isles situation though because I think Nolan is a hell of a coach.

Laus723 04-11-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 13582827)
I dont think Paddock is a candidate, he is just mentioned in the article. I would go with Cunneyworth or Hartley. Id pay close attention to the Isles situation though because I think Nolan is a hell of a coach.

I think Nolan is a good coach, too. He seems to have gotten a lot out of that roster.

StrangeVision 04-11-2008 12:42 AM

Ted Nolan would be awesome here, imo.

Crossbar 04-11-2008 01:04 AM

Dale Hunter all the way! He uses a good offensive system, good at developing youngsters, will bark at the players/refs if they are not doing their jobs, and will mold this team to play hard-nosed all the time.

HM: Pat Burns, but I don't think he'll choose us.

Clint 04-11-2008 01:14 AM

I'd say no to Hartley and Quinn. Let's let some new blood prove their worth here.

I'd also say no to Ted Nolan (if fired). He's a good coach, but the guy is a total head-case and can't go without screaming "RACISM" every time he's disagreed with.

I'll just say that I want a guy that emphasizes hustle, forechecking, and and offense first approach instead of an overly patient 'dump, chase, and sit back and wait' strategy. I'm not sure who that is, but I'm hoping we pick him up.

Edit: And like Crossbar said, I'd like a guy who won't mind opening his mouth to the refs and getting riled up every once in a while. I haven't been able to watch many Panther games live over the past few years, but the ones I have seen have shown me that Martin doesn't do much more than keep his mouth shut on the bench.

As someone who has played competitive hockey for almost 10 years of his life, it does mean a lot to see your coach give a crap on the bench, and it can really rile a team up when the bench boss gets nice and loud and shows he's got some piss and vinegar in his blood. It makes you want it more and it makes you want to go and finish your checks.

pb1300 04-11-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 13583242)
I'd say no to Hartley and Quinn. Let's let some new blood prove their worth here.

I'd also say no to Ted Nolan (if fired). He's a good coach, but the guy is a total head-case and can't go without screaming "RACISM" every time he's disagreed with.

I'll just say that I want a guy that emphasizes hustle, forechecking, and and offense first approach instead of an overly patient 'dump, chase, and sit back and wait' strategy. I'm not sure who that is, but I'm hoping we pick him up.

Edit: And like Crossbar said, I'd like a guy who won't mind opening his mouth to the refs and getting riled up every once in a while. I haven't been able to watch many Panther games live over the past few years, but the ones I have seen have shown me that Martin doesn't do much more than keep his mouth shut on the bench.

As someone who has played competitive hockey for almost 10 years of his life, it does mean a lot to see your coach give a crap on the bench, and it can really rile a team up when the bench boss gets nice and loud and shows he's got some piss and vinegar in his blood. It makes you want it more and it makes you want to go and finish your checks.

You know, a little slap of the helmet or a tap on the back goes a long way sometimes. I know they are grown men, but they need encouragement sometimes, especially when the times are real tough.

Id like to see them bring someone in who can light a fire under this team. Someone who can bring out the best of everyone. We all know we have a sleeping giant in the form of Nathan Horton, who if awakened, is a 40+ goal scorer. If someone can get in here and blow him up, thats always a plus.

Georgia Panther 04-11-2008 06:37 AM

http://www.grabow.biz/images/MikeKeenan.jpg

Just kidding but I can dream, can't I?:p:

Madhatter73 04-11-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 13584199)

Hey, after he loses to SJ in the first round, he WILL be available!

:)

(And if it Happens, I'm buying a Lecavalier jersey the same day)

Beezer 04-11-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

I would rather A. Cohen be the coach then bring the anti-christ back!!!

Beezer 04-11-2008 07:49 AM

I would go with either Nolan or Hartly!

petteri 04-11-2008 08:05 AM

I'd go with Quinn or Cunneyworth. Quinn brings back some of Keenans hard nose attitude without the idiot mentality. Cunnyworth seems to really have a talent for bringing up some up tempo play from a variety of players, plus he's got an insiders knowledge of a number of our guys.

Madhatter73 04-11-2008 08:10 AM

I wouldn't mind Cunneyworth.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Martin is currently in Rochester.

Georgia Panther 04-11-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezer (Post 13584492)
I would rather A. Cohen be the coach then bring the anti-christ back!!!

Nah, I don't think Viktor Kozlov is qualified to be a NHL Head Coach! :laugh:

Crossbar 04-11-2008 08:36 AM

I bet Martin will try to get Rangers assistant coach Perry Pearn as his head coach.

VirtualSpree 04-11-2008 09:56 AM

It may not be a coincidence that Martin is in Rochester for 'scouting'. He might be interviewing Cunneyworth.

Acadmus 04-11-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Might I point out that he 1) already ruined this franchise once and 2) took a Calgary team loaded with talent and BARELY got them into the playoffs.

No to the TRUE hockey devil, Iron Mike Keenan.

Acadmus 04-11-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petteri (Post 13584636)
I'd go with Quinn or Cunneyworth. Quinn brings back some of Keenans hard nose attitude without the idiot mentality. Cunnyworth seems to really have a talent for bringing up some up tempo play from a variety of players, plus he's got an insiders knowledge of a number of our guys.

Doesn't Pat Quinn have a track record of failure already?

I'd definitely go with Cunneyworth, though.

Desert Panther 04-11-2008 10:19 AM

Cunneyworth has got my vote. If Nolan gets booted from the Island, I think he'd be a good choice too ...

Acadmus 04-11-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Panther (Post 13586095)
Cunneyworth has got my vote. If Nolan gets booted from the Island, I think he'd be a good choice too ...

The only thing that worries me on Nolan is the Isles' meltdown this season.

hoax15 04-11-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 13586329)
The only thing that worries me on Nolan is the Isles' meltdown this season.

I remember hearing about how they only had like 4 people who were in their opening night roster on ice for a couple games.

They've been royally screwed by injuries. Ours were spread out, theirs were just piled on all at once.

jglenn001 04-11-2008 10:39 AM

From the list, Cunneyworth would be my choice.

Acadmus 04-11-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 13586352)
I remember hearing about how they only had like 4 people who were in their opening night roster on ice for a couple games.

They've been royally screwed by injuries. Ours were spread out, theirs were just piled on all at once.

Well, ours weren't that spread out, but no, we never had 16 guys out at one time. I think the most we had injured at once this season was 7, only 5 of whom would have been playing at the same time. Still, a big impact.