HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   High Sticks Rule (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=504918)

KostyBrosFan 04-12-2008 11:25 PM

High Sticks Rule

I saw some people mention about the ref missing the high stick call in the final minutes of the game. The ref did made the right call, because it was a follow through, therefore no penalty. Some of us (include me) didn't realize there is such rule. So here is the rule:

Quote:

A "high stick" is one which is carried above the height of the opponent's shoulders. A player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion
http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule61.html

Guy Caballero 04-13-2008 12:45 AM

Right in the rulebook. First thing in the High Sticking section.

Markov = no penalty
Reich = clear trip...penalty

Cryers = S.T.F.U.

JGRB 04-13-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero (Post 13621213)

Markov = no penalty

DON CHERRY = S.T.F.U.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

benji 04-13-2008 01:39 AM

High Sticks Rule :yo:

Judge Sauer* 04-13-2008 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benji (Post 13621667)
High Sticks Rule :yo:

Except when we play against the Canes....

benji 04-13-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Sauer (Post 13621871)
Except when we play against the Canes....

or for Bryan Berard :shakehead

But indeed, the rule is written.

KostyBrosFan 04-13-2008 02:54 AM

Yeah still some bruins fans were saying it is a penalty. I remember the ref on ice did a follow through motion to explain to Reich.

Cupmonger 04-13-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KostyBrosFan (Post 13622008)
Yeah still some bruins fans were saying it is a penalty. I remember the ref on ice did a follow through motion to explain to Reich.

Yup i saw that too. Can't expect the fans to know any better though.

Hawkguy 04-13-2008 06:29 AM

Not to mention Reich was bent over .. so I don't know where that stands as far as over an opponents shoulder. Is it his height standing or bent over?

Blades 0f Steel 04-13-2008 06:39 AM

The Bruins can cry all they like, their best wasn't good enough.

Kovalev was tripped before he could go in alone on a breakaway in the 2nd and a horrible call lead to Boston's 2nd goal. **** happens.

GoneAway 04-13-2008 07:04 AM

Wow...didnt know that rule...come to think of it, a lot of the refs seem not to know that rule

Bermy 04-13-2008 07:12 AM

Ron MacLean was trying to explain that rule to Cherry last night

optimus2861 04-13-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 13622441)
Not to mention Reich was bent over .. so I don't know where that stands as far as over an opponents shoulder. Is it his height standing or bent over?

It's gotta be standing. Take the extreme example: a defender going down to block a shot, doesn't get his face turned away in time, and the shot/pass follow-through nails him right in the face. There's no way that gets called a high-sticking penalty. Reich was bent over to the point his head was almost at Markov's hip. That's not a high-sticking penalty, no matter what Bruins fans think about it.

I am getting a kick out of the selective whining coming out of that camp today. Not a peep about the gift 5-on-3 they got to tie the game, it's all about the 4-minute high stick, the last trip, and insisiting that Markov dove. All Boston had to do was score on the remaining PP time after the 5-on-3 and they might well have won. They didn't get the job done, so naturally it's all the referees' fault. Losers :nopity:

CPrice 04-13-2008 12:11 PM

Under the NHL rule book it clearly was not a highstick whether B fans like it or not. If they don't like NHL rules they can go watch another league.

Tuggy 04-13-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero (Post 13621213)

Markov = no penalty

Cryers = S.T.F.U.

Don Cherry, Claude Julien and lots of Bruin fans have just made themselves look stupid. I always laugh when people complain about something when it's crystal clear in the rulebook what the rule is. Follow through is NOT a penalty and that's the way it is.

As for the Reich penalty...looks to me like Markov stepped on his stick but why would he put his stick in there in the first place. Reaching out like that and tripping a player is pretty tough to miss. And why did Julien have some 4th line scrub out in OT killing a penalty?

Carbo N8 04-13-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPrice (Post 13625050)
Under the NHL rule book it clearly was not a highstick whether B fans like it or not. If they don't like NHL rules they can go watch another league.

Hopefully, they will be doing that soon. The Red Sox.

Kriss E 04-13-2008 12:25 PM

They still call it sometimes and a lot of times they simply call a penalty because they see the guy covering his face and falling down.

The high stick rule is a dumb one IMO..just like the ''delay of game'' one..

A completely accidental high stick can get you a 2min or even a 4min penalty, yet Mark Bell's hit on Alfie is a legal one...
They really have their s*** right..

Mathletic 04-13-2008 12:26 PM

it's funny to see the Bruins insult the Habs because Habs dive and whine ... well the Bruins whine on an official rule and don't say anything when the great Aaron Ward dives

JrHockeyFan 04-13-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chezz (Post 13622528)
Wow...didnt know that rule...come to think of it, a lot of the refs seem not to know that rule

Funny you should say that. In the London Guelph series this year, Drew Doughty knocked out 6 of Akim Aliu's teeth and got no penalty. In this case the swipe at the puck by Doughty was a wild golf swing attempt to clear the puck. The Ref Supervisor defended the call initially, until the head of Refs in the OHL cleared matters up:

Quote:

Then there was Guelph's Drew Doughty accidently hitting London's Akim Aliu with his stick and escaping punishment. The issue festered when supervisor Bill Prisniak commented that there was no penalty because the rule had changed.

To Hache's credit, he was straightforward about the call.

"The wrong call was made. There was a misinterpretation," he said. "We had a meeting prior to the playoffs where we discussed accidental high sticks on a natural follow through with an injury. There's no penalty. In this incident, there wasn't a natural follow through. The player is holding it like a golf club, he swings at the puck and hits Aliu. He should have been accessed a double minor for high sticking.

"We had discussed it over and over again . . . it was the wrong interpretation. I approached both officials and Bill Prisniak and we cleared that up. The rule has not changed. It's always been our rule."
The bottom line was the Ref and his Super thought that what Doughty did was a follow through and therefore no penalty. That was later straightened out as described above.

The operative word here is normal or natural follow through. Even refs screw that up