HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Gig's Almost Up For Hero Duck (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=50505)

KING 02-08-2004 03:48 AM

The Gig's Almost Up For Hero Duck

http://nypost.com/sports/16124.htm

jas 02-08-2004 06:25 AM

Brooks is right

Let the purge begin!! Time to trade as many of the vets as possible. The only ones likely to stick around should be Jagr, Holik, Barnaby, Leetch, DeVries and Kasparitis. If Boston wants Poti, I'll take Jillson in a heartbeat. Make Moore/Lundmark/Ortmeyer the second line and deal off Kovalev and Nedved. Then auction off the likes of Malakhov, Mironov and Simon for whatever a contender will pay. And, get as close to the top pick as possible. Either a top line center, or a top line #1 defenseman should be the pick. While the coffers of prospects are not as overflowing as Ranger management would like us to think, the likes of Lundmark, Moore, Blackburn, Tjutin, Ortmeyer, Jessiman, Murray, Lampman, Baranka, Wiseman, Lampman, Lundquist, Dawes, and perhaps a Jake Taylor or Nate Guenin is NOT that bad. Sather (or, rather, Renney) needs to pull a surefire stud out of the next draft, especially if the Rangers draft in the top five.

Kodiak 02-08-2004 10:32 AM

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Ducks to give up on Giguere so soon. Everyone was comparing him to Theodore at the beginning of the year, but no one seems to take the next step in the comparison. Theodore bounced back this year. He's been in his Vezina form all year. Players tend to have bad years after breakout seasons. I've seen it in all sports. It just happens. But if a player is really that good, he'll bounce back. Giguere really is that good. And if Anaheim deals him for anything less than an earthshattering return, they're going to regret it for the next 10 years when Giguere is an elite goalie somewhere else.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-08-2004 11:15 AM

Kovalev for Giguere? Maybe not one for onne but as the principles in a larger deal?

Son of Steinbrenner 02-08-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Kovalev for Giguere? Maybe not one for onne but as the principles in a larger deal?

this is a larry brooks rumor and you guys are falling into the trap of thinking its true. come on its not true and if the rangers did make the trade for giguere you would hear the crying about how the rangers just ruined blackburn. giguere is not coming here or anywhere in the near future

klingsor 02-08-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

I would think that the only teams that would want Alex would be teams that had a shot at the Cup this year and felt that he'd help them.

A smooth GM might be able to get a couple of contenders to bid against each other for Alex. Then again, knowing Sather, he'll probably lower his trade value like he's doing with Dunham.

Son of Steinbrenner 02-08-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
I would think that the only teams that would want Alex would be teams that had a shot at the Cup this year and felt that he'd help them.

A smooth GM might be able to get a couple of contenders to bid against each other for Alex. Then again, knowing Sather, he'll probably lower his trade value like he's doing with Dunham.

umm hasn't dunham lowered his own trade value with his poor play?

klingsor 02-08-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
umm hasn't dunham lowered his own trade value with his poor play?

Yes he has, but Sather should not be broadcasting the fact that he's lost confidence in the guy he "stole" from Nashville if he's looking to trade for a goalie and trade Dunham. It just weakens his bargaining position.

Sather should keep his yap shut (like he wants Holik to do). Dunham ain't that bad. Behind a decent defense he'd be adequate or better.

Shadowtron 02-08-2004 07:46 PM

Quote:

I'd jump at it. I liek Giguere, and think his play is a reflection of his team. He's young, and can perform in the playoffs. I like him over Dunham, and would gladly pack Kovie's bag if a deal like that went down. I've had more than enough of him. AK27 part 2 is like all sequels, never as good as the original, especially when the original was weak to begin with.

Kovie, Dunham, Lundmark, Hlavac and a mid-round draft pick FOR Giguere and a low draft pick :)

I know, I know, I'd make a terrible GM. That's why I never persued hockey as a career, hehehehehehe.

Melrose_Jr. 02-09-2004 08:29 AM

Quote:

They have always been strong in the middle; strong, big and tough. Now, the Devils go with Scott Gomez, small and having a bad year; John Madden, average, at best; Sergei Brylin, small; and, Igor Larionov, small and having a terrible year. Even if Lamoriello comes up with Alexei Zhamnov.....that won't be enough.
Ummmmm, swap Larionov for Nieuwendyk, who missed most of the playoffs with an injury, and you've got the team that won the Stanley Cup last year. THIS YEAR it's not "enough" though!?!?!?! :dunno:

Pearl Necklace 02-09-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Ummmmm, swap Larionov for Nieuwendyk, who missed most of the playoffs with an injury, and you've got the team that won the Stanley Cup last year. THIS YEAR it's not "enough" though!?!?!?! :dunno:

Glad to see someone else caught that too. This is why I'll never give Brooks credibility.