HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   East Division Semifinal: Wilkes-Barre (E1) vs Hershey (E4) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=505232)

ratsgirl 04-13-2008 09:05 PM

East Division Semifinal: Wilkes-Barre (E1) vs Hershey (E4)

E1-W-B/Scranton Penguins vs. E4-Hershey Bears

[QUOTE]Game 1 Wed., Apr. 16 W-B/Scranton at Hershey, 7:00
Game 2 Sat., Apr. 19 Hershey at W-B/Scranton, 7:05
Game 3 Sun., Apr. 20 Hershey at W-B/Scranton, 5:05
Game 4 Wed., Apr. 23 W-B/Scranton at Hershey, 7:00
Game 5 Fri., Apr. 25 Hershey at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

Wilkes-Barre wins series 4-1.

Rumblick 04-14-2008 01:20 PM

God help either team if this one goes the distance. 3-in-3 during the playoffs is pretty stupid.

Could be an interesting series. Neither team is terrific, but they really don't like each other. The distance is easily drivable, so visiting fans will be well represented at both venues. A lot will depend on (A) if Cassivi can step his game up BIG TIME now that the playoffs are on, and (B) how quick Woods will go to Machesney if Freddie doesn't step up.

My heart: Bears in 6.

My head: Pens in 5.

pelts35.com 04-14-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 13648912)
God help either team if this one goes the distance. 3-in-3 during the playoffs is pretty stupid.

Could be an interesting series. Neither team is terrific, but they really don't like each other. The distance is easily drivable, so visiting fans will be well represented at both venues. A lot will depend on (A) if Cassivi can step his game up BIG TIME now that the playoffs are on, and (B) how quick Woods will go to Machesney if Freddie doesn't step up.

My heart: Bears in 6.

My head: Pens in 5.

Will Cassivi even be the starter going into the playoffs? In the half dozen or so games that I have seen I've been pretty impressed with Machesney while being underwhelmed by Cassivi. From the "developmental" perspective I wonder if it would be in the Caps best interest to have Machesney in net?

Seabass 04-14-2008 02:41 PM

I'll be interested to see how many games Bonvie will get into. I would also agree that neither team is anything outstanding.

Giroux has a record for killing the Pens in the playoffs, he alone makes me really nervous. And I would think Freddy would be the starter. From what I've heard/read, he was better down the stretch and has a proven track record in the playoffs.

Penguins can't seem to beat the Bears in the Division Finals, maybe they can actually take them out in the semi's.

Rumblick 04-14-2008 05:19 PM

Woods seems determined to go with the veteran, even though the stats, the development angle, and sheer rational thought would suggest otherwise (and I'm as big a Cassivi backer as there is in Pennsylvania). I think Freddie starts Wednesday, but the leash won't be too long.

pelts35.com 04-15-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 13653190)
Woods seems determined to go with the veteran, even though the stats, the development angle, and sheer rational thought would suggest otherwise (and I'm as big a Cassivi backer as there is in Pennsylvania). I think Freddie starts Wednesday, but the leash won't be too long.

It's a shame because I think that Machesney deserves the chance and gives the Bears a better chance of winning.

Rumblick 04-15-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 13667893)
It's a shame because I think that Machesney deserves the chance and gives the Bears a better chance of winning.

Ditto, but Woods wants to give the vet a shot. Funny part is, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we were opening the series on the road. Cassivi's save percentage was a lot better on the road in the stretch run.

AHL News 04-20-2008 12:00 AM

Penguins surge past Bears, take 2-0 series lead

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton netted four unanswered goals to take a 6-2 win over Hershey in Game 2 of their East Division semifinal on Saturday at the Wachovia Arena. Tim Brent (pictured) tallied two goals and added an assist for the Penguins, and Chris Minard posted a goal and a helper. The Penguins took a 2-0 series lead and will host Game 3 on Sunday afternoon.

More...

Big McLargehuge 04-20-2008 12:51 AM

Following the parent team to a first round sweep would be oh so very sweet.

It really is quite amazing what WBS has done this season with so much of there roster spending significant time in Pittsburgh due to injuries. I had them pegged as a middling AHL team this season. I can't say enough about the job Todd Richards has done in WBS.