HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Article on Hossa appreciating Pittsburgh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=509475)

JFB 04-22-2008 10:34 PM

OT: Article on Hossa appreciating Pittsburgh

I thought it might interest some of you...

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_563597.html

Quote:

"It's the best of all worlds here. It's like the perfect middle ground. In Canada, everybody knows you and you never get a free moment. In Atlanta, nobody knows you at all outside of hockey. Here, you have a great hockey atmosphere, but if you want to disappear, you can go somewhere and people don't bug you. I like that about Pittsburgh.

"I like (Pittsburgh) a lot."

Doesn't sound like someone interested in playing here :sarcasm:

Hossa :scared:

Kriss E 04-22-2008 10:38 PM

What's he supposed to answer?..
This looks like a typical answer from a player to an interviewer asking how he likes playing in ''insert city''..

Watch him still wait for July1st

znk 04-22-2008 10:39 PM

That's good cause I'm not really interested in him anymore.

anarmandaleb 04-22-2008 10:40 PM

Who cares? I don't want him. Do you?

mitchmagic 04-22-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarmandaleb (Post 13817098)
Who cares? I don't want him. Do you?

Yes.

LeMAD 04-22-2008 10:56 PM

Stay there, we don't want you.

Watsatheo 04-22-2008 10:59 PM

Who's Hossa?

peperebougon* 04-22-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 13817554)
Stay there, we don't want you.

well..... i do. without giving anything you get a hossa??? :help:

ChuckyToGally 04-22-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchmagic (Post 13817113)
Yes.

And how do you afford a multi year contract when guys like Price, Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins and the Kostitsyns will ask for big bucks in the next few years?

I like Hossa. But he's not what we need considering the contract he will get.

LyleOdelein 04-22-2008 11:02 PM

Gainey is the worst! HOSSA!!!

Guillemin 04-22-2008 11:05 PM

Yes Hossa = No Malkin. The Bolts couldn't afford three guys ALL with lower salaries than those three Penguins would have after next season.

Not to mention Gonchar, who makes more than Boyle did.

I don't want him here either.

Analyzer 04-22-2008 11:11 PM

I wouldn't mind him on the team, just depends on how much and how long.

Maybe we can sign him and deal him to Pittsburgh for Staal, or Malkin :sarcasm:

Realistically, I'd like Staal.

ChuckyToGally 04-22-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillemin (Post 13817788)
Yes Hossa = No Malkin. The Bolts couldn't afford three guys ALL with lower salaries than those three Penguins would have after next season.

Not to mention Gonchar, who makes more than Boyle did.

I don't want him here either.

I get your point but still, it's hard to compare the Bolts and the Pens. They don't have the same money to spend. You're talking about a team who wants their salary cap to be under 40M$ and another team who will likely always be at the limit or close to it in the years to come.

Guy Caballero 04-22-2008 11:14 PM

I'd rather have a guy who doesn't care about "being able to disappear," thankyouverymuch (i.e., Kovy).

Judge Sauer* 04-22-2008 11:16 PM

Hossa :scared:
Meh, I'm fine without him now.

Kriss E 04-22-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux (Post 13818020)
I get your point but still, it's hard to compare the Bolts and the Pens. They don't have the same money to spend. You're talking about a team who wants their salary cap to be under 40M$ and another team who will likely always be at the limit or close to it in the years to come.

Thats not it.
Crosby alone will be making 8.7M next year. Hossa will be asking for something close to 8-10M/4-5year deal im guessing as well. That would be what?..1/3 of the cap just with 2players?..Malkin will sign an extension probably next year, unless they trade him. He'll get top dollars as well. Then theres Whitney and Gonchar who are under contract and are taking up close to 10M in space together.
Staal and Fleury will have to be resigned as well.

Signing Hossa to the big lucrative contract he wants would be a really bad move for PIT.

JFB 04-22-2008 11:44 PM

Can't believe what I'm reading. Seriously guys, you are blinded by the recent success of our team.

We don't have any 50-goal scorer on this team. No potential 50-goal scorer in the farm neither. And Kovalev is not getting younger... We'll need someone to put up some goals. Come on...

holyhabs87 04-22-2008 11:45 PM

we have the kosteeeestyn's. hossa sucks!

coolguy21415 04-22-2008 11:46 PM

Yeah Hossa would be a huge addition, and it wouldn't really impact the cap much so long as we were willing to part with Kovalev after next season.

Natural Habs Fan 04-23-2008 12:17 AM

Looking at next year...

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
A.Kost-Pleks-S.Kost
Latendresse-Lapierre-Streit
Begin-Chipchura-Kosto

Komi-Markov
Hammer-Gorges
Cube-Obi

Where exactly would Hossa fit in?

I've been thinking about it for a while and I really can't see Gainey bringing in any more offense over the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if he does nothing. We have a lot of guys to sign in the next 2 years.

Kriss E 04-23-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan (Post 13819592)
Looking at next year...

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
A.Kost-Pleks-S.Kost
Latendresse-Lapierre-Streit
Begin-Chipchura-Kosto

Komi-Markov
Hammer-Gorges
Cube-Obi

Where exactly would Hossa fit in?

I've been thinking about it for a while and I really can't see Gainey bringing in any more offense over the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if he does nothing. We have a lot of guys to sign in the next 2 years.

Streit will not resign here to play Foward. He said he wants to play D next year.

Natural Habs Fan 04-23-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 13819805)
Streit will not resign here to play Foward. He said he wants to play D next year.

Really? That might complicate things...

What do you guys think will happen to Dandenault over the summer?

Beakermania* 04-23-2008 12:58 AM

Who cares....

shortcat1 04-23-2008 10:02 AM

I totally agree with the cost/lenght of contract consideration.

With the salary cap, GMs will have to be judicious as to how they distribute this money.

We already have players who are part of the 'team' (and still very young too...) and that's much better for the team than someone coming in & maybe not being part of the 'team'.

With the quality of players we have and will have in the near future, THESE have to be our 1st consideration, imho. They were chosen by our team and were grown in our team's 'image'. They already run with us so they're our best investment.

Bottom line, I'll trust Bob & co. to do the best that they can.

Unspoken 04-23-2008 02:52 PM

Hossa doesn't fit our needs.

We all know we are weak (and small) at center. Just look at what happened once Koivu was out.
For now, we have two very good second line center, but that's it.

Koivu will not get better.
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Pleks has what it takes to be a first line center once Kovalev starts declining.
Grabovski hasn't proved anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see anyone in the farm which could be a first line center material.

Why did Gainey want Brière so bad as to give him a ludicrous contract (we all know he is not worth that much)?
The guy, although small, fitted perfectly our needs. it is a fortunate turn of event that Pleks had a great year, while benefiting from Kovalev's awakening.
Next year will be the test for him: will he be as good or even better? I'm not sure.

I think Gainey is (and will) still be looking around for a first line center this summer or in the next one... (Lecavalier?)