HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Leafs can keep dreaming (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=509872)

Galchenyuk x 27 04-23-2008 06:31 PM

Leafs can keep dreaming

just mentioned on TSN sportscentre

Burke is staying in Anaheim

Fido22 04-23-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 13831409)

Did he sign an extension or just say "I am still under contrat. Have not had discussions with other teams. Blah, blah, blah"?

Galchenyuk x 27 04-23-2008 06:35 PM

he is still under contract and the Ducks said he will honor the rest of his contract and STAY with the ducks

David_99 04-23-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 13831460)
he is still under contract and the Ducks said he will honor the rest of his contract and STAY with the ducks

Which is only one more year. Hopefully the Leafs keep an interum GM for next year in hopes of grabbing Burke the following year, only to fail again, wasting another year to rebuild. :nod:

Fido22 04-23-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 13831460)

Thx!

Anybody get the feeling the Ducks might be "policing" Burke. He had a press conference yesterday to specifically say he has not talked to anybody and that doing so would be an infraction, the next day the Ducks say he will remain under contract for next year. Ducks are making sure the Leafs don't poach.

Watsatheo 04-23-2008 06:42 PM

I found him to be very opportunistic rather than great while GMing the Ducks. I don't think the Leafs are missing much to be totally honest. I rather have them get Burke than someone that might actually rebuild them well like Rutherford or Darcy Regier.

Turboflex* 04-23-2008 06:44 PM

Even if Burke was a god of hockey (which after Anaheim's miserable campaign, it's a debatable point), could he turn crap into gold with that incompetant corporate board scutinizing his every move while they have their own internal ego wars going on? I don't see anything resembling a dynasty ever coming out of Toronto while these clowns are what passes for ownership.

LesCanadiens 04-23-2008 07:03 PM

Burke is overrated. I could care less if he signs with the Leafs.

Ice Poutine 04-23-2008 07:31 PM

Any GM signing with the Leafs stops being a GM the moment he signs his contract and has to answer those owners (MLSE) that stifle everything he would want to do. Al they need is a puppet, a figurehead, a yes man.

Hell, i'll present to you now the new GM of the Leafs right here and now:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...otato_head.jpg

tinyzombies 04-23-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesCanadiens (Post 13831859)
Burke is overrated. I could care less if he signs with the Leafs.

You could argue that he messed the Ducks up this year by not making deadline moves and by signing Bertuzzi.

The Pronger trade fell in his lap. Murray left him with the assets to make the deal. The people in Vancouver don't seem to be big Burke fans after he gave up a bunch of assets for two Swedish guys who look alike.

SOLR 04-23-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 13832245)
Any GM signing with the Leafs stops being a GM the moment he signs his contract and has to answer those owners (MLSE) that stifle everything he would want to do. Al they need is a puppet, a figurehead, a yes man.

Hell, i'll present to you now the new GM of the Leafs right here and now:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...otato_head.jpg

Claude Julien as GM!??

Habs8517 04-23-2008 07:58 PM

:laugh:
poor laffs
they think money can buy everything :laugh:

Whitesnake 04-23-2008 08:03 PM

My feeling is that Jim Rutherford will be going in TO. They insisted that they need a experienced GM.

lou4gehrig 04-23-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees (Post 13832301)
You could argue that he messed the Ducks up this year by not making deadline moves and by signing Bertuzzi.

The Pronger trade fell in his lap. Murray left him with the assets to make the deal. The people in Vancouver don't seem to be big Burke fans after he gave up a bunch of assets for two Swedish guys who look alike.

I think they traded McCabe and the 10th pick in 2000 for Daniel Sedin and drafted the other one with their pick.

Henrik has scored between 75-81 points each of the last three seasons.

Daniel has scored between 71-84 points each of the last three seasons.

Seems like a good trade by Burke if you ask me.

Analyzer 04-23-2008 08:42 PM

Toronto is going after Bob Gainey:sarcasm:

Team_Spirit 04-23-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 13832686)
My feeling is that Jim Rutherford will be going in TO. They insisted that they need a experienced GM.

AKA a boy from the 'club' as usual.

Judge Sauer* 04-23-2008 08:46 PM

How many times does he have to say it? Seriously, he has to say it in Bushman tongue clicks or something, the media sure as heck doesn't seem to understand English.

Lone Rogue 04-23-2008 08:56 PM

To be 100% honest, they should put a fresh minded guy in the spot. Colin Campbell, or hell, why not Doug Gilmour? Sure, Doug is learning and he has very little experience, but if you want a guy to grow with the team, Doug E is it.

Andrighetto Fabolous 04-23-2008 09:03 PM

Leafs still need an experienced GM? I think Mike Milbury is still available :sarcasm:

Lone Rogue 04-23-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 (Post 13833499)
Leafs still need an experienced GM? I think Mike Milbury is still available :sarcasm:

He certainly bandwagons for the job on TSN. Maybe him and Healy can run the team together. Worked for Dallas with Jackson and Hull :sarcasm:

Guy Caballero 04-23-2008 09:45 PM

They should give Andre Savard a look. He got things in motion when the Habs' cupboard was as bare as the Leafs' is today.

Bullsmith 04-23-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 13831587)
I found him to be very opportunistic rather than great while GMing the Ducks. I don't think the Leafs are missing much to be totally honest. I rather have them get Burke than someone that might actually rebuild them well like Rutherford or Darcy Regier.

Darcy Regier is a brilliant idea for the Leafs. Never thought of him.

I have to say Burke terrifies me though. Opportunistic yes, but you need more than that to land 2 (TWO!!!) Norris-trophy winners with their full A games in pace.

Watsatheo 04-23-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullsmith (Post 13834286)
Darcy Regier is a brilliant idea for the Leafs. Never thought of him.

I have to say Burke terrifies me though. Opportunistic yes, but you need more than that to land 2 (TWO!!!) Norris-trophy winners with their full A games in pace.

I just don't think he's all that great to be honest. He got Neids as an UFA basically because he wanted to play with his brother. Selanne wasn't going to sign anywhere else either. Those two would have been Ducks regardless of who GMed the Ducks IMO. He also walked into a Ducks organization which already had great young talent with Getzlaf, Penner, Lupul, and Perry already in the system.

The good moves he made were getting Pronger and Beauchemin. Lowe picked what he thought was the best package for Pronger. Federov for Beauchemin was very good trade.

He's a good GM, but not the person that I'd expect would be able to save the Leafs.

RE-HABS 04-23-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 13831409)

Things have happened before, and if you really look at it Burke has walked into some good situations where he looks to have come out on top because of prior picks or prospects playing like the players they are supposed to be...the Leaf job to anyone is a long rebuild, I don't care who you are!

tinyzombies 04-23-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lou4gehrig (Post 13832769)
I think they traded McCabe and the 10th pick in 2000 for Daniel Sedin and drafted the other one with their pick.

Henrik has scored between 75-81 points each of the last three seasons.

Daniel has scored between 71-84 points each of the last three seasons.

Seems like a good trade by Burke if you ask me.

Can't win with players like that. Not warriors. They had two high picks and pick two soft Swedes? Ridiculous.