HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Winner of the serie determines if Briere was right? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=509876)

llamateizer 04-23-2008 05:37 PM

Winner of the serie determines if Briere was right?

what do you think?

Captain Saku 04-23-2008 05:41 PM

Whatever results Briere was right... he sucks and went to a sucky team... we didn't and don't and won't need him

Ape Clutch 04-23-2008 05:59 PM

I said Yes

because we WILL win

ShuttFan 04-23-2008 06:01 PM

Whatever results he was right for the Habs, wrong for him.

Psycho Papa Joe 04-23-2008 06:01 PM

Would I want Briere on my team? Absolutely!

Would I want him for that ridiculous contract he signed? Absolutely Not! I think it's also better for his sanity that he didn't sign in Habland.

In addition, if the Habs had signed him, Pleks never has his breakout year.

So whatever the result, it was the best thing for him and the Habs that he signed elsewhere, no matter what happens in the next 4 to 7 games.

NORiculous 04-23-2008 06:03 PM

I'd say its a mix between which team wins the next Stanley cup and How many they win in the next 10 or so years.

This series has only a little weight in the equation, although it would be a heck of a good feeling for the Habs to knock them out in 4 games...

Hackett 04-23-2008 06:04 PM

no, he's still got 7 years on his deal. Lets see who the more successful team is over that span.

btw, I think its a blessing in disguise that the habs ended up losing the briere sweepstakes. He's a good player but I'm not sure that I would want to pay him franchise type of money esp for the amount of years that he got.

MJG 04-23-2008 06:05 PM

He thought they were far better team now and in the future. Regardless of what happens that has been proved wrong. We were a better team than the Flyers during the regular season despite the fact that he, a 70 point centre, plays for them.

goalchenyuk 04-23-2008 06:05 PM

tough to answer , because the Flyers played without Gagné all season long . Imagine the Habs without Plekanec or Koivu for 60 - 70 games ; where the Habs would be today ?

lou4gehrig 04-23-2008 06:06 PM

I think the simple fact that we were best team in the East and Philly struggled all season proves he was wrong.

He went to Philly assuming they would be a better team, which was not correct.

Would we have been better this season with Briere? Probably. Would we have killed our franchise for the next 7 years? Absolutely.

Laps40 04-23-2008 06:06 PM

I am just happy he didn't sign here. The only guy he could have replaced is Koivu. No thanks. I'll keep my captain for now.

Anyway we'll beat him in 6 so he can shut the hell up :P

Transported Upstater 04-23-2008 06:10 PM

The fact that people are obsessing over Briere so much is basically proof that he made the right decision. If he was interested in privacy and peace at all, he wasn't going to find it in Montreal. You know it, and I know it.

Please, just let the Briere thing go. He chose to sign somewhere else; he does not have any obligation whatsoever to sign with the Habs at any point in his life, period. It seems like everyone's moved on but a select group of fans. Briere's a good player for the Philadelphia Flyers. Both the Flyers and Habs are good teams with bright futures. It is not any bigger of a deal than that.

goalchenyuk 04-23-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJG (Post 13831897)
He thought they were far better team now and in the future. Regardless of what happens that has been proved wrong. We were a better team than the Flyers during the regular season despite the fact that he, a 70 point centre, plays for them.

yes , but without Gagné . I will also add that the Flyers made a lot of changes last summer , like NY did , and both teams took a lot of time to adjust their game .

I don't say that to back Briere and his comment , but i think that a lot of fans don't respect enough for what they did this season .

Transported Upstater 04-23-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# (Post 13831967)
yes , but without Gagné . I will also add that the Flyers made a lot of changes last summer , like NY did , and both teams took a lot of time to adjust their game .

I don't say that to back Briere and his comment , but i think that a lot of fans don't respect enough for what they did this season .

Flyers are going to go nowhere but up next year, if Gagne can be his old self.

As for youth, they'll have Claude Giroux coming in next year, and he'll make a GREAT fit next to Jeff Carter if Carter's brought back; Carter's a center but more of a finisher, and Giroux's a winger but more of a playmaker. And the year after, JVR will be added to the stables.

The Flyers have a very bright future if they can stabilize their blueline.

Bermy 04-23-2008 06:18 PM

he can choose which team he wants to go to, that's the point of being an UFA. It was never his destiny to go to Montreal. If he wanted to come here, he could have. I think it has worked out for both teams; we're in first place and the flyers made the playoffs

Blades 0f Steel 04-23-2008 06:20 PM

Stop obsessing over Daniel ****ing Briere and whether or not he should have been a Hab!!

I'm sick and tired of this ******* drama Hab fans always try to drum up out of nowhere. It's just as bad as reading about Days of Our Lives in the grocery checkout.

ThaDevilGirl 04-23-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby (Post 13832084)
Stop obsessing over Daniel ****ing Briere and whether or not he should have been a Hab!!

I'm sick and tired of this ******* drama Hab fans always try to drum up out of nowhere. It's just as bad as reading about Days of Our Lives in the grocery checkout.

Word. :handclap:

CrazyShea 04-23-2008 06:29 PM

Happy he never signed with us . We're a better team because of it. Thanks danielle

SpreeEndaz 04-23-2008 06:29 PM

No, it doesn't determine if Briere was right and I can proove it with primary order logic:

(Habs > Philly + Briere) =/= (Habs > Philly)

In other words, since Briere is actually playing with them, it doesn't proove if Philly was better than the Habs without him.

tinyzombies 04-23-2008 06:37 PM

By saying what he did say, I just don't think he's all that clever. Why would you get everyone in Quebec against you for no reason? He could have just said he wanted to live in a city where he and his family would be left alone.

Also, Gagne (and Knuble) are hurt, so we're playing a shell of their real team.

Evil Ted 04-23-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# (Post 13831900)
tough to answer , because the Flyers played without Gagné all season long . Imagine the Habs without Plekanec or Koivu for 60 - 70 games ; where the Habs would be today ?

Simon is a winger, Koivu and Plekanec are centers, completley out of context.

Valhoun* 04-23-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees (Post 13832322)
By saying what he did say, I just don't think he's all that clever. Why would you get everyone in Quebec against you for no reason? He could have just said he wanted to live in a city where he and his family would be left alone.

Also, Gagne (and Knuble) are hurt, so we're playing a shell of their real team.

I'm sure he wanted to say that the Montreal media and fans would slowly eat away at the souls of both he and his family but "Philly had a better chance to win" sounds a bit nicer. The treatment of stand-up guys like Saku makes free agents wary. It sucks but it's true.

Iwishihadacup 04-23-2008 06:42 PM

we should try to determine this serie if the Price is right or not IMO

LyleOdelein 04-23-2008 06:43 PM

Briere wanted to go to a good team. He went to one. Montreal wanted him, but he didn't want the pressure. I think he knew he wouldn't produce like he could with the expectations and being under the microscope in Montreal. I think he made a good choice. He had many options available, so this is a loaded question. In the end though, he signed a long term contract. I mean, what would have happened if he went to Calgary or Nasiville? The answer won't be known for at least a couple years.

SOLR 04-23-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transported Upstater (Post 13831955)
The fact that people are obsessing over Briere so much is basically proof that he made the right decision. If he was interested in privacy and peace at all, he wasn't going to find it in Montreal. You know it, and I know it.

Please, just let the Briere thing go. He chose to sign somewhere else; he does not have any obligation whatsoever to sign with the Habs at any point in his life, period. It seems like everyone's moved on but a select group of fans. Briere's a good player for the Philadelphia Flyers. Both the Flyers and Habs are good teams with bright futures. It is not any bigger of a deal than that.

Your missing the point. Nobody is arguing with you on those.

He said 1 week after the signing that he selected philly because they were a better team, thats what fans have against him.

On privacy, tax issues, no problems. We know. It's about the ignorant evaluation.