HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   GDT: Flames vs Thrashers (Tues, Feb 10th) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=50999)

Spike 02-10-2004 06:39 AM

GDT: Flames vs Thrashers (Tues, Feb 10th)

This is a big game for the Flames... Flames fan unhappy with Turek have been waiting for this day for quite awhile!

thoughts on the game?

Will the Kipper start in goal? Will he relieve Turek part way through the game? Will he sit out and watch Turek play the full 60 minutes?

scoring predictions?

Shappa 02-10-2004 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike
This is a big game for the Flames... Flames fan unhappy with Turek have been waiting for this day for quite awhile!

thoughts on the game?

Will the Kipper start in goal? Will he relieve Turek part way through the game? Will he sit out and watch Turek play the full 60 minutes?

scoring predictions?

Personally, the thing I'm watching for is how the fans take to Dany Heatley. Being his home town and all, you'd think that Calgary would be more supportive than anyone else, but I don't think I could really bring myself to go out of my way to support for a guy with a history such as his. Great hockey player, yes. Player who's on my good side for his play alone, yes. Guy who should be given a standing ovation for something other than his play, not a chance.

That said, he'll probably move people from their seats by his presence alone, it'd be kind of nice to actually be there to see how everyone reacts, and not how sportsnet spins it.

kruezer 02-10-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shappa
Personally, the thing I'm watching for is how the fans take to Dany Heatley. Being his home town and all, you'd think that Calgary would be more supportive than anyone else, but I don't think I could really bring myself to go out of my way to support for a guy with a history such as his. Great hockey player, yes. Player who's on my good side for his play alone, yes. Guy who should be given a standing ovation for something other than his play, not a chance.

That said, he'll probably move people from their seats by his presence alone, it'd be kind of nice to actually be there to see how everyone reacts, and not how sportsnet spins it.

I think it should be a good reception. I'm not quite sure how they'll react, but I think it will be generally positive.

I hope Kipper goes tonight so we can see if he's 'for real'
Any word on him?

4-3 Calgary :D
Iginla (2) Leopold Gelinas
Heatley (3) :)

Stifler 02-10-2004 04:47 PM

I also hope The Kipper is in tonight. Could give the team an added confidence just having him there. Also, I think the Flames need to score early to disrupt any momentum from Heatley returning home.

OBCT 02-10-2004 06:17 PM

I hope Kipper gets the call tonight as much as the next person, but I'm not as certain that he'll be the starter against Atlanta as some people might be...

I don't think Sutter wants to rush him at all, and I think he may have learned from the whole McLennan (who is hurt more severely than any of us are willing to admit I think) situation on what not to do with goalies - rush them.

The problem with not starting Kipper, though, is that the many Turek-haters in the Pengrowth Saddledome stands would be sorely disappointed to see him between the pipes in favour of Kipper - regardless of the "why".

Unless Noodles gets the start, which I highly doubt from some of the reports I've heard.

I'm not sure if Kipper is quite 100% yet, but I think he needs to start this game if he's 80%+. The Flames fans won't get off of Turek's back no matter what he does, and hometown fans booing their own team is anything but positive for the Flames. We need a confidence boost, and if nothing else, I think the Kipper can provide the spark the Flames need to get back on a roll here.

Whatever Sutter decides,
GO FLAMES GO!

kruezer 02-10-2004 08:31 PM

I don't think that was quite the start Kipper was hoping for, Kovalchuk, :madfire:

calgarylen13 02-10-2004 10:51 PM

Great game Kippers!

I'll take a 5-2 win anyday over a Turek infested 5-6 loss

GO FLAMES!

Big Deaner 02-10-2004 10:55 PM

Kipper played a solid if unspectacular game tonight, all in all a great first start back. The defense still looked shaky out there tonight especially Lydman and Gauthier. But even with the suspect defense the Flames found a way to win with Kipper in net.

:yo:

Cactus Jack 02-10-2004 11:26 PM

The time was a little shaky and in the first half of the game no one could complete a pass on the flames. But they settled down in the second half, and in the third period they played the kind of defense they need to get back to.

Man, Kovalchuk is scary. He's got so many moves, and Heatley, although he got a decent response at the start, was mostly unnoticeable.

Donovan and McAmmond have really been showing a lot lately. They both played tremendous games. Kiprusoff wasn't spectacular, but they got the win. However, he did make a couple great/lucky saves. With his different size, agility, and speed, he made some stops you could assume a big goalie like Turek would let in. Thank god he's back. I'm a big fan, and let's keep riding him!!!

And oh my does the powerplay suck. They couldn't EVER set the puck up in the offensive zone!!!

kruezer 02-10-2004 11:38 PM

I agree with most thoughts here, it took them a while til they could get going, but once they did it worked. I really like this forward group, especially once Yelle gets back and we have 4 centers (well 3 and a great convert). Who sits once he returns though? Green or Kobasew?

I like this line-up for the stretch drive....
Saprykin-Conroy-Iginla (really finding their game)
Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan (Consistancy!)
Reinprecht-Lombardi-Clark (could use some extra jump lately)
Oliwa-Yelle-Kobasew (Odd line here, could use some fixing)
Green

I like the thought of putting Kobasew with Rhino and Lombo, but the thought of them in the defensive zone is scary. Green could go for Oliwa as well if the enforcer isn't needed, or he could sub for Kobasew.

Leopold-Regehr
Lydman-Warrener
Gauthier-Commodore
Ference, Montador

Not sure what to do here, could encourage a deal, who knows, but I like it either way, even if they just keep them all, that leaves them alot of options

Of course...
Kiprusoff/Turek

Put J-Mac on the IR? He is hurt after all, then we can keep him around with a good excuse and shop Turek, if he has any value.

I like that line-up, perhaps a D-man/Turek deal, but solid for sure.

BTW Conroy is now 38th in all-time Flame scoring with 165 points ahead of Romanchych and Derek Morris.

OBCT 02-11-2004 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
Gelinas-McAmmond-Gelinas (Consistancy!)

Shouldn't that read "Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan"?

Just thought I'd point that out.

About the lines, I basically agree with them, except for an opinion I have for a slight addition kind of. I think that Yelle and Lombardi should switch between centering the third and fourth lines depending on the situation in the game. Yelle could center the third line when the Flames are leading the game, and Lombardi could center the third line when they're trailing, or something to that effect. It just seems to me that sticking Yelle with Oliwa and Kobasew over a long period of time may be wasting some valuable talent that the Flames could put to better use. Maybe. Even though his defensive assets are the most valuable part of his game for our club. Also, Green could see some time in the place of Oliwa\Kobasew (depending on the opposition, as you said) without much of a loss.

Other than that, I'd say keep the first two lines the way they are. They're doing good right now.

Nice win against Atlanta tonight and very nice to see some scoring from our top-end players. Keep it up!

P.S. My congrats go out to Conny. :D

kruezer 02-11-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBCT
Shouldn't that read "Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan"?

Just thought I'd point that out.

About the lines, I basically agree with them, except for an opinion I have for a slight addition kind of. I think that Yelle and Lombardi should switch between centering the third and fourth lines depending on the situation in the game. Yelle could center the third line when the Flames are leading the game, and Lombardi could center the third line when they're trailing, or something to that effect. It just seems to me that sticking Yelle with Oliwa and Kobasew over a long period of time may be wasting some valuable talent that the Flames could put to better use. Maybe. Even though his defensive assets are the most valuable part of his game for our club. Also, Green could see some time in the place of Oliwa\Kobasew (depending on the opposition, as you said) without much of a loss.

Other than that, I'd say keep the first two lines the way they are. They're doing good right now.

Nice win against Atlanta tonight and very nice to see some scoring from our top-end players. Keep it up!

P.S. My congrats go out to Conny. :D

True, Yelle has been solid this season, we could definetaly use him, especially since I'd take him for a face-off in a pinch over Lombardi.

And yes that should be Gelinas-McAmmond-Donovan, I guess I'm just too impressed with Gelinas :D