HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT - Is Pierre McGuire freelance? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=510896)

TomPlex 04-26-2008 03:56 PM

OT - Is Pierre McGuire freelance?

What's up with that? I mean, I don't really know how it works in this business, but he seems to be involved with many broadcasters: TSN, NBC, VERSUS...

There are also a few others who switch back and forth for different games.

Can anyone explain?

SpreeEndaz 04-26-2008 03:59 PM

Clones; not hard to look like a bald man with glasses and no significant traits.

Joey 04-26-2008 04:03 PM

I don't know why people hate Pierre, he's my favourite. He's the only guy who actually shows a considerable amount of passion towards the game, and he knows what he's talkin about

TomPlex 04-26-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 13875519)
I don't know why people hate Pierre, he's my favourite. He's the only guy who actually shows a considerable amount of passion towards the game, and he knows what he's talkin about

Thanks for the comment, but let's please keep this on topic. Now everyone's going to start talking about whether they like McGuire :rant:

Rayne* 04-26-2008 04:14 PM

I'm pretty sure he works for TSN primarily, but was hired on for NHL on NBC as well.

Dan K 04-26-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne (Post 13875662)
I'm pretty sure he works for TSN primarily, but was hired on for NHL on NBC as well.

Well he does, but I think the OP is wondering from a contractual perspective. Normally you wouldn't be allowed - if under contract to TSN - to work for a rival. Now there might be an exception here since TSN uses NBC's feed to show the games, but generally it's a breach of a non-competition clause.

So this leads me to think that either there is an exception as mentioned above, or he is in someway a free lancer with some special arrangement.

Diamond Joe 04-26-2008 04:25 PM

I've actually wondered the same thing for a while, I think that has to be the case. I know in the US they like more colour than play by play and McGuire provides that, I think that goes hand in hand with the passion for football, Pierre gets to chime in with his 2 cents on NBC.

Trizent 04-26-2008 04:58 PM

I believe Pierre recently extended his TSN by 6 years. Obviously the NBC gig is done with TSN's blessing.

All of the announcers on NBC's NHL games do work with other networks. 100%.

timlap 04-26-2008 05:04 PM

Many broadcasters prefer to avoid exclusive contracts so they can take on extra gigs with other networks.

Some networks (think government funded!) are reluctant to give out such contracts. TSN is (imo) more in tune with the times, so you will see people on TSN as well as other places.

snafu7x7 04-26-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomPlex (Post 13875396)
What's up with that? I mean, I don't really know how it works in this business, but he seems to be involved with many broadcasters: TSN, NBC, VERSUS...

There are also a few others who switch back and forth for different games.

Can anyone explain?

no hes just a *********

snafu7x7 04-26-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu7x7 (Post 13879991)
no hes just a *********

pardon me, a 'dbag'

Marc the Habs Fan 04-26-2008 08:55 PM

It's simple...his contract with TSN allows him to work those weekend games on NBC. Since he is known as ''THE hockey analyst'' nowadays, NBC wants him on their broadcasts.

One Man Rock Band 04-27-2008 05:12 AM

I agree with most that is posted here.

I'm sure there are some companies McGuire is banned from participating in (The Score, Sportsnet, etc).

SOLR 04-27-2008 06:19 AM

NBC is no competition for TSN, it's not the same market. He could work for RDS(same owner as TSN), or any US broadcasters since they are a different market.

Agnostic 04-27-2008 09:32 AM

I am not sure why we have this thread, it should be obvious not every contract is created equal, but Mcguire probably has a contract to do specific games for TSN that are identified well in advance. Aside from that he can do whatever work he wishes in radio and other TV telecasts, as long as he meets his obligations in each of his contracts and they don't collide.

As for competing networks, that may (or may not) be in the contract, but remember that in baseball guys like Pat Tabler or Rance Mulliniks will do a Jays broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet and then will be doing the same role on TSN the day after. As long as the contracts sort that out there's little problem.