HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Video scouting opportunites (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=511582)

Drop the Sopel 04-28-2008 06:31 PM

Video scouting opportunites

With the recent advent of video scouting I'm curious if there's a market or need for personnel in North America or abroad to track and video prospective players. If anyone has any information on how to get a foot in the door or where to access information on video scouting and possible career opportunities it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Plato 04-28-2008 06:38 PM

I would imagine you would need an extensive hockey back round to get into something like that.

jumptheshark 05-01-2008 08:07 AM

well

first roger nielson just went ugh

it is not new.

First, you will need to understand basic concepts of hockey, style of hockey that the coach employes, understand basic physical movements of players on the ice and lots and lots of other things-- it is not just watching games on the TV--it is also review your teams practICES

Drop the Sopel 05-02-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 13947442)
well

first roger nielson just went ugh

it is not new.

First, you will need to understand basic concepts of hockey, style of hockey that the coach employes, understand basic physical movements of players on the ice and lots and lots of other things-- it is not just watching games on the TV--it is also review your teams practICES

Maybe my intentions weren't clear. I'm not looking to be involved in player evaluations in any way whatsoever. What I am curious to find out is, are teams that are leaning towards scouting via video as opposed to watching live looking for people to travel around collecting video of prospective players. Specifically in markets where games aren't televised. Is it advantagous to scout video where key players are isolated and the focus is on players of interest? Is this something that's already taking place and how would someone go about getting involved. Could you collect video of prospects and sell the tape to several teams interested as a contractor?

Again a willingness to travel, camera equipment and an ability to follow the play should really be all that's needed for what I'm refering to. If anyone has any information or ideas where I can find resources to help me along it would be much appreciated.

Sotnos 05-03-2008 09:32 AM

Interesting idea you have. I guess who you'd want to talk to would be someone from the scouting department of an NHL team. Bug some people on the HF staff, they're bound to know the e-mail of a scout or two who'd be willing to answer a few questions.

Fugu 05-03-2008 10:24 AM

Finding someone affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres may be one place to start. A couple of years ago, they made some cuts to their scouting staff and announced plans to rely more on video scouting.

Drop the Sopel 05-03-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 13972758)
Finding someone affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres may be one place to start. A couple of years ago, they made some cuts to their scouting staff and announced plans to rely more on video scouting.

The Buffalo Sabres model is actually what got me thinking. If they're successful with this approach it could spur other team's to also add a larger emphasis on scouting from home via video.

Does anyone know of other franchise's that have also put a larger emphasis on video scouting in the last few years?

Drop the Sopel 05-03-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotnos (Post 13972534)
Interesting idea you have. I guess who you'd want to talk to would be someone from the scouting department of an NHL team. Bug some people on the HF staff, they're bound to know the e-mail of a scout or two who'd be willing to answer a few questions.

That's a good idea. Keep 'em coming boys.

speedway 05-04-2008 12:27 PM

I think that several organizations are doing that:Hockey Prospects Online (HPO)being one of them.

Fugu 05-04-2008 07:39 PM

I seem to remember something about the Wild falling into this category, but don't take my word for it. Someone mentioned in our thread on LA that the Kings had cut back on scouting and were perhaps - therefore - relying on video scouting. Now that does make me ask... if teams are trying to cut travel/scouting costs, would they be handling video scouting directly (maybe not) and are there organizations to whom this is subcontracted? (As mentioned directly above by cal.)