HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Is Corvo a Keeper? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=51248)

willie 02-10-2004 10:22 PM

Is Corvo a Keeper?
 
Needless to say, Corvo sucked earlier in the year. He wasn't scoring, he was making awful decisions with the puck, creating a plethora of turnovers and just being generally unreliable defensively. Oh and making some horrible pinching decisions. (no pun intended :p )

To be honest, I couldn't believe how bad he had been playing. I thought he was one of our best defenseman last season (both offensively and defensively) and was thinking this would be his coming out party. Of course he struggled horribly but lately he has really picked up his game. He had the two game winners against Anaheim and played probably his best game in the NHL against Calgary before the break. And if you look at his stats on the whole, he has had a drastic increase in points:

First 20GP 0G 5A 5PTS
Last 27GP 5G 10A 15PTS

Pro-rate his last 27 games over a full schedule and you get a 15 goal, 30 assist campaign. Now I don't expect him to put up those types of numbers but I could see him putting up 35 points a year if given ample PP time. (in fact he could still hit 35 this year) And, not only has his offensive game been jump started, but he is playing a lot better defensively too. He is never going to be a Matty Norstrom defensively but, on the whole, he been more than adequate in the latter half of
his season thus far. Far less turnovers, better positional play, smarter decision making etc. (you know all the old cliches :rolly: )

So my question is, is Corvo a long term fixture in the Kings defense plans? He is only 26 so he has another good decade of hockey in him and, while he has been very Jekyll and Hyde, he has shown a lot of promising things. You have to think Visnovsky (27) is in the long term plans as well Gleason and Grebeshkov. Hopefully Petiot pans out as advertised and Rome gets signed as well. Than factor in potential trades, future draftees, free agent signings (hey, it could happen one of these days :)) and our defense should be very solid in the future. So is there room for Corvo? Do you want Corvo in the long term plans?

jfont 02-10-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
Pro-rate his last 27 games over a full schedule and you get a 15 goal, 30 assist campaign.

dang it! who needs rob blake when we have jc?

LuckyLUC20 02-10-2004 10:40 PM

I don't know if he's a keeper, but these avatars sure are helping him out! :joker:

Mindcircus 02-10-2004 10:46 PM

...
 
He's got such a hard shot. If he bulks up and becomes more a physical force, why can't he become our next Rob Blake? I was watching the super skills competition this weekend and was wondering how Corvo would do in the hardest shot comp. He's got a massive slap shot from the point. Another 2 assists and a plus 2 tonight against the Wild. Keep it up...

Legionnaire 02-10-2004 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
I don't know if he's a keeper, but these avatars sure are helping him out! :joker:

Amen to that!

Kingz4life 02-10-2004 11:05 PM

I have felt all season long that he would get it together and he has. He had started off very very slow but he has really picked up his game and i think he can be in the future plans for the KINGS. He's just going to keep improving and i think he can even be a all-star defenseman in the future.

agentfouser 02-10-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I have felt all season long that he would get it together and he has. He had started off very very slow but he has really picked up his game and i think he can be in the future plans for the KINGS. He's just going to keep improving and i think he can even be a all-star defenseman in the future.

i guess the sophmore slump was pretty rough for him, but he seems to have pushed through that. i would be very comfortable with him as a third-pairing defenseman who saw power play time and could adequately fill a top-four spot if necessitated by injury.

KingPurpleDinosaur 02-11-2004 12:44 AM

i always liked him and thought he had a good future. duno why everyone roasted him early in the year, wasn't like he was dirt horrible. just not great. i dont think he's the next rob blake, but he'll definatley be a solid #4-6 dman in the future

no name 02-11-2004 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navigator
i guess the sophmore slump was pretty rough for him, but he seems to have pushed through that. i would be very comfortable with him as a third-pairing defenseman who saw power play time and could adequately fill a top-four spot if necessitated by injury.

He wasnt given a chance at the beginning but due to injuries he has been counted on and has risen to the challenge. I just get the feeling that the Kings dont think highly of him and that he is not really thought of for the future.

Mindcircus 02-11-2004 02:32 AM

...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by no name
He wasnt given a chance at the beginning but due to injuries he has been counted on and has risen to the challenge. I just get the feeling that the Kings dont think highly of him and that he is not really thought of for the future.


You look really happy saying that Mr. Corvo. :)

mysteryman 02-11-2004 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
I don't know if he's a keeper, but these avatars sure are helping him out! :joker:

Totally agree....its the avatars and with this post Corvo is most certainly guarenteed a goal tonight.

Kearney 02-11-2004 01:21 PM

I think Rome is massively underrated and could be our #1 in 3-4 years.

mysteryman 02-12-2004 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysteryman
Totally agree....its the avatars and with this post Corvo is most certainly guarenteed a goal tonight.


Did I call it or what!

Old Hickory 02-12-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
I don't know if he's a keeper, but these avatars sure are helping him out! :joker:

The first rule of Corvo club. Dont talk about Corvo club
The second rule of Corvo club. Don't talk about Corvo club

LuckyLUC20 02-12-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
The first rule of Corvo club. Dont talk about Corvo club
The second rule of Corvo club. Don't talk about Corvo club

What's the third rule??? ;)

guzmania 02-12-2004 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
What's the third rule??? ;)

Always wash your hands when you're done?
:dunno:

two out of three* 02-12-2004 06:48 PM

I think if Corvo keeps playing the way he is playing he is definitley a keeper. This guy believe it or not scores HUGE Goals for us. 2 GW's against Anaheim. Tied it up against Atlanta after he allowed the go-ahead. Tied the game up against Edmonton with 1:00 left which eventually led to the Holland GW. Who needs Visnovsky when you got "JC?" Corvo's new nickname: Jesus Christ, because your either saying "Jesus Christ What was that!" Or, "JESUS CHRIST CORVO TIED IT UP!"

Kingz4life 02-12-2004 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
I think if Corvo keeps playing the way he is playing he is definitley a keeper. This guy believe it or not scores HUGE Goals for us. 2 GW's against Anaheim. Tied it up against Atlanta after he allowed the go-ahead. Tied the game up against Edmonton with 1:00 left which eventually led to the Holland GW. Who needs Visnovsky when you got "JC?" Corvo's new nickname: Jesus Christ, because your either saying "Jesus Christ What was that!" Or, "JESUS CHRIST CORVO TIED IT UP!"

The KINGS need Visnovsky. :D

two out of three* 02-12-2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingz4life
The KINGS need Visnovsky. :D

No S**t

Kingz4life 02-12-2004 11:28 PM

Who needs Visnovsky when you got "JC?" Just answerin ur question :joker:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.