HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT - Laptop customization (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=513049)

JackieChan 05-02-2008 03:08 PM

OT - Laptop customization

Hey, does anybody know a couple of good websites where I could customize a laptop, much like dell.ca? I'm looking for smaller, local companies, to compare to the mainstream pc brands.

Edit: I found a couple "online coupons" to get discounts on dell computers, but none of them seem to work (even if my customized laptop matches the requirements). If anybody already used such coupons successfully, I'd like to know how!

Thx!

Domenic 05-02-2008 03:16 PM

www.Lenovo.com/ca

ThinkPad T61p is a really good laptop.

JackieChan 05-02-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domenic (Post 13965078)
www.Lenovo.com/ca

ThinkPad T61p is a really good laptop.

Thanks I'll check it out. I'm doing the shopping for my brother, he's going to law school this fall, and what he needs is 4gb of ram, 120gb hd, 128mb graphics card, 15,4 inch screen, in the slimmest package possible. If anybody has a suggestion, please tell!

Thanks Domenic, I appreciate

znk 05-02-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieChan (Post 13964990)
Hey, does anybody know a couple of good websites where I could customize a laptop, much like dell.ca? I'm looking for smaller, local companies, to compare to the mainstream pc brands.

Edit: I found a couple "online coupons" to get discounts on dell computers, but none of them seem to work (even if my customized laptop matches the requirements). If anybody already used such coupons successfully, I'd like to know how!

Thx!

You have to click on the links and they will bring you to the page where you can chose the modles that work with the coupon.
http://www.couponcraze.com/coupons/dellca/

Also visit www.notebookforums.com

You'll get the best info there.

znk 05-02-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieChan (Post 13965129)
Thanks I'll check it out. I'm doing the shopping for my brother, he's going to law school this fall, and what he needs is 4gb of ram, 120gb hd, 128mb graphics card, 15,4 inch screen, in the slimmest package possible. If anybody has a suggestion, please tell!

What's the price range?
4gigs of ram realy necessary?

Dell latitudes are nice notebooks.

vesperal 05-02-2008 05:19 PM

Check Ncix.com

Lots of models, good price, reliable company. Plus, no "tvq" if your in Quebec.

SenatorsFC 05-02-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vesperal (Post 13966386)
Check Ncix.com

Lots of models, good price, reliable company. Plus, no "tvq" if your in Quebec.

ncix usually has the best prices online. Like you said no provincial tax since NCIX is based in B.C.

I'd also check out http://www.eurocom.com/ (pretty sure they are based in Ottawa so not too far), it's a site for Desktop Replacement notebooks. It can give you some ideas and you can compare with other sites.

Good luck!

superstar436 05-02-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

what 4gb of ram

is he designing rockets for the nasa and needs to install catia

2gb is very good unless you use eng and programming tools

Kachino 05-03-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstar436 (Post 13968191)
what 4gb of ram

is he designing rockets for the nasa and needs to install catia

2gb is very good unless you use eng and programming tools

That was my exact thought! 4 GB for a law student? What is he going to do with that? With 2 GB, I'm able to run CATIA, Matlab, C++, etc...

JackieChan 05-03-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kachino82 (Post 13970172)
That was my exact thought! 4 GB for a law student? What is he going to do with that? With 2 GB, I'm able to run CATIA, Matlab, C++, etc...

Well I hear Vista eats up quite a big chunk of ram...

Also, while the software he's going to use during his studies won't require 4GB, it will be useful for video editing, multitasking, etc. Maxing out the ram now might not be more expensive in the end, since all configurations use the 2 slots, and upgrading in the future would require replacing the 2 brackets.

Thank you very much guys for your help!

Guillemin 05-03-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

I'm taking this laptop to law school. 512 MB of RAM is enough. Give him 4 GB, and all he'll do is play games instead of study.

habs fan uk 05-03-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillemin (Post 13973399)
I'm taking this laptop to law school. 512 MB of RAM is enough. Give him 4 GB, and all he'll do is play games instead of study.

You say that like it is a bad thing! :sarcasm:

ALthough I'm just about to do my finals in law @ Liverpool Uni and my 512MB ram has served me fine over the 3 years. Tho any games I do play is on a console

Beakermania* 05-03-2008 02:03 PM

4gb might be a bit much... 2gb should be enough.... but 512 is definetely not enough.... remember if he is taking it to his first year of law school; he probably wants the laptop to last 3-4 years.

Domenic 05-04-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 13974391)
4gb might be a bit much... 2gb should be enough.... but 512 is definetely not enough.... remember if he is taking it to his first year of law school; he probably wants the laptop to last 3-4 years.

If he's going to law school, he'll eventually get paid by the hour - the slower the laptop the better ;)

Beakermania* 05-04-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domenic (Post 13988740)
If he's going to law school, he'll eventually get paid by the hour - the slower the laptop the better ;)

I'm in Law School now.... trust me you don't want the slower laptop till after you are done.... And he'll be on salary, his firm will be the one paid by the hour.