HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bulis- still developing or plateau'd at 3 liner? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=51331)

Joe Cole 02-11-2004 08:53 AM

Bulis- still developing or plateau'd at 3 liner?

I have been less then impressed with Bulis' play of late. It seems like he always fumbling for the puck and coughing it up. Is he being utilized in the wrong way?

In any case, it seems obvious that right now he should not have extended stays on the Koivu or Ribs line.

What do you think?

Is he still a work in progress or has he plateau'd at a 3rd line status (defensively sound, good skater, good forechecker with the occassional great looking goal)?

Marc the Habs Fan 02-11-2004 09:04 AM

3rd liner. And a damn fine one at that.

#44_delivers 02-11-2004 09:05 AM

he's a dream 3rd liner, but the jury is still out on him.

All-Star 02-11-2004 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole
I have been less then impressed with Bulis' play of late. It seems like he always fumbling for the puck and coughing it up. Is he being utilized in the wrong way?

In any case, it seems obvious that right now he should not have extended stays on the Koivu or Ribs line.

What do you think?

Is he still a work in progress or has he plateau'd at a 3rd line status (defensively sound, good skater, good forechecker with the occassional great looking goal)?

He doesn't appear to have any confidence problems, and he's been consistently bringing the same level of play to the ice for over a year now... I really don't think there is any untapped scoring potential left. He has peaked offensively. He's one of the better defensive players in the league though, so he'll have a place on this team for a very long time.

Darz 02-11-2004 09:12 AM

Bulis has all the qualities you want in a first liner except he has problems putting the puck in the net and handling and distributing the puck like a first liner. If somehow he could improve these aspects of his game he would be a great first liner, imo.
At his age you have to wonder if these are things that he can improve on or if he has sort of plateau out.

Corey 02-11-2004 09:26 AM

I'll go with the consensus. Get someone else to play on his spot and put him on the third line. And get rid of Dagenais. He's stopped scoring but he hasn't stopped screwing things up.

Darz 02-11-2004 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
I'll go with the consensus. Get someone else to play on his spot and put him on the third line. And get rid of Dagenais. He's stopped scoring but he hasn't stopped screwing things up.

The problem being that if you are to remove those two as top six forwards can the habs really replace them with players that can do as well or better in those spots?????

#44_delivers 02-11-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
The problem being that if you are to remove those two as top six forwards can the habs really replace them with players that can do as well or better in those spots?????

not within the organization Rightnow.

Darz 02-11-2004 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers

Exactly. So until we can find the player to take those roles, Dags and Bulis are probablely going to fill them, although Dags could be skating on thin ice if he doesn't push his game up a notch or two.

turnbuckle* 02-11-2004 10:24 AM

I have no problem with Ward taking Dagenais' spot on the second line. He wouldn't score as many goals as Dagenais, but he's a better passer, smarter, tougher, a better forchecker, backchecker and skater, and infinitely more energetic. He's looked good in limited auditions on the second, in my view he's earned a few full games there to see what he can do. Ward is just now getting more comfortable with his stickhandling at the NHL level - as his confidence increases (like it did in the AHL last season) his offensive game will improve. I think he's been one of our top six forwards, and should thus be given the ice time Dagenais has been getting:

Bulis Koivu Ryder
Zednik Ribs Ward
Begin Juneau Sunny
Langdon Kilger Dackell/Dags

I'd like to see Perreault dealt and either Gratton, Plekanec or Higgins called up to center the fourth line that's if Gainey doesn't pick up any forwards. Smyth would look awfully good in Bulis' spot.

Guy Caballero 02-11-2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers

That's why we need a trade. I know we're not going to win the cup this year, but if we could beat Philly/Toronto/Ottawa in rd. 1, that would be a huge moral victory and would give our guys hunger and confidence next season. We have to re-establish a playoff presence sooner or later. I say we start getting serious now.

#44_delivers 02-11-2004 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
That's why we need a trade. I know we're not going to win the cup this year, but if we could beat Philly/Toronto/Ottawa in rd. 1, that would be a huge moral victory and would give our guys hunger and confidence next season. We have to re-establish a playoff presence sooner or later. I say we start getting serious now.

i agree with you whole hearted on this one, if it looks like will be in the playoffs come deadline time then i do see at least 1 big trade BG will do, maybe even 2.

Blackshad 02-11-2004 10:54 AM

3rd liner, but a very good one.

Wildbeliefs 02-11-2004 11:21 AM

I'm not sure if I'd say Bulis has already plateau'd, but he doesn't look to be 1st line material. I'd have to agree with everyone and say that he's a perfect third liner... but as I mentioned before, I don't see him going down to the third line as long as we have so many other players that can play there and so little players that can play on the first.

markov` 02-11-2004 11:22 AM

Jan Bulis is a 3rd liner on a contender team. Anyway, with all the youth coming up, we won't have any room for him on the scoring lines. Bulis - Higgins - Ward :yo:

Dynasty 02-11-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Bulis has all the qualities you want in a first liner except he has problems putting the puck in the net and handling and distributing the puck like a first liner. If somehow he could improve these aspects of his game he would be a great first liner, imo.
At his age you have to wonder if these are things that he can improve on or if he has sort of plateau out.

But these are big aspects, aren't they?

Dynasty 02-11-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbuckle
I have no problem with Ward taking Dagenais' spot on the second line. He wouldn't score as many goals as Dagenais, but he's a better passer, smarter, tougher, a better forchecker, backchecker and skater, and infinitely more energetic. He's looked good in limited auditions on the second, in my view he's earned a few full games there to see what he can do. Ward is just now getting more comfortable with his stickhandling at the NHL level - as his confidence increases (like it did in the AHL last season) his offensive game will improve. I think he's been one of our top six forwards, and should thus be given the ice time Dagenais has been getting:

Bulis Koivu Ryder
Zednik Ribs Ward
Begin Juneau Sunny

I'd like to see Perreault dealt and either Gratton, Plekanec or Higgins called up to center the fourth line that's if Gainey doesn't pick up any forwards. Smyth would look awfully good in Bulis' spot.

He would definitely help create more scoring chances on that line and is way better than Dags defensively.

tchendoh 02-11-2004 02:02 PM

Exactly! Bulis is a great 3rd-liner...

tritone 02-11-2004 03:22 PM

Ward and an Angel from Edmonton

I think we could replace Dags with Ward on the second line , he looked great last night .... as for placing Bulis on the 3rd , we'd have to land the Smyth rumor . Imagine that line ? Ryder - Koivu - Smyth . Whew! GO HABS GO!!!

Darz 02-11-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynasty
But these are big aspects, aren't they?

Definately. There are the only reason guys like Yannic Perreault and Pierre Dagenais have any sort of pro hockey careers.

Ya gotta remember though, not too many teams in the league, if any, have 6 top quality offensive forwards on there first two lines.

Corey 02-11-2004 03:25 PM

Ward isn't a long-term solution. He isn't a scorer. The opponents can doubleteam Zednik and Ribeiro in many situations.

tritone 02-11-2004 03:33 PM

Hamilton

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
Ward isn't a long-term solution. He isn't a scorer. The opponents can doubleteam Zednik and Ribeiro in many situations.

Why exactly do we need a long term solution for this one?
I think Ward can take care of the job until next year , provided there is no lock-out maybe we'll see Perez and Balej stepping up .
And I don't see Dags doing anything more than what Ward can do from now until the end of the season anyway so why not ?
It's not like we're removing a quality player to replace him with a young gun . Dags isn't doing anything out there, looks sluggish, hits like a 170 pound player with no wheaties in him . At least Ward goes all out on every shift recently .

Team_Spirit 02-11-2004 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbuckle

Bulis Koivu Ryder
Zednik Ribs Ward
Begin Juneau Sunny

I agree with you , Ribs and Z need someone who can use his body to makes play's and make room . Plus he can create havoc in front of the net while Ribs handle the puck or Z use his speed .